Things I'm looking forward to for next season... | The Boneyard

Things I'm looking forward to for next season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So I know we've had the debates about the starting lineup, and I'm betting we will have a few more before November rolls around, but this time I wanted to "talk" about what I'm looking forward to next year vis-a-vis each individual player...

Stewie - After her benching with Morgan, she came back more focused, but didn't really pour it on consistently (at least from an offensive perspective) for the rest of the season. Having said that, she was ferocious on defense - almost every single game AND every single minute she was on the court. She was an absolute terror with her Inspector Gadget arms and deceptive athleticism. But for next year, I'd like to see her more consistent on offense. She totally deserved all the NPOY awards she received, but it would have shut down all debate if she'd been stronger and more consistent on offense. While her mid range game was solid, looking forward to her expanding her 3 point prowess, AND bringing the intensity every single game.

Moriah - To me she may be the MVP on the team. Not necessarily the best player (although you could argue she is), but the MVP. She was the highest rated guard ever coming out of HS and she's showing why. I have never seen a UCONN player be such a terror on defense 100% of every game she plays in. She doesn't have the intensity in her facial expressions, and smiles and seems to enjoy herself at times on the court, but no one can doubt the incredible skill and athleticism she possesses. And that's just her defense. As a 5'7" PG, her offensive decision making (passing, scoring) is phenomenal. I'm not sure how much she can improve, but for next season, I just hope she continues to work on her game and take it to an even higher level if she can get there.

Morgan - She reminded us this year why she was ranked #1 in her class before her injuries and why several of us thought that we had the top 3 players in the entire class. Next year I'd like to see her continue to work on her quickness and speed - This was really only her first fully healthy season in a while dating back to HS. Her 3 point shot was abysmal early in the season but really picked up as the season went on. I'd also like to see her fine tune her post moves as ND showed how to shut her down with double teams in the NC game when she'd "start to make her move". Can't wait to see her next season.

Nurse - If ever a kid was ready to step in and make an impact as a freshman, it was Kia Nurse. I think we all marveled at how poised she was. She had some offensive pop and ended the season averaging 10.2 PPG - impressive, but in the last third or so of the season it seemed she petered out a bit. Tired? Freshman wall? She still was a terror on defense and fearless in driving to the hoop, but next year I'd like to see even more consistency out of her offensively and also see her work on posting up some guards like KML would occasionally do. Very few 2G's are stronger than Nurse. I'm not sure how much of a sophomore leap we can expect - she was so good as a freshman, but if she does have a leap, we will all be blown away.

Chong - not going to rehash why she lost her starting job but we read comments that her lack of confidence made her game performances self fulfilling. I'm looking for her to really work on a few things - continue with her defensive work in getting down in stances and improving her lateral quickness and reaction time. Also fine tune her decision making in when to shoot vs. when to pass or attack the basket. We saw flashes of brilliance punctuated with a disappearing act. Attending a "PG college" over the summer would work wonders for her IMHO. If she can get her confidence back on track, I'm betting she can average 20 MPG and 8-10 PPG as well as 3+ APG next year. I think as fans, we are all rooting big time for her and the frustrating part is everyone knows she's capable, except perhaps, herself.

Williams - She showed us unequivocally why ASGR had her as the #2 kid in the class. Otherworldly athleticism, tenacious rebounding, and a great ability to elevate and put the ball in the basket. BUT she was a guard in college. Time to work on all her guard skills especially her mid range game, FT shooting, and ball handling/passing. The sky really is the limit for this kid. She has a tenacious work ethic and desire to be great and to be great for her team. Can't wait to see this kid grow and improve.

Ekmark - Next season will be make or break for her IMHO. For a kid known for her 3 point shooting in HS, it was largely non-existent this past season. She got a pass for coming off injuries but she needs to see a big leap in skill and ability if she wants to carve out any meaningful PT and not get lost behind the 3 fantastic incoming freshmen. I'll be honest - I'm worried for her, but she know what she needs to do. Work on fitness and quickness and improve her lateral movement on defense. Work on ball handling, passing, and shooting. It's really a tall task and even if she makes the normal sophomore leap, I'm not sure it will be enough. Rooting for her big time. I could see her becoming a Madison Cable type of player with that kind of impact, but she needs to spend the summer with a fitness trainer hitting it HARD.

Butler - There is a TON of PT available this coming year given we lost KML & Stokes. They averaged over 28 and 18 MPG respectively. If everyone else averages similar MPG next year (which they likely won't), that means there are 46 MPG to spread around. She already showed what a great teammate and how hard a worker she is. The coaches and players have raved about her. There's been a lot of debate about what to expect but here's what I'm looking forward to... Will she remind us of Stef as a sophomore, or does she have other strengths and weaknesses that will lead to other observations? I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an inside force she is - back to the basket or face up game. I'm hoping she's effective enough to give Stewie lots of room to roam instead of plugging her into the post like we did for much of last year. And I hope she's a force on defense too. She's 2" taller than Stokes, but obviously less athletic (almost everyone is!). Can't wait to see what she brings!

Samuelson
- #1 kid coming out of HS. Known as one of the best 3 point shooters around. But...I don't see her shooting as well as KML. Having said that, she's taller and leaner and a really good ball handler. I'm hoping to see her fully healthy - she often seems to have a tweak or illness somewhere. During team USA's games, she had strep and an ankle tweak. She missed the Jordan classic with another injury. She seems injury and illness prone so I'm hoping she's able to get beyond that and be able to practice 100% because that's what we need. When fully healthy and engaged, there's a reason she's the #1 kid in her class.

Collier - If Samuelson really is #1 in her class, Collier is #1A. Sort of like Stewie and Moriah. I really think Collier is one of the top 2 or 3 kids in the class. She does EVERYTHING on the court and once Geno and co. start coaching her up, I expect her to get even better. It would not surprise me to see her struggle a bit as Geno works on tweaking and improving her play, but this kid already reminds me of Maya Moore, and while she has less "hype", I think she has a chance to make almost as much an impact as Maya did.

Boykin - She is a glue player and a kid who seems to love the dirty work. Cleaning up rebounds, putbacks around the hoop, solid defense, steals, etc. I don't expect big numbers from her but I do expect to see big effort. I know she's capable of big offensive numbers, but like Stokes, it would not surprise me to see her let others do the scoring while she simply excels at everything else.

Pulido/Lawler
- don't want to leave them out but realistically, they are "walk ons" regardless of their scholarship status and will likely only ever get minutes at the end of games. Still, great kids, great teammates, and they give 100% of themselves 100% of the time. You cannot put a price tag on teammates like that.

Lastly, while I think most everyone will agree there are a lot of teams who will be better next year, I honestly think UCONN is better by at least as much, if not more, than every other team out there. What we bring back and what we add is 2nd to none.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Agree with your thoughts on Collier and Samuelson as #1 and 1A. And if that's true, I LOVE the thought of those two, Butler, Tuck, and Nurse, as the starting five of the 2016-17 season.

I'm very intrigued by what Chong can do. Her shooting percentages were 47-37-74 from FG-3PG-FT. That's just so close to being a real impact player. Imagine Saniya coming off the bench at 50-40-80. That would be unfair...and I'd be ecstatic for her.

There's an obvious physical similarity to Stef in Butler, and I can't wait to see what she's going to do either.

Morgan showed a knack for timely treys at the end of the tourney, but I agree I'd be deliriously giddy if she also showed a knack for reliable treys.

There are moments when I like what I see in Courtney, and if she has her full basketball legs under her all season, it could make a difference.

Gabby has all kinds of athletic game, and there's a leap she can take therewith. Kia has all kinds of precocity- another tool for the same leap.

Finally, let me put it like this: we have the best overall player in the game, and the best point guard in the game. And we have a host of other very good and/or high-potential kids on this squad. I don't want to instill uconn fans with a sense of entitlement, nor do I want to jinx anything...but damn, this is a team that should win #11 and do so with flying colors.

And yeah, I don't know enough about Boykin, but if Geno recruited her and she is motivated to learn from him, good things will happen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My 2 centavos: Butler is going to burst onto the scene and be just what the doctor ordered. Gabby has a tall order of ball handling and shooting work this summer. Saniya: talked to death. Morgan, too, will benefit from Butler's presence. Kia may be close to her plateau, though she can improve and she won't stop trying. Lou has been run ragged for years; a little more weight and strength is what is needed here. Boykin will surprise. Collier - holy cow! An embarrassment of riches. NO INJURIES!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice - but I'll disagree or add thoughts:
1. Stewart - she shoots about 33% from 3 and 55% from 2 - and makes under 20% of her points from 3. I actually think that is about right - enough to scare defenders and set up everything else. Yes - maybe a few more shots a game, but with the rest of the offense on the team being in the 17-19 ppg range is not bad.

2. Moriah/Kia - I actually think we may see more of a Sue/Diana dynamic with Kia becoming more of a PG and Moriah becoming more of a two guard. Moriah will still lead the team, and initiate the offense most of the time, but she was easily the most efficient scorer on the team this year (and probably last year as well) and should be getting more shots. She scores 1.474 points per shot - Stewart, Tuck, and Nurse were at 1.40 and KML at 1.42. (Talk about consistency in the starting 5!)

Reaction Score
Eric - regarding Morgan Tuck (hope this doesn't come across wrong). She is a big girl and I WRONGLY thought she would have quickness deficiencies - especially on defense. So I made it a point to watch her and she is surprisingly quick. I was also concerned that her knee brace would hinder her speed up and down the court but it didn't. All that said, I suspect Morgan would be the first to say she intends to improve those areas plus all others. Personally I thought Morgan could have rebounded better but with Stewie cleaning the glass like she did, my rebounding opinion could be off base.

Regarding SC, we all hope you're right.

Great post!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I read all of this from very savvy posters and think: a lesser coach would slack off, supremely confident. Fortunately, as Geno himself has revealed, Geno is still that little immigrant kid and he will never stop striving. The first half of next year may be a bit chaotic, but I suspect the second half will be a masterpiece.

Reaction Score
This year's UConn Champions were an incredible blend of extraordinarily talented individuals who were always willing to put their team first, ahead of any and all personal goals. And while we undeniably had the nation's best player, the nation's best point guard and the nation's best three-point shooter, it was the beautiful coming-together of so many diverse personalities and skill sets that enabled this fabulous team to succeed, for this team to become something greater that merely the sum of its parts. Whatever you want to call it- chemistry, selflessness, team oriented players, self-sacrifice- the fact that every starter had over 100 assists was, for me, the most illustrative explanation for NC #10 than points-per-game or rebounds-per-game or any other number. They always played hard, and they always played together. And I look forward to that next year.

So, having said what I liked most about last year's Champions, I think I am most looking forward to seeing another huge leap ahead from Morgan Tuck. After battling knee injuries throughout her freshman season, and averaging only about 15 minutes per game, Morgan had an even more challenging 2013-14 campaign, playing in only 8 games for a grand total of 116 minutes. This past year was Morgan's first full season of good health, and Morgan was incredible, playing at an All-American level. And though she averaged great numbers- 25 mpg, 14 ppg, 5.5 rebpg, and 3 assists pg- she was doing all this braced-up, just one year after right-knee micro-fracture surgery! So I am looking forward to an even greater Morgan Tuck next year as a steadily healthier knee and physical conditioning will allow her to maximize her seemingly boundless wealth of talent and leadership skills. So, yeah, Morgan is "what I'm looking forward to for next season"- and Moriah and Stewie and Kia and Gabby and Lou and Napheesa and..........

-More than any individual performance, I'm really looking forward to more of what Coach McCallie said about our TEAM after the Duke game: "The bottom line is those kids play harder than everybody else. Those kids play hard. They do not relent. They just don't quit." Special kids. Special kind of TEAM.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing:

Gabby and Collier on the court at the same time
Morgan being an AA along with Stewie and Mo
KLS and /or Collier being Freshman of the Year
Winning championship #11
People hating UCONN even more and laughing about it

HGN

Reaction Score
So I know we've had the debates about the starting lineup, and I'm betting we will have a few more before November rolls around, but this time I wanted to "talk" about what I'm looking forward to next year vis-a-vis each individual player...

Stewie - After her benching with Morgan, she came back more focused, but didn't really pour it on consistently (at least from an offensive perspective) for the rest of the season. Having said that, she was ferocious on defense - almost every single game AND every single minute she was on the court. She was an absolute terror with her Inspector Gadget arms and deceptive athleticism. But for next year, I'd like to see her more consistent on offense. She totally deserved all the NPOY awards she received, but it would have shut down all debate if she'd been stronger and more consistent on offense. While her mid range game was solid, looking forward to her expanding her 3 point prowess, AND bringing the intensity every single game.

Moriah - To me she may be the MVP on the team. Not necessarily the best player (although you could argue she is), but the MVP. She was the highest rated guard ever coming out of HS and she's showing why. I have never seen a UCONN player be such a terror on defense 100% of every game she plays in. She doesn't have the intensity in her facial expressions, and smiles and seems to enjoy herself at times on the court, but no one can doubt the incredible skill and athleticism she possesses. And that's just her defense. As a 5'7" PG, her offensive decision making (passing, scoring) is phenomenal. I'm not sure how much she can improve, but for next season, I just hope she continues to work on her game and take it to an even higher level if she can get there.

Morgan - She reminded us this year why she was ranked #1 in her class before her injuries and why several of us thought that we had the top 3 players in the entire class. Next year I'd like to see her continue to work on her quickness and speed - This was really only her first fully healthy season in a while dating back to HS. Her 3 point shot was abysmal early in the season but really picked up as the season went on. I'd also like to see her fine tune her post moves as ND showed how to shut her down with double teams in the NC game when she'd "start to make her move". Can't wait to see her next season.

Nurse - If ever a kid was ready to step in and make an impact as a freshman, it was Kia Nurse. I think we all marveled at how poised she was. She had some offensive pop and ended the season averaging 10.2 PPG - impressive, but in the last third or so of the season it seemed she petered out a bit. Tired? Freshman wall? She still was a terror on defense and fearless in driving to the hoop, but next year I'd like to see even more consistency out of her offensively and also see her work on posting up some guards like KML would occasionally do. Very few 2G's are stronger than Nurse. I'm not sure how much of a sophomore leap we can expect - she was so good as a freshman, but if she does have a leap, we will all be blown away.

Chong - not going to rehash why she lost her starting job but we read comments that her lack of confidence made her game performances self fulfilling. I'm looking for her to really work on a few things - continue with her defensive work in getting down in stances and improving her lateral quickness and reaction time. Also fine tune her decision making in when to shoot vs. when to pass or attack the basket. We saw flashes of brilliance punctuated with a disappearing act. Attending a "PG college" over the summer would work wonders for her IMHO. If she can get her confidence back on track, I'm betting she can average 20 MPG and 8-10 PPG as well as 3+ APG next year. I think as fans, we are all rooting big time for her and the frustrating part is everyone knows she's capable, except perhaps, herself.

Williams - She showed us unequivocally why ASGR had her as the #2 kid in the class. Otherworldly athleticism, tenacious rebounding, and a great ability to elevate and put the ball in the basket. BUT she was a guard in college. Time to work on all her guard skills especially her mid range game, FT shooting, and ball handling/passing. The sky really is the limit for this kid. She has a tenacious work ethic and desire to be great and to be great for her team. Can't wait to see this kid grow and improve.

Ekmark - Next season will be make or break for her IMHO. For a kid known for her 3 point shooting in HS, it was largely non-existent this past season. She got a pass for coming off injuries but she needs to see a big leap in skill and ability if she wants to carve out any meaningful PT and not get lost behind the 3 fantastic incoming freshmen. I'll be honest - I'm worried for her, but she know what she needs to do. Work on fitness and quickness and improve her lateral movement on defense. Work on ball handling, passing, and shooting. It's really a tall task and even if she makes the normal sophomore leap, I'm not sure it will be enough. Rooting for her big time. I could see her becoming a Madison Cable type of player with that kind of impact, but she needs to spend the summer with a fitness trainer hitting it HARD.

Butler - There is a TON of PT available this coming year given we lost KML & Stokes. They averaged over 28 and 18 MPG respectively. If everyone else averages similar MPG next year (which they likely won't), that means there are 46 MPG to spread around. She already showed what a great teammate and how hard a worker she is. The coaches and players have raved about her. There's been a lot of debate about what to expect but here's what I'm looking forward to... Will she remind us of Stef as a sophomore, or does she have other strengths and weaknesses that will lead to other observations? I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an inside force she is - back to the basket or face up game. I'm hoping she's effective enough to give Stewie lots of room to roam instead of plugging her into the post like we did for much of last year. And I hope she's a force on defense too. She's 2" taller than Stokes, but obviously less athletic (almost everyone is!). Can't wait to see what she brings!

Samuelson
- #1 kid coming out of HS. Known as one of the best 3 point shooters around. But...I don't see her shooting as well as KML. Having said that, she's taller and leaner and a really good ball handler. I'm hoping to see her fully healthy - she often seems to have a tweak or illness somewhere. During team USA's games, she had strep and an ankle tweak. She missed the Jordan classic with another injury. She seems injury and illness prone so I'm hoping she's able to get beyond that and be able to practice 100% because that's what we need. When fully healthy and engaged, there's a reason she's the #1 kid in her class.

Collier - If Samuelson really is #1 in her class, Collier is #1A. Sort of like Stewie and Moriah. I really think Collier is one of the top 2 or 3 kids in the class. She does EVERYTHING on the court and once Geno and co. start coaching her up, I expect her to get even better. It would not surprise me to see her struggle a bit as Geno works on tweaking and improving her play, but this kid already reminds me of Maya Moore, and while she has less "hype", I think she has a chance to make almost as much an impact as Maya did.

Boykin - She is a glue player and a kid who seems to love the dirty work. Cleaning up rebounds, putbacks around the hoop, solid defense, steals, etc. I don't expect big numbers from her but I do expect to see big effort. I know she's capable of big offensive numbers, but like Stokes, it would not surprise me to see her let others do the scoring while she simply excels at everything else.

Pulido/Lawler
- don't want to leave them out but realistically, they are "walk ons" regardless of their scholarship status and will likely only ever get minutes at the end of games. Still, great kids, great teammates, and they give 100% of themselves 100% of the time. You cannot put a price tag on teammates like that.

Lastly, while I think most everyone will agree there are a lot of teams who will be better next year, I honestly think UCONN is better by at least as much, if not more, than every other team out there. What we bring back and what we add is 2nd to none.
Eric , I agree with you.....especially if KLS can get healthy and stay healthy. My gosh , it always seems like something is tweaked or hurting. A good month of doing nothing could be the answer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Eric , I agree with you.....especially if KLS can get healthy and stay healthy. My gosh , it always seems like something is tweaked or hurting. A good month of doing nothing could be the answer.

I'd also like to see Stewie take some time off and heal up. She started the year with a foot problem and ended the year with a foot problem (I don't know if it was the same problem) and who knows about the middle? We don't want a Bill Walton scenario here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of good thoughts and analysis. Just a few more miscellaneous comments:

Our lanky players--Stewie and Lou--are a bit banged up now. They could use 2 things: (1) some rest and (2) playing with Natalie Butler. I think that Natalie will give us a physical presence much as Stef did. I expect her to play a fair amount like sophomore Stefanie did, but with better rebounding and weaker passing.

Stewie has already said that she plans to work on her shooting. Her FT shooting last season, especially late in the season was stellar. Her 3-point shooting, though, was off for much of the season. I'd like to see her get that to close to 40%. Both she and Morgan shot below their historical norms from the arc. I hope they work on that to offset part of the loss of KML.

I'm not sure about Morgan needing to work on her inside game much. She admitted that she played out of her mind in the first half of the NC game, so that is an anomaly. But given her true size, style, and physical attributes, she may never be able to score against a double-team of Reimer and Turner. She can score against Reimer one-on-one. If double-teamed, though, she should pass the ball out, rather than trying a wild shot.

As noted, Gabby has the work ethic of a world class athlete. I expect her to really improve her FT shooting and develop a nice jump shot. Even if it starts at only 8-12', a little bank shot would be a huge weapon. Her learning curve is amazing.

I exaggerate only slightly when I say that the duo of Lou and Napheesa is almost like getting Elena and Maya in the same class. Both will impress. Napheesa may be like a combination of Maya and Kelly--playing harder than anyone (except for maybe MoJett) and impacting the game in so many ways. No team in the country will have a bench player who can counteract Napheesa. Few teams will have starters who can.

Two related things I'm looking forward to: how amazing can Stewie and Moriah become? Stewie has a chance to be considered as one of the best players ever. Moriah has a chance to be considered the best small player ever. She takes over games on both ends of the floor like no one else her size. I think they could be 1-2 in the NPOY voting.

Eric--minor correction of a sort: I believe that Moriah was the highest rated point guard ever per HoopGurls, not guard.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Milford - just a small quibble - Stewart as three point shooter: Fr .333, So .343, Jr .313 - We all remember games or strings of games with USA basketball or at Uconn where she seemingly couldn't miss, but that is true of all shooters getting on hot streaks. The reality is if she shoots 35% it will probably be her best yearly average ever - asking for 40% is unrealistic. She shot 56/54/59% from inside the arc in the last three years so she is a more efficient scorer inside the arc, and she also picks up her foul shots inside (159 this past year) which adds to her efficiency. Taking 16% of her shots from 3 keeps people honest and hitting 34% makes her dangerous. Improving from last year will be great, just don't expect 40%.

I like the Elena/Maya comparison - it is hyperbole, but not far off.

Reaction Score
What I look forward to most for next season is the new and improved version of Gabby Williams. Simply put, I think she will be the most dramatically improved player in the country next year...a scary thought. This year, she was incredibly raw...as expected. But her latent talents were still obvious. I also anticipate a Sophomore leap from Kia Nurse. Along with the obvious returning three, I expect those five to make up the starting lineup after the first few games, with Gabby and Butler shuttling back and forth off the bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford - just a small quibble - Stewart as three point shooter: Fr .333, So .343, Jr .313 - We all remember games or strings of games with USA basketball or at Uconn where she seemingly couldn't miss, but that is true of all shooters getting on hot streaks. The reality is if she shoots 35% it will probably be her best yearly average ever - asking for 40% is unrealistic. She shot 56/54/59% from inside the arc in the last three years so she is a more efficient scorer inside the arc, and she also picks up her foul shots inside (159 this past year) which adds to her efficiency. Taking 16% of her shots from 3 keeps people honest and hitting 34% makes her dangerous. Improving from last year will be great, just don't expect 40%.

I like the Elena/Maya comparison - it is hyperbole, but not far off.
Stewie made some threes late in the season. I think she was at about 28% at her low point. 40% may be too much to ask, but I'd like to see 35-38%. I think she's capable of it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewie made some threes late in the season. I think she was at about 28% at her low point. 40% may be too much to ask, but I'd like to see 35-38%. I think she's capable of it.
As Geno said during the FF - she does seem to come alive in tournaments. She has done that in the NCAAs and she had a few stunting USA basketball runs - I think two where she was above 60% on threes and one where she may have topped 70%. Her international reputation may actually be better than her college rep!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Eric - regarding Morgan Tuck (hope this doesn't come across wrong). She is a big girl and I WRONGLY thought she would have quickness deficiencies - especially on defense. So I made it a point to watch her and she is surprisingly quick. I was also concerned that her knee brace would hinder her speed up and down the court but it didn't. All that said, I suspect Morgan would be the first to say she intends to improve those areas plus all others. Personally I thought Morgan could have rebounded better but with Stewie cleaning the glass like she did, my rebounding opinion could be off base.
Regarding SC, we all hope you're right.
Great post!
HistoryMajor Morgan is only 6'2" ( maybe) she happens to play big but I would not consider her a "big girl. She was second on the team among starters in rebounds/game at 5.5. A healthy Morgan is a very capable perimeter defender and most likely a stretch 4/3 at the next level. I would actually like to see Morgan moved out of the Post/Starting Center/Forward/back Up center role and into SF exclusively next year. She has been in that role since her Freshmen year as Dolson's primary backup at center. This past year she dispaced Kiah- A true center for a starting position.

Reaction Score
Most looking forward to watching Mo orchestrate games. Once she got back from home in the winter, we saw her begin to shoot well. Then in the final third of the season and esp. in the post season we got to see her begin to completely control how games were played. We get to see this for a whole new season in '16.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As Geno said during the FF - she does seem to come alive in tournaments. She has done that in the NCAAs and she had a few stunting USA basketball runs - I think two where she was above 60% on threes and one where she may have topped 70%. Her international reputation may actually be better than her college rep!

We have seen Stewie become the most active defensive and offensive player in the game. She constantly moves and constantly forces adjustment from the other team. If she were less the whirling dervish I suspect her 3 point numbers would rise significantly. We'll see how the team settles in next year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Most looking forward to watching Mo orchestrate games. Once she got back from home in the winter, we saw her begin to shoot well. Then in the final third of the season and esp. in the post season we got to see her begin to completely control how games were played. We get to see this for a whole new season in '16.

I think Mo is going to get really good with the Tony Parker thing: Penetrating but keeping her dribble and then dropping a nifty one-handed bounce pass to one of the finishers. I hope she orchestrates a lot of that.

Reaction Score
I think Mo is going to get really good with the Tony Parker thing: Penetrating but keeping her dribble and then dropping a nifty one-handed bounce pass to one of the finishers. I hope she orchestrates a lot of that.

But then we have to listen to Doris Burke bring it up every five minutes of every UCONN broadcast. Ugh, I'd almost rather count how many times she uses "comport".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We have seen Stewie become the most active defensive and offensive player in the game. She constantly moves and constantly forces adjustment from the other team. If she were less the whirling dervish I suspect her 3 point numbers would rise significantly. We'll see how the team settles in next year.

A thought about a small segment of an NCAA Tourney game that illustrates my point: At around the 5:45 of the first half of the Texas game Stewie caught a pass in the left hand corner and started a move to the hoop, her defender cut her off, and she retreated drawing the defender, then moved around her an hit a long two. The next two times down the floor(naw, in the middle Mo blew a lay up) Stewie hit a 3 from the left and a three from the right. It just happened that the flow up court kept her outside early in the possession (and she was feeling it). She had not moved inside and stayed face up to the hoop so the brain-hand-eye (knees, ankles and toes) thing was working. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom