Things I love to watch Nurse do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching replay of Vandy game. Struck, again, by the following:
- Brings ball up court with very controlled always heads up dribble
- Has a really crisp two handed pass that is accurate and timely
- She has a floater that she uses well within ten feet of basket
- Constant defensive disruptive hassling movement - great foot movement.

And we're able to see her for this next four years.

Reaction Score
So, I'm not crazy to see a lot that's like a young Sue in her? I'll admit I was not a big Kia cheerleader before the season began, but the more I see her play, the more I like.

Reaction Score
Agree

Also would add her aggressiveness. She doesn't wait around if she doesn't things moving and attacks the rim.

Been reading people compare it to Sue Bird like and being a youngster who only remembers Birds senior season, I Iill take their word.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I love watching her take the ball to the basket. Great body control, never goes in with her head down, makes plays at the basket, great finisher.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love watching her take the ball to the basket. Great body control, never goes in with her head down, makes plays at the basket, great finisher.

Great observation. Also, she is quick with the decision to go-she does not do the hesitation move that can seal the lane- and has terrific body control, focusing on that rim.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kia is showing she has a complete game offensively. She can shoot the three, a 8' to12' jumper in the lane, a floater and she can drive the lane if she's not stopped. Plus she is a very good ball handler and is showing she can direct traffic when needed.

Defensively she is tenacious.

She is definitely not your typical freshman.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The best thing about Nurse is that she has "it." "It" is not easy to define. She is so calm on the court and never looks rattled or rushed. I agree that she has a Sue Bird quality about her.

Tuck is also very calm and she has a steady demeanor.

Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup make UCONN a much better team and make them the best team in the nation. Stokes and Chong appear to be better coming off the bench than as starters. Having Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup gives Geno a better rotation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia has good size, length, and athleticism. She's aggressive, tenacious, and disruptive on defense. Her offense appears to be far better than most of us thought. I like her repertoire and aggressiveness. She really does play like an upperclassmen. Kia seems like a complete player, only 5 games into her career. She'll be a rock for the next 4 years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kia has a swagger that isn't cocky; it's simply a sense of composure and fundamentally *belonging*. She's got a charisma about her that will help her in the immediate term and make her a team leader in the long term.

Additionally, the more frequently she starts seeing threes go in, the more she will make with regularity.

Reaction Score
So, I'm not crazy to see a lot that's like a young Sue in her? I'll admit I was not a big Kia cheerleader before the season began, but the more I see her play, the more I like.

She doesn't really play like Sue. Kia is built and plays like someone that's 1/3 Kelly Faris and 2/3 Caroline Doty as freshman. Kia's not the fluid outside shooter that Caroline was, but the rest of her offense game and style of play is very similar to Caroline's before the additional ACl injuries limited her athletically. Kia is even playing a very similar role to Caroline's as a freshman.

Reaction Score
She doesn't really play like Sue. Kia is built and plays like someone that's 1/3 Kelly Faris and 2/3 Caroline Doty as freshman. Kia's not the fluid outside shooter that Caroline was, but the rest of her offense game and style of play is very similar to Caroline's before the additional ACl injuries limited her athletically. Kia is even playing a very similar role to Caroline's as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Kia has a swagger that isn't cocky; it's simply a sense of composure and fundamentally *belonging*. She's got a charisma about her that will help her in the immediate term and make her a team leader in the long term.

Additionally, the more frequently she starts seeing threes go in, the more she will make with regularity.

You are so right on with these observations. I'm at the Gulf Coast Showcase for the weekend and have been totally impressed with her on and off the court. Even around the hotel she radiates confidence but without the ego. In interviews she speaks clearly, deliberately and modestly. In person, her aggressiveness and skills on the court are very apparent. We have a real gem here that we will be able to enjoy for years to come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best thing about Nurse is that she has "it." "It" is not easy to define. She is so calm on the court and never looks rattled or rushed. I agree that she has a Sue Bird quality about her.

Tuck is also very calm and she has a steady demeanor.

Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup make UCONN a much better team and make them the best team in the nation. Stokes and Chong appear to be better coming off the bench than as starters. Having Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup gives Geno a better rotation.
I would say in this case "it" is a basketball maturity beyond that of a normal freshman....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree that she doesn't play like Sue Bird. I'd say more like Diana. Her outside shot is not near what Dee's was, but her skill with the ball, head always up, and not afraid to drive into the post and take contact to finish - all are things Dee did and does really well. I haven't seen enough of her to know if she has Dee's court vision and ability to nail no look passes, but if I had to pick one player she most resembles, it would be Diana Taurasi.

Reaction Score
Kia is the perfect complement to Moriah. Moriah sometimes plays too fast, and Kia has the ability to play fast, but deliberate, and help Moriah stay in control. They work well together, and the offense is starting to function properly, as they grow together, other teams are in trouble.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
4th game into her UConn career and she is starting. Hope a certain family in Hamilton, Ontario subscribes to SNY 'cuz they would have been whoop, whoop, whooping it up last night. This is one freshman who I think can avoid the "Freshman Wall".

At one point last night on the right side of the key she started a drive to the hoop, drew KML's defender and did a nice push pass to K for a 3. Very sweet play.

Vandy Website Game Recap: http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/112914aaa.html

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Santa clearly thinks that Geno has been a good boy. Allowed him to reel Kia in despite being late entering her recruitment. Then, for good measure, he drops Natalie Butler in his stocking.

We'll attribute successful rehabs by Morgan and Gabby to some combination of Rosemary's earthly skills and Divine intervention.

Katie Lou, Napheesa and De'Janae were all in the wish list that CD sent to the North Pole.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Kia is so strong on her moves to the basket. And she does a great fake in order to clear the way.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Kia is what I call a "slow motion player," not meaning that she is slow, but things seem to be happening in slow motion for her, like Neo in the Matrix. I see the Faris comparison a little bit (tenacity with slow motion), Bird (composure with slow motion) and with Taurasi (the greatest slow motion player ever at UConn).

In terms of role played, what I see so far is fairly unique. In theory Kia is an aggressive off guard, but she already seems to be leading the offense as much as Jefferson. She will probably be a team leader in short order, even as a freshman. If that happens she will be emulating Rizzotti.

arch

Reaction Score
Watching replay of Vandy game. Struck, again, by the following:
- Brings ball up court with very controlled always heads up dribble
- Has a really crisp two handed pass that is accurate and timely
- She has a floater that she uses well within ten feet of basket
- Constant defensive disruptive hassling movement - great foot movement.

And we're able to see her for this next four years.
Penetrate and dish. It's a killer.

Reaction Score
I just like the fact that she is confident on the court, well at least it appears that way to me. She dribbles with a purpose. She shoots with a purpose. Her passes are laser sharp. She defends well. She doesn't make a whole lot of freshmen mistakes when she is on the court. She just play at a high clip.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think what reminds me of Bird is her understanding of game flow and at what speed the offense needs to run. It's not so much the style of her game but the way she managed it.

As far as style comparisons, I still think she plays like Nicole Powell.

Reaction Score

I think it's the constant head up and the pull-up jumper that puts Sue in my mind, as those were characteristic.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
As far as style comparisons, I still think she plays like Nicole Powell.
A little bit. Yea I can see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32