"They’re sick of losing. They want to win. They want to go to bowls." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"They’re sick of losing. They want to win. They want to go to bowls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There were rumblings that,uconn's strength and conditoining coach was losing his fastball as well. I know he was great here, and won national recognition, but maybe it was time for a change on that front as well.

I think a sometimes overlooked aspect of where we maybe headed is that Diaco convinced a p5, strength coach to leave and come here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The guys looked noticeably chiseled at the Spring Game. I've been to many SGs and don't remember ever thinking that and that was just a few months in the new S&C program. Whatever diet and lifting program he has the players doing is very clearly working.

As for BD's comments, it's all about accountability. If a kid doesn't buy in, we will all know because the the players who are buying in are adding muscle and trimming fat. The message is simple: he expects his team to train hard over the summer. It will be easy to identify the players who trained hard from the players who didn't.

As for the fans, when was the last time that our head football coach had everyone talking football this far in advance of our season? The more the program is talked about, the more likely it will be that the casual fan will come back and give this team and regime a chance. If S&C can help the team against BYU, then hopefully those casual fans come back for more games.

Reaction Score
Tired of Dico talking about this stuff. It's in the past. Yes we know that you need to change the culture. We gave you $1.8 million to do it. Let's kick some butt and 40K in the seats on 8/29 and that will really change the culture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fans can be won back without referencing the past. As you said, it is wins that matter.

The fact that I think he needs to stop with the blame game in no way means I do not like Coach D. I just think it is not needed, and is not something a leader does. A small quibble.

BD is walking a fine line. He's trying to give the fan base hope. He's using the idea that improved S & C will expose existing talent and ability. My guess is that everything BD says about the "then" has been coordinated through higher, higher. It's kind of "go far enough to provide a little hope without totally trashing any thing/one." Wins will, ultimately, solve the problem; but, right now, it's the improved expectation of wins that will sell season tickets. Some people might see improvements in S & C and overall attitude contributing a few more wins. Thus, in advance of wins, a more palatable sounding/looking product.

Reaction Score
My take on it is that it's more the S&C guys...and the atmosphere lead by the head coach. Let''s not forget that Weist inherited that same atmosphere and was able to move it forward at the end of the season with 3 wins.
They had a very good S&C guy there, or at least had a very top guy running the whole show. I can't throw them under the bus without throwing all of the players first. What made them think not lifting wouldn't come back to bite them? How many interior linemen can't do 20 reps with 225#? Only 2 I've ever heard of.

Reaction Score
They had a very good S&C guy there, or at least had a very top guy running the whole show. I can't throw them under the bus without throwing all of the players first. What made them think not lifting wouldn't come back to bite them? How many interior linemen can't do 20 reps with 225#? Only 2 I've ever heard of.

Don't judge someone until you walk a day in their shoes. While we are all responsible for our own actions or inaction, sometimes there are circumstances that will make the strongest man weak.

Reaction Score
Don't judge someone until you walk a day in their shoes. While we are all responsible for our own actions or inaction, sometimes there are circumstances that will make the strongest man weak.

I am sorry, I can't buy that in regards to players not being dedicated to the strength and conditioning program. This is college football, not pop warner. Whether you hate your coach or not, that should not stop you from being dedicated to the sport and all that entails.

I can buy that the team didn't perform up to standards because there was sub par coaching. But I cannot buy that some players were forced to be lazy because of the previous coaching staff.

And I completely understand you are going to come back with the fact I don't know what went on. That is fine.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what diaco says It takes more than one person to lose and it takes more than o e to win. Let s hope diaco backs up this talk. Even more so lets hope the team trains hard and practices hard.

Reaction Score
I mean, at some point Diaco just needs to move on from this narrative but there is anecdotal evidence of what he is saying. You look at guys like Xavier Hemmingway and Paul Njokeji, and they just weren't putting on the pounds you would expect of Olinemen playing major college football.

Reaction Score
I am sorry, I can't buy that in regards to players not being dedicated to the strength and conditioning program. This is college football, not pop warner. Whether you hate your coach or not, that should not stop you from being dedicated to the sport and all that entails.

I can buy that the team didn't perform up to standards because there was sub par coaching. But I cannot buy that some players were forced to be lazy because of the previous coaching staff.

And I completely understand you are going to come back with the fact I don't know what went on. That is fine.

When you are berated on a daily basis and the team is no longer a team, I would imagine it's hard to bust your ass for a cause you no longer believe in.

Have you not read the Diaco quotes where he basically said "they were broken"? Why is it Edsall's players never quit or lacked strength or energy? PP and GDL had mostly Edsall players. You can blame the players all you want. The return of the running game, post PP and GDL, and the last 3 games of the year were telling.

Since you've already said you don't know what went on, I don't need to say it again.

You might say WM was late pulling the trigger as I know he knew what was going on.

Reaction Score
sportsart said:
When you are berated on a daily basis and the team is no longer a team, I would imagine it's hard to bust your ass for a cause you no longer believe in.

Have you not read the Diaco quotes where he basically said "they were broken"? Why is it Edsall's players never quit or lacked strength or energy? PP and GDL had mostly Edsall players. You can blame the players all you want. The return of the running game, post PP and GDL, and the last 3 games of the year were telling.

Since you've already said you don't know what went on, I don't need to say it again.

You might say WM was late pulling the trigger as I know he knew what was going on.

No, I think the disagreement is on how players react. There is a thing called pride, and it is what keeps a person motivated even when things are going poorly.

You seem to be saying it should be expected after what they went through. I say there is no excuse to quit. And that is unacceptable. Things aren't going well? Well lets just pack it in. Not acceptable. And should not be acceptable.

Reaction Score
The more of this I read the less comfortable I become with BD. This type of talk reminds me too much of many A----s I met when working. At the risk of going cesspool on this it also reminds me of a lot of politicians. Just tell us what you expect, put your system in place and let the results speak for themselves.

THis I have remarked on elsewhere as well and I agree. Once is enough. Twice is fine, three times - ok, but let it go. We ALL know what happened, we saw the product on the field, we don't need to be told how badly the program was allowed to degenerate. Both coaches AND players are responsible. Coaches set the tone, players need to do their job too. It was bad, it's over.

I would prefer that Coach D not talk at all anymore about the past, and talk about his plan, and goals moving forward. To be fair, he is a first time head coach, and he's embraced taking on the spotlight, and he will make mistakes and he speaks his mind freely, which are all good things, and he gives every appearance of being totally invested in creating success.

But in speaking the way he does about the past, repeatedly, it does give the appearance of politician/salesman setting up expectations to be easily explained/excused in the future.

I'll chalk it up to a rookie head coach for now, but he does need to tone it down in the very least - and trust me - I was once a big Pasqualoni supporter, I think the guy should be flogged for what he did to UCONN, and I have no respect for him whatsoever any more.

Reaction Score

Players are not blameless in what happened in the past 3 seasons.

The time to move forward is now, and learn from the past. If the players haven't gotten that yet - then they shouldn't be here anymore.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine Diaco is trying to manage expectations. Not a stupid thing to do.

I will be honest. I was a P supporter when he originally came on board. But, there is no sugar coating this. His tenure was absolute poison to this program in every respect. This is a complete rebuild. Folks, we had a fifth year senior OG who started for the better part of three seasons put up 13 reps on the bench at senior day. 13! He was not even remotely conditioned to play at this level.

Everybody who is excited about Diaco (and I am hopeful), had better set their expectations for the start of next season and continue to support this program after BYU and Boise more than likely paste us. It is simply going to take some time.

Reaction Score

I don't know what it was like under P with regards to the players and their attitudes with regards to S&C, but I went around the facility with Sio before his junior year (right when P started). Sio talked with a lot of pride about the competition between the players with regards to S&C. The players were ranked by performance, and Sio talked about being at the top of the list when he walked in the door and how hard he worked to stay there. My guess is that while Sio and his class were still around there was some leadership from the players, and maybe the work ethic graduated with them.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it was like under P with regards to the players and their attitudes with regards to S&C, but I went around the facility with Sio before his junior year (right when P started). Sio talked with a lot of pride about the competition between the players with regards to S&C. The players were ranked by performance, and Sio talked about being at the top of the list when he walked in the door and how hard he worked to stay there. My guess is that while Sio and his class were still around there was some leadership from the players, and maybe the work ethic graduated with them.

I suspect you are correct. Edsall's teams were well conditioned and some of the athletes were off the charts in their measurables. The 2012 defense was one of the very best in the country. Just about every starter either ended up in the NFL or got a serious look. The defense was even much better than the stats indicated because the offense was constantly putting them on the field in bad spots. Of course the offense had Ryan Griffin and Nick Williams and was still incompetent. That P could only win 5 games with that team was as big an indictment of his incompetence as anything. The Buffalo game the next season simply made Ward's decision easier.

Reaction Score

Sio definitely put in the time.
sio.jpg

Reaction Score
Hey Diaco has to put a positive spin on it when talking to the media and I think he's trying to in his used car salesman way. The media needs to be a little less lazy and start asking the right questions. Diaco is gonna regurgitate the same answers if they keep asking the same questions.

I supported P when he was here and I'll support Diaco and his staff the same way. I'm not in the locker room or at the team meetings so I have no clue as to what was going on under Edsall, P and now D. But.... for whatever reason they just could not put a winning program on the field the last 3 years
and it was even starting to die on the vine when Randy jumped ship. That team was in no way ready to compete vs Oklahoma.

A new coach. A new staff, new strength and conditioning, hopefully a fresh approach and most importantly a fresh start will see things improve dramatically this year. We've heard the sales pitch now lets see the thing run. Put the W's up and the casual fan will buy but you need to put the W's up first. Coming close to beating BYU is not putting a W on the board or an extra fanny in a seat. Beat BYU, beat Boise, beat Army at Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
Sportsart is right. These players were broken by GDL and PP. The OLine was a mess. Parents were pulling their hair out trying to figure out what to do about GDL's tactics. I applaud Diaco for talking about the new culture and when asked--he never volunteers it-- he puts the onus on where it belongs. I think he's done a masterful job building enthusiasm for the future whle making it clear that new folks are driving the bus. These players already look and act a lot different than last year. I want him to keep up the promotional talk, keep building up our players and getting them to work harder than ever to be ready. Sell baby sell.

Reaction Score
We must never forget the last 3 years in order to prevent it from happening again.
Worst regime in 90 years. Hope PP and GDL are proud. I know GDL is smirking somewhere. And PP is probably looking at his pay stubs.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what question Diaco was responding to, or is everyone just assuming he decided to just repeat talking points about the state of the program he took over?

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
Does anyone know what question Diaco was responding to, or is everyone just assuming he decided to just repeat talking points about the state of the program he took over?

I don't think anyone thinks he just started saying it. Some are questioning why he doesn't look forward instead of blaming the previous regime at what seems like every article.

I think everyone here remains excited about the new regime.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone thinks he just started saying it. Some are questioning why he doesn't look forward instead of blaming the previous regime at what seems like every article.

I think everyone here remains excited about the new regime.

This is pretty much where I am. We all know PP was a disaster. We all believe BD is a better fit and will provide the direction and leadership the team needs. I am ok with his early comments about how poorly the team was previously coached. But now I am ready for him to only talk about where they will be versus where they were. It's now time to look forward. I would be surprised if BD continues to talk about the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom