Theuconnblog nails it | The Boneyard

Theuconnblog nails it

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
My response to this line of thinking is kind of like the "grandparent's curse" as follows:

"I hope that when you are 63 years old and are working at a job that you absolutely love with a passion - that the opinion of a bunch of 20-somethings to 40-somethings who know very little about the real workings of your job and just think you are too old and inflexible to make them interested enough to care for you, leads you to be set aside and told you are not wanted anymore."

I understand that there is frustration and a lot of "I knew it when we first made the hire" philosophy going on. But if there is one reason that should not be used for why HCPP would need to be relieved of his coaching responsibilities, it would be his physical age. If the only game we win for the rest of this season is against Buffalo? I'll be calling for his head like any other fan would - but not because he is 63 years old.

Reaction Score
I think the more polite and more apt way of putting it is: His projected likely career timeline does not best support our desired program objectives.

Reaction Score
This is a legit use of age in evaluating coach. You hire a Calhoun at 40 or a Geno at 30 and you have some time to evaluate how their coaching matures and having 3-4 years of learning/progress then gives you a picture of what's up and if succeed you get a coach for 20 years. Not same for 61 year old guy. You expect he hits ground running, makes good short term decisions on schemes, coaches, players. This coach is not here be build a 25 year tenure. He is here to get it right immediately and set stage for establishing a program.
Age means he has a history to review. GD hurt him at Syracuse (per these guys) and per my perception has been the weak link here. RB's coach per my reading of what he said or didn't say is not on board with the LM only or wildcat. Is not a prior college RB or RB coach, GD has not improved the OL.
Why would I expect PP to get better as a coach when he has 40 years of experience from which to develop "muscle memory" and he picks GD, can't manage clock, players not prepared. An assistant coach up to head coach would be learning, not this guy.
Young and inexperience guy you evaluate "progress"; guy with 40 years of coaching and 10 years as college head coach you evaluate "performance".
PP has made minimal progress, if any, and performance is poor. Lose to Buffalo and ??????
Age means you have a history, expecting you to perform contrary/better than your history is quite the leap of faith and if that is what PP must do to be successful at Uconn then this was a very low % hire.

Reaction Score
I think the more polite and more apt way of putting it is: His projected likely career timeline does not best support our desired program objectives.

Eh, if he's the guy, he's the guy. Age is really a non factor.

Nick Saban is the same age as P. In the world of fantasy would you think he would be a bad strategic hire because of his projected career timeline? Of course not.

Reaction Score
Eh, if he's the guy, he's the guy. Age is really a non factor.

Nick Saban is the same age as P. In the world of fantasy would you think he would be a bad strategic hire because of his projected career timeline? Of course not.

Nick Saban has already proven himself. What was his age when Bama hired him? Since then he's won, what two National Championships? Before that he won how many at LSU? His track record is virtually unassailable.

If P were 45, he likely would still be the wrong guy based on performance. The fact that he is as old as he is, just compounds it.

Reaction Score
It's more the stubbornness that bothers me rather than age. I just cant stand the fact that he was fired from Syracuse for not cutting ties with Deleone but when he took over here he was allowed to hire him as the OC. We're watching it play out right in front of our eyes and it's just annoying that we basically have to count down the appropriate amount of time before he is removed for basically the same thing Syracuse removed him for. It's basically all wasted time till the inevitable happens.

Reaction Score

I disagree, I think it supported our program objectives perfectly. Performance aside, we were looking at someone that was basically guaranteed to be here for another 5 years, maybe 8-10 if he's very successful, but at least we didn't have to worry about him leaving after a year. If we took a hot shot coordinator that's just looking to use us as a stepping stone I think it would not have supported the program's objectives. I think the thought process at the time was to bring in someone to steady the ship, build our relationship with the state, and retire as a Husky. Someone to solidify what we have. So far he's done some of that. Obviously he hasn't won enough games, but I don't consider that an age issue as much as a coaching ability issue. My biggest gripe with him is the fossil he brought in at OC. While I liked his play calling last year, Deleone doesn't seem to be making the changes he needs to make, and it almost seems like his play calling creativity has regressed. Hopefully he will get it figured out before the BE starts

Reaction Score
Folks complained about the prior coach because he was not "committed" to UConn. No one cared that we won - he supposedly didn't believe in the program he built. We then hired a coach who could not be more committed to State U., and folks are still upset. At some point, you just have to realize that many folks come here to vent because they are just freaking miserable --- nothing will stop them from complaining.

Reaction Score
Folks complained about the prior coach because he was not "committed" to UConn. No one cared that we won - he supposedly didn't believe in the program he built. We then hired a coach who could not be more committed to State U., and folks are still upset. At some point, you just have to realize that many folks come here to vent because they are just freaking miserable --- nothing will stop them from complaining.

Are you new at this sports fan thing?

Reaction Score
No, I guess I just can't get used to how a computer and keyboard turn everyone in to an instant AD or HC.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this steady the ship thing. That is small time Jeff Hathaway type thinking. We should be looking to drive the ship to victory and sink all of the other ships.

I disagree, I think it supported our program objectives perfectly. Performance aside, we were looking at someone that was basically guaranteed to be here for another 5 years, maybe 8-10 if he's very successful, but at least we didn't have to worry about him leaving after a year. If we took a hot shot coordinator that's just looking to use us as a stepping stone I think it would not have supported the program's objectives. I think the thought process at the time was to bring in someone to steady the ship, build our relationship with the state, and retire as a Husky. Someone to solidify what we have. So far he's done some of that. Obviously he hasn't won enough games, but I don't consider that an age issue as much as a coaching ability issue. My biggest gripe with him is the fossil he brought in at OC. While I liked his play calling last year, Deleone doesn't seem to be making the changes he needs to make, and it almost seems like his play calling creativity has regressed. Hopefully he will get it figured out before the BE starts

Reaction Score
Nick Saban has already proven himself. What was his age when Bama hired him? Since then he's won, what two National Championships? Before that he won how many at LSU? His track record is virtually unassailable.

If P were 45, he likely would still be the wrong guy based on performance. The fact that he is as old as he is, just compounds it.
Are you suggesting that Coach P hasn't proven himself? Seriously? One of the winningest coaches in BE, coached in the NFL, and now is the HC for Uconn. I think he's in the CT HS hall of fame as well. I think he's done ok for himself and 'proven' he can coach.

Is the team underperforming? yes. are people frustrated? yes. Does Coach P deserve some heat? absolutely.
But sitting on a couch judging someone who's been very successful and suggesting they need to prove themselves is a little over the top.

Reaction Score
Bill Snyder of Kansas State is 72. They HAD to rehire him.

Reaction Score
Bill Snyder of Kansas State is 72. They HAD to rehire him.

Bill Snyder is proven. And he put Kansas State on the map. It would be like bringing back Calhoun in two years.

Are you suggesting that Coach P hasn't proven himself? Seriously? One of the winningest coaches in BE, coached in the NFL, and now is the HC for Uconn. I think he's in the CT HS hall of fame as well. I think he's done ok for himself and 'proven' he can coach.

Is the team underperforming? yes. are people frustrated? yes. Does Coach P deserve some heat? absolutely.
But sitting on a couch judging someone who's been very successful and suggesting they need to prove themselves is a little over the top.

His glory days expired when Donovan Mcnabb graduated. His best days as head coach are quite dated.

Reaction Score

Please, can we stop citing long-ago successes to defend PP? It's like putting Willie Mays in the Mets outfield in 1973.

Even Kevin Nathan sees a 6-6 finish for this team. I hope he's wrong. But if that happens at a minimum PP HAS to bring a new OC.

I've said that empty seats more than anything else will lead to PPs downfall here. In that vein, I'm seeing chatter about a 'boycott' Saturday, but not on this board (unless I missed it). A boycott would be disrespectful to the players and unproductive (besides, we can't even organize a blue-out properly). The 'boycott' is going to be by the casual fans who will find something else to do, especially if the weather stinks.

Reaction Score
Or like hiring Bobby Valentine.

Please, can we stop citing long-ago successes to defend PP? It's like putting Willie Mays in the Mets outfield in 1973.

Even Kevin Nathan sees a 6-6 finish for this team. I hope he's wrong. But if that happens at a minimum PP HAS to bring a new OC.

I've said that empty seats more than anything else will lead to PPs downfall here. In that vein, I'm seeing chatter about a 'boycott' Saturday, but not on this board (unless I missed it). A boycott would be disrespectful to the players and unproductive (besides, we can't even organize a blue-out properly). The 'boycott' is going to be by the casual fans who will find something else to do, especially if the weather stinks.

Reaction Score
Or like hiring Bobby Valentine.

Never a good fit for Boston... Plus, Bobby V looks like a shell of himself... He looks like he's better off on Baseball Tonight from this point on in his career...

Reaction Score
I don't understand this steady the ship thing. That is small time Jeff Hathaway type thinking. We should be looking to drive the ship to victory and sink all of the other ships.

Do you think we would have done that with Mark Whipple? Before complaining about JH's choice of coach, you have to keep in mind who the realistic candidates were. I think if you look objectively at our pool of candidates P was clearly the most qualified, and yes, also the safest. People always want to crap on taking the safe route, but it beats 4 years of GRob, Kragthorpe, or what Pitt's been dealing with.

Reaction Score
Then let's go back to the next logical step. If all Jeff Hathaway had to choose from was P and Whipple, then than that is an indichtment of Hathaway's inability to attract enough quality candidates.

Reaction Score
Sounds exactly like Spaz along with the reasons Gene trotted out as to why he was hired.

That's a good point, although I think hiring Spaz would be a better analogy if we had promoted Hank Hughes (our DC at the time) to HC. Either way your point may stand that when you hire the guy that seems like the safe pick, all you're doing is safely hiring mediocrity. In the current college football environment mediocrity gets you a 2-4 win season.

I'm not writing off P yet, I think he can still prove himself, but I'm definitely starting to question how long I want him here. Whether we liked Edsall, or thought he'd hit his ceiling here, once established he never went back to back seasons without a bowl game, and if we do that now, it's definitely time to start considering a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom