There is no reason to play Gaff and Polley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There is no reason to play Gaff and Polley

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm fine giving Hawkins their minutes, but can we be honest: so far he has wilted when the lights are bright. She shoots like he hopes it goes in, amd dribbles like he hopes someone doesn't take it. He needs a lot of work on fundamentals.
He’s a freshman. Not a fifth year senior. He has the talent to play. He needs the minutes to get the confidence

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Polley is getting the same treatment Brendan Adams got last year... way too long of a leash just because he's a senior.
Sends a bad message to the younger kids

Reaction Score
Can’t agree more. Play the younger guys. It’ll be better for us in the long run.

Reaction Score
If it hasn’t happened for Gaffney by now it’s not going too. He’s the same player he was when he stepped on to campus. He offers very little offensively and defensively. His getting beat baseline by Durham down 2 to put them up 4, then taking the ball up court and wasting 20 seconds off the shot clock with 40 seconds left looking completely clueless is his game in a nutshell. He ain’t the guy and Hawkins needs to get all his minutes going forward.

^^^THIS Bingo^^^

Reaction Score
Send Polley to the gym and tell him to make 200 threes everyday of practice before he leaves.

Reaction Score
Send Polley to the gym and tell him to make 200 threes everyday of practice before he leaves.
And half of the of the team to make baskets from the foul line or Santa Clause ain’t gonna come down their chimemney.. .

Reaction Score
We know Polley can shoot we’ve seen it. But he’s in an absolute funk since the Auburn game. He should get time but if he’s throwing up el kabongs like tonight he needs less minutes no other way around it. Not a good defender and doesn’t rebound so why? And Gaff is an enigma. Talented but it just doesn’t show up in big games every. Excuse me he played well against Maryland someone will remind me. Tonight he was dreadful on both ends. I thought we had depth??

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He just plays way too many minutes for what you get. 5th year and there's virtually 0 improvement from last season
This might be crazy, but I think he has somehow possibly even regressed a little. At least last season when Bouk was out polley won us a game or two as well as hit the boards between bricks, now its just the bricks.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We know Polley can shoot we’ve seen it. But he’s in an absolute funk since the Auburn game. He should get time but if he’s throwing up el kabongs like tonight he needs less minutes no other way around it. Not a good defender and doesn’t rebound so why? And Gaff is an enigma. Talented but it just doesn’t show up in big games every. Excuse me he played well against Maryland someone will remind me. Tonight he was dreadful on both ends. I thought we had depth??
Polley can "shoot" in a practice, spot up no pressure scenario. He is the LA Fitness gym shooter, but the shots he takes in games are off the dribble or while rolling through a screen off motion, even when he gets good looks on these with little coverage he still misses wide right. He is just not at the level of skill for the way we utilize him on our team, not even close. And the problem is amplified by the fact that outside of Polley, no one else on the roster besides RJ (who needs to set up the shot) is able to shoot even half decently from outside the arc.

We have our best shooter, way in over his head at the simple task of shooting the 3s we get open for him, and the next best guy is a mile below him even. Roster is just not built right for what's expected of them, this is a roster for 1993.

Reaction Score
Akok's problem is he doesn't have a role on offense.

He's too skinny to be a post-up guy.

He doesn't have the handle to take anyone, even bigs, off the dribble.

He can shoot 3's, but you wouldn't hunt shots for him off of screens like we do for Polley (though to be honest I feel like this is part of the problem for Polley, a lot of his attempts are forced, while moving, and 3-4 feet behind the line).
Polley is terrible on d and a similar shooter (at least by percentage). I can’t understand the rotation, at this point.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Plenty of blame to go around on this one. You can't shoot that poorly and expect to win. Gonna be that way all season. We lose if everyone goes cold at the same time.

Reaction Score
Yep we h@ve dept it just stayed down in the deep.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
We all know Polley probably hits every three in practice but can’t do it consistently in games. His shooting form is too good not to make more shots. Hurley has to play Hawkins over him. Is Hurley going to be loyal to him or care more about winning games - we’ll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom