The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, they were beasts too. I'll reiterate what I've already said in another thread; my comments were addressing Pudge's post that we can't win with the personnel that we currently have. In other words, that we don't have good players. That's simply not true.

Or maybe we have some good players, but not enough, and specifically not on the offensive line?

Reaction Score
Or maybe we have some good players, but not enough, and specifically not on the offensive line?

I posted something over the summer where I listed each OL recruit over the last 5 years. It's astounding how many kids we missed on. Some never set foot on campus, some never saw the field, and some played limited ineffective minutes. You can't win when you miss on 12 of 15 OL recruits in a span of 5 years.

On the other positions, I don't see a Donald Brown, Todman, Caulley, or Brockington on the roster. I don't see a Reyes or Shamar Stephen. BWW, Gratz, and Butler aren't walking through the door. Where are the edge rushers like Cody Brown, Julius Williams, Witten, Osunde, Trevardo, and company? How about LB's like Fincher, Lutrus, Bama, Lansanah, Sio, both Lloyd's? We were told by HFD and his disciples there was an #uptick in recruiting. That was a fantasy. Our issues go deeper than the OL.

This is not a knock on the current players. It's just reality. That also does not mean that we don't have some really good players on this team now.

Reaction Score
For the first time in a while, I at least have hope for the future at several positions because I have seen some flashes. But man, how can anyone be optimistic about the O Line? I think Vechery is the only current starting lineman who looks like he might develop into a solid player. But then what?

My high school football coach used to always say "It all starts up front". You can see how our fantastic defensive line masks some of the weaknesses of our linebackers by stuffing running lanes. But you can't say that for the O Line. I really hope Coach Diaco can find one or two 5th year seniors, or a JUCO lineman. Until this problem gets solved, it is going to be a weekly struggle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What are you talking about it?

It was a thread where someone was saying Fatukasi was a beast but he had to miss the first half due to being thrown out of a game and that the person thought Myers was a big dropoff in quality. You stepped in and said they were both equally "beasts" or equally very strong or something or other. I can't remember things anymore. If you don't feel that way or didn't say that, then my apologies for the misquote.

It still doesn't change my feelings about the current roster that I think there is more than a fair share of talent. But I also think that the OL needs a lot of work too. It's not their strength or size or even speed. It's that they miss a lot of assignments. I think that they yet again are trying to get used to a new way of doing things, for like the fourth year in a row. I would like the offensive philosophy to stay in tact for more than 1 calendar year, so that these kids actually get a chance to shine for once...

Reaction Score
It was a thread where someone was saying Fatukasi was a beast but he had to miss the first half due to being thrown out of a game and that the person thought Myers was a big dropoff in quality. You stepped in and said they were both equally "beasts" or equally very strong or something or other. I can't remember things anymore. If you don't feel that way or didn't say that, then my apologies for the misquote.

It still doesn't change my feelings about the current roster that I think there is more than a fair share of talent. But I also think that the OL needs a lot of work too. It's not their strength or size or even speed. It's that they miss a lot of assignments. I think that they yet again are trying to get used to a new way of doing things, for like the fourth year in a row. I would like the offensive philosophy to stay in tact for more than 1 calendar year, so that these kids actually get a chance to shine for once...

I think we are watching different games, because the O Lineman are getting out muscled consistently. No push at all. And you sometimes miss assignments because you don't know the playbook, or you just aren't athletic enough to make the block. I wish I could be more optimistic here, but I can't.

Reaction Score
It no longer matters why we weren't good enough up front to handle Missouri's or BYU's front 4. It only matters if we're good enough to handle UCF's and then USF's. I think you'll notice a difference this week. Whether that is because we are improving or just facing lesser opponents, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom