The View From Section 241 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really like P, but it is hard for anyone, players included to continue to believe in him when he offers quotes like the following:

"“One of the things that we really have to take a very good look at is running the ball,” Pasqualoni said. ‘We have not been able to run the ball, especially in the past two weeks which is frustrating for us. We’ve gotten behind, been in a situation two weeks in a row now where we felt like we had to throw the ball to get back into the game and that puts a lot of pressure on the protection which we have to do a better job with and puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback to make every single play".

Did he honestly forget that we led Temple the entire way? That we built up a 14 point lead in the first quarter on the strength of the passing game. I agree with him that the running has been terrible, but when says something so inaccurate and comes off as clueless through the media, what could he be saying to the players in the locker room. You could only hear stories about McNabb and Freeney so many times before it loses its effectiveness.

Good catch, art. If Warde doesn't can P, he should at least make P double up on the ginko biloba.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think their tanks are empty.

They absolutely got worn down and demoralized. Hopefully the bye week lets them recharge their tanks a bit. I say that not because I think it would make enough difference to bring victories, but just so that they can take pride in what they're doing and have some pleasure in it, and learn and develop as players and as a team for next year. No one enjoys giving poor effort and failing miserably, and no one learns anything with that spirit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Navy game had nothing to do with players quitting, we lost Cody Brown and didn't have too much depth behind him, Lindsey whitten, a true freshman had to grow up in that game.

Paul Johnson's triple option was tough to defend that year, that loss had absolutely nothing to do with heart.

That was all on the coaching that game, the team was not prepared. The coaching staff was always in the position of fighting the last war, I mean successful play. Navy had a great passing game that day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You think it's rare that I'm trying to help a client who I lose respect for and won't listen to me on direction? What do you do -- you grit your teeth, you tell your spouse how unpleasant the deal is and you do the best job you can do under the circumstances because you have pride in what you do and who you are.

How many times does the actions of the client you don't respect result in your getting your ass kicked? Literally. Embarrassing comparison.

Reaction Score
That was all on the coaching that game, the team was not prepared. The coaching staff was always in the position of fighting the last war, I mean successful play. Navy had a great passing game that day.

From what I remember, the DE's and LB's were over committing when rushing the qb and were out of position when the ball was tossed to the rb. Defending the option requires a lot of discipline, which our defense did not show on that day. By the 4th qtr, the defense was exhausted. Losing Brown really hurt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From what I remember, the DE's and LB's were over committing when rushing the qb and were out of position when the ball was tossed to the rb. Defending the option requires a lot of discipline, which our defense did not show on that day. By the 4th qtr, the defense was exhausted. Losing Brown really hurt.

The first play of the second half was a downfield pass that went for an 80-yard TD. First play!

Reaction Score
How many times does the actions of the client you don't respect result in your getting your ass kicked? Literally. Embarrassing comparison.

You couldn't be more wrong. Figuratively, clients cause you to get your ass kicked in meetings, and look like an idiot, all the time. (And it's not like I need the help.)

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong. Figuratively, clients cause you to get your ass kicked in meetings, and look like an idiot, all the time. (And it's not like I need the help.)

Hmm, if we looked at clients like coaches and you as a player for your client, and then we take your statement that players win or lose, by your logic we would come to the conclusion that in the end it would be your fault and not your clients ;)

Reaction Score
Next time you lose respect for a client just tell them they need to pay you double. Coaches aren't paying the players.

No - but the University is (full ride @ decent cost). With that scholorship comes some catches - no?

Reaction Score
FCF - can you refresh our memory of the incident references?

It's on page 1 of this thread.

Found it

. My opinion is that the staff deserves most of the blame for this, not in small part because (from what I have been told by some with real information) is that a few instances occurred when a veteran player did something to show some leadership and was reprimanded by a coach who believes the players are required to only keep their mouths shut and follow orders..

FCN - can you add color/situation without giving up source? Was this a pumping up the ranks or intervening in a practice/gsame situation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Your clients actions have caused you a physical beating? Doubt it. Who cares about figurative beatings, that's why you get the big bucks. Or that's why they have big-boy pants, whichever fits better.

Reaction Score
The first play of the second half was a downfield pass that went for an 80-yard TD. First play!
Wasn't it their first play of the game? On play action?

Reaction Score
Your clients actions have caused you a physical beating? Doubt it. Who cares about figurative beatings, that's why you get the big bucks. Or that's why they have big-boy pants, whichever fits better.

If you play football, the beatings you take are literal as well as figurative. If that isn't what you want to sign up for, you should be running track or rowing crew.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't it their first play of the game? On play action?

I'm positive about the 1st play of the 2nd half. You could see that UConn was all pumped to stop the run and Johnson played off of that to perfection. I know there were others, not sure about the when on those.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you play football, the beatings you take are literal as well as figurative. If that isn't what you want to sign up for, you should be running track or rowing crew.

No . But I would think it would be tougher to endure a physical beating in service to a leader you know is not putting you in a position to succeed.

Reaction Score
Over the years, I have tended to dismiss the observation that kids didn't play hard or played with "no emotion." Unless I see kids jogging on the field or avoiding contact, I think they are trying hard. I think the kids always play hard and with emotion even when disheartened.

I have come to believe what most folks describe as "lacking emotion" is really lacking confidence. The kids are trying but if they don't move confidently, it slows them down, they second guess their own instincts. What is considered lack of emotion is kids thinking and slowing because they don't have confidence.

When the coaches spend a week telling kids this is what will work or this is what the opponent will do -and that bears no relationship to the actual events unfolding on the field- then the kids rightly don't trust the information they have been given.

I think this more likely describes the situation at Syracuse then questioning the emotion or intensity of the players.

Reaction Score

I'm thinking a track or rowing coach could give them a better shot at succeeding on the football field than these clowns. Seriously...

Most of these guys were broght in by RE, and whether you liked him or not, he not only delivered on his promises to them, he got people to exceed expectations.

This coaching staff....not so much.

If they knew what was going to happen with this group of coaches, and what their plan was, how many of them would have signed on? On defense probably many of them. On offense, not too many.

Reaction Score
I'm positive about the 1st play of the 2nd half. You could see that UConn was all pumped to stop the run and Johnson played off of that to perfection. I know there were others, not sure about the when on those.
Looked it up... Their first play on offense in the game was a 77 yard TD pass.

Their first play of the 3rd quarter was a 68 yard TD run.

Not a good way to start either half... But I remember that game, as it was my first one back from Germany... The kids played their hearts out, but just couldn't stop anything Navy threw at them... They just ran it down our throats (400+ yards on the ground).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not one of us will get through life without playing for a coach, or working for a boss, who you lose faith in generally or as to something. You grit your teeth and work through it the best you can. You don't throw in the towel and quit on your school, your team and yourself. We have a team whose arms are sore from throwing in the towel. Time to look in the mirror instead and decide whether or not you want to look back at this season when you're more mature and wonder why you didn't work harder to overcome the stuff you can't control.

Agree, but you and I have a whole lot more life's experience to draw on then these kids. I'd like to believe that I'd have taken the high road when I was there age, but who really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

I am inclined to agree with the school of thought that you typically need 3 years to evaluate a coach so that you can see his players executing his system. However, when a coach loses a team as badly as P appears to have lost them, there really isn't a way back. I hope that our AD realizes that, and given his football experience, I'm sure that he does, and is willing to pull the plug at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I've said it before. We need Carl Spackler to somehow get to midfield, plant a "Fire PP" sign in the dirt, and light himself on fire. That would get someone's attention, I would think.

He could light himself off the flaming drum sticks during the Band's halftime show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom