The View From Section 241 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looked it up... Their first play on offense in the game was a 77 yard TD pass.

Their first play of the 3rd quarter was a 68 yard TD run.

Not a good way to start either half... But I remember that game, as it was my first one back from Germany... The kids played their hearts out, but just couldn't stop anything Navy threw at them... They just ran it down our throats (400+ yards on the ground).

You sure that wasn't sorted wrong?

Reaction Score
Going back to a veteran trying to show leadership and being told to pipe down by a coach. Seniors on the team have gone through the Jasper Howard murder and the incredible string of games that followed. Then they were part of the run to the BCS which became a National college football story with the media showing Teggerts game winning kick to get us there and the debate that we did or didn't deserve to be there. Last year we had many leaders who had been 4 year starters, Kasif, Reyes, Petrus, Tywon. The team battled all year. This year if a veteran who had seen and been part of all that was trying to get the team to respond to the lack of success with more effort, attitude whatever,was told to zip it, then to me it was a shame that more veterans didn't step forward at that point and back that player up. Even if it meant getting in a verbal confrontation with that coach. Stick together and stick up for yourselves. Let that jackwagon coach know you have seen better and are nobodies boy.

Reaction Score
Going back to a veteran trying to show leadership and being told to pipe down by a coach. Seniors on the team have gone through the Jasper Howard murder and the incredible string of games that followed. Then they were part of the run to the BCS which became a National college football story with the media showing Teggerts game winning kick to get us there and the debate that we did or didn't deserve to be there. Last year we had many leaders who had been 4 year starters, Kasif, Reyes, Petrus, Tywon. The team battled all year. This year if a veteran who had seen and been part of all that was trying to get the team to respond to the lack of success with more effort, attitude whatever,was told to zip it, then to me it was a shame that more veterans didn't step forward at that point and back that player up. Even if it meant getting in a verbal confrontation with that coach. Stick together and stick up for yourselves. Let that jackwagon coach know you have seen better and are nobodies boy.

While I like and trust FCF, I'd really like to know more of this story, and what his source(s) are, before I put too much weight in it.

Reaction Score
While I like and trust FCF, I'd really like to know more of this story, and what his source(s) are, before I put too much weight in it.

Sometimes you just gotta believe. Put every pound of faith in it.

Reaction Score
Over the years, I have tended to dismiss the observation that kids didn't play hard or played with "no emotion." Unless I see kids jogging on the field or avoiding contact, I think they are trying hard. I think the kids always play hard and with emotion even when disheartened.

I have come to believe what most folks describe as "lacking emotion" is really lacking confidence. The kids are trying but if they don't move confidently, it slows them down, they second guess their own instincts. What is considered lack of emotion is kids thinking and slowing because they don't have confidence.

When the coaches spend a week telling kids this is what will work or this is what the opponent will do -and that bears no relationship to the actual events unfolding on the field- then the kids rightly don't trust the information they have been given.

I think this more likely describes the situation at Syracuse then questioning the emotion or intensity of the players.

Very fair post, especially the confidence part. If you are unsure who to block on O, or are unprepared, it causes you to be a step slower.

If a kid quits trying or gives less than 100% effort, I hope he leaves the team. There is absolutely no excuse. The people claiming they are quitting because of the coaching is embarrassing.

You give 100% because you have pride in what you do. You give 100 % because you want to do well for your teammates. To assert that kids are giving up because of their disdain of a coaching staff is a huge reach. And if someone would do that, then thy don't deserve to play for this team.

Reaction Score
Are you insinuating that, in my case, that would be a friggin lot of pounds? I resemble that remark!

I was trying to down that road without going down that road. :cool: That being said I'm thinking I got you beat or at least on equal ground.

Reaction Score
This year the UConn sideline too often looks like people who are putting in another day at the office. I hope to see that change some day.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Tying a few threads together, I have some interesting thoughts about how bad it is out there... Frank may have missed a key block because he only is allowed to turn one way. Another player may have been chastised for thinking. No creativity from an experienced group, a perceived lack of effort or lack of confidence.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the Twitter feeds of many of the players have stopped. I may have missed the Horde reporting on that, but there seems to be a lockdown in effect.

The point about bad management is appropriate. We've all probably been there. I know that when I have had enough, I punch the clock and make my resume pretty.

Not too far fetched that some kids are hunkering down, and not making waves.

Reaction Score
Tying a few threads together, I have some interesting thoughts about how bad it is out there... Frank may have missed a key block because he only is allowed to turn one way. With all due respect sir - That's a bunch of pure speculation and horse$hit - there is a point where you say F it and protect your teammate from eating his spleen. Another player may have been chastised for thinking. No creativity from an experienced group, a perceived lack of effort or lack of confidence.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the Twitter feeds of many of the players have stopped. I may have missed the Horde reporting on that, but there seems to be a lockdown in effect.

The point about bad management is appropriate. We've all probably been there. I know that when I have had enough, I punch the clock and make my resume pretty.

Not too far fetched that some kids are hunkering down, and not making waves.

Reaction Score
It is silly to talk about player motivation without facts. Some of us talk to players and some of us don't. And rightfully those that do won't say anything here and attribute it to anyone. So while the opinions here are probably valid, without understanding the relative information people have that is not public it is an unwinnable argument.

Reaction Score
I have seen a player self-motivating tactic before. Coach calls a timeout and then walks away from the team's huddle in disgust. This allows a team leader to step up and tell his team what the coach is thinking ... without the coach needing to say it. Players usually respond better to direction when called out by their peers ... if they are allowed to voice their opinion. Where have we seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom