The View From Section 241 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Traffic could have been remedied, yes it was an issue but could have been fixed. Extending 384 for 8 or 9 miles would have benefited the school in many ways, not just because of football home games. It's been debated in the state house for years, and not because of athletics. The number of trucks and buses that have to get to the campus every day is a large number. As for the town of Storrs objecting, yeah maybe from individuals who wanted to keep it as a sleepy town, but UConn IS Storrs, and if an on campus stadium were built the economics of the town of Storrs would have expanded greatly. More gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. There was even talk of a state police barracks at one time near Willington had that been the case.

til i learned mansfield rolls over to what uconn wants.

Reaction Score
You worked at the capital - yet you needed a refresher on the history of CT governors?

Medic provides relentless support to this football forum that is on point and free from idiocy and editorial. He is a tremendous asset. Why you would elevate a beef with him is bizarre.
Yeah well, I said what I said for a reason. HM's posts and links are great but that doesn't mean the guy or his linked articles can't be wrong, btw he started this beef in his usual back handed style, not me. And yes I worked in the Capital from 1992 to 2003, sat behind the bench at many men's and women's basketball games. Sat right next to big Lew several times.

Reaction Score
Traffic could have been remedied, yes it was an issue but could have been fixed. Extending 384 for 8 or 9 miles would have benefited the school in many ways, not just because of football home games. It's been debated in the state house for years, and not because of athletics. The number of trucks and buses that have to get to the campus every day is a large number. As for the town of Storrs objecting, yeah maybe from individuals who wanted to keep it as a sleepy town, but UConn IS Storrs, and if an on campus stadium were built the economics of the town of Storrs would have expanded greatly. More gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. There was even talk of a state police barracks at one time near Willington had that been the case.

Unfortunately, I think you cannot conceive the complexity of what you proffered. I would love to see Storrs become Ann Arbor or State College ... but I also was in with the original RFP team on Storrs Center. And there are tens of other anecdotal stories. I am not optimistic you'd ever get there. And - while we often whine about why we aren't Bigtime P5 - we have not moved in a timely manner in many components of this University or AD. I think our original Big East bid was luck. Somehow someway.

Reaction Score
We should all just think of Robert Kraft as the pathetic old man who went into a cheap open air shopping center with an in-line massage (SEXWORKER) shop to get off. In life, often you get what you deserve.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah well, I said what I said for a reason. HM's posts and links are great but that doesn't mean the guy or his linked articles can't be wrong, btw he started this beef in his usual back handed style, not me. And yes I worked in the Capital from 1992 to 2003, sat behind the bench at many men's and women's basketball games. Sat right next to big Lew several times.

Hmmm, don't know what worked at the capital and attended games really means....could mean a lot of things (usher? maintenance? lobbyist (doubtful)? laz parking attendant? senator from Hartford (very much possible)) ....but non of which suggest you were in the "know" on the real saga of the Bob Kraft Hartford stadium fiasco.

Point is about Medic, he's about the last guy to be fighting with on this board. When you have a beef with Medic that carries over thread to thread you ought to look in the mirror and wonder.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think you cannot conceive the complexity of what you proffered. I would love to see Storrs become Ann Arbor or State College ... but I also was in with the original RFP team on Storrs Center. And there are tens of other anecdotal stories. I am not optimistic you'd ever get there. And - while we often whine about why we aren't Bigtime P5 - we have not moved in a timely manner in many components of this University or AD. I think our original Big East bid was luck. Somehow someway.
Connecticut is hurting for growth and you have a potential huge growth engine in the area around Storrs. Someday in the future, the pols in Hartford are going to wake up and make growing the area around Storrs a priority.

Reaction Score
You know, what's really sad is that someday, long after UConn football is gone, 384 will be extended anyway to Storrs then SE to Willimantic and possibly all the way to Providence. The original plan in the 70's and 80's was to build a rt 82 hwy where 384 is now and go all the way to Providence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Double shame

Thinking the Stadium in Storrs was ever going to easily approved - traffic - Town - scale. But then when the Stadium was built in East Hartford, zero skills shown in making the entire property work. It’s mind blowing. Access. Job base near. Traffic count. Got what? 6 Football games in Autumn & Cabelas? I’d once again argue the Stadium is one hour more accessible to Fairfield Cty & better for anyone coming from NYC or Boston. That road to Storrs for Saturday’s?
UTC, who owns the site hired a consultant that specialized in retail development to develop it. So they went after big retail. And turned their backed on at least two significant commercial/industrial projects that I know of. For whatever reason the powers at P&W and UTC always wanted a big retail development there. That’s how Cabella ended up there. It was supposed to be part of a much bigger complex. They continued to pursue it despite the decline in retail and you saw fairly recently the failure of an outlet mall plan there. It is a great site. But it needs a much more imaginative development plan, always has needed that , that its owner has provided.

Reaction Score
Point is about Medic, he's about the last guy to be fighting with on this board. When you have a beef with Medic that carries over thread to thread you ought to look in the mirror and wonder.

Appreciate it but I’m good. A civil disagreement/education/discussion about facts is always welcome. Opinions are more difficult to change/manage (we can all be stubborn in our convictions/or beliefs).

C

Chief00

I think the original Big East bid was all about the relationship between Dee Rowe and Dave Gavitt.

Reaction Score
UTC, who owns the site hired a consultant that specialized in retail development to develop it. So they went after big retail. And turned their backed on at least two significant commercial/industrial projects that I know of. For whatever reason the powers at P&W and UTC always wanted a big retail development there. That’s how Cabella ended up there. It was supposed to be part of a much bigger complex. They continued to pursue it despite the decline in retail and you saw fairly recently the failure of an outlet mall plan there. It is a great site. But it needs a much more imaginative development plan, always has needed that , that its owner has provided.

The reason was they didn't want people living there. The airport used for United Aircraft testing had seen it's share of spills going back to the early 1930's, and God knows what else was dumped there. Well drilling was out if the question. It was named Rentschler Field long before any stadium. Not sure how successful the clean up ultimately was.

Reaction Score
Back in the FCS days they were decent in the late 80's and under Skip Holtz in the late 90's.
[/QUOTE
Yep, overall a decent decade there. Had probably two out of the three best Qbs we ever had since I've been watching them.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, don't know what worked at the capital and attended games really means....could mean a lot of things (usher? maintenance? lobbyist (doubtful)? laz parking attendant? senator from Hartford (very much possible)) ....but non of which suggest you were in the "know" on the real saga of the Bob Kraft Hartford stadium fiasco.

Replying to this post just to agree 100% with that statement!

Whaler on the other hand ... :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So now you're using revisionist history. But you knew this.
Haha wow, just odd. Not sure what your issue is but whatever.

Reaction Score
Page 2 discussion changed from football to stadium location. 3 pages later still debating stadium on campus vs EH....stop. Move on. It’s over. There’s nothing to discuss.
By the way, Wagner lost 24-14 to East Strousburg Saturday. What’s that say about UConn?

Reaction Score
Obviously Dee Rowe wasn’t in an organizational position to accept the bid but it was his relationship with Gavitt that gave birth to the bid. Anyone, who knew the players involved knows that.
Yeah, Toner at first had 2nd thoughts about joining the Big East but I'm sure Dee was in his ear the whole time. Lol

Reaction Score

It was laughable

They were talking Outlet Retail Development 15 years after that market was saturated. With Woodberry Commons & Madison & Berkshire/Lenox ... it was just ignorant.

It could be something. Frankly, residential development in most metropolitan cities starts it. And there are lots of new creative village type themes. It’s just incredible

Reaction Score
The reason was they didn't want people living there. The airport used for United Aircraft testing had seen it's share of spills going back to the early 1930's, and God knows what else was dumped there. Well drilling was out if the question. It was named Rentschler Field long before any stadium. Not sure how successful the clean up ultimately was.

Cleanup - in the Northeast - is simply about Cost. And Yes ... some spills eliminates residential usage forever. Given the scale of just the Stadium. Then add another $100m Development ... and your cleanup costs is spread over a nice base development. I don’t think people fear cleanup nearly as much as they used to. And I’ve been around some extraordinary sites. The airfield with a river not far is tricky; not insurmountable.

Reaction Score
I hesitate to prolong this discussion, but wasn't the Rent done during Rell?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom