The View From Section 241 -- Preseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not concerned about the pass rush as much. Diaco seems to prefer larger, hold the point of attack guys, not the lighterweight get up the field guys like the guys you mentioned, plus guys like Lindsey Whitten, Julius his name escapes me and Teddy Jennings. In Diaco schemes the pressure comes from good coverage and dropping alot of guys into coverage. I really like Diacos defense. Not many big plays against, forces teams to execute long drives. I remember Western Michigan lighting up Don Browns defense and being incredulous that we couldnt adapt, and i was a big Don Brown fan.

As many have mentioned its about the OL. I expect Peart to get beat at times and look like a freshman. Im intrigued by a power running side on the right side with Knappe and Levy. Crozier I expect to be an improvement over a guy (Vechery) that played better than we probably had reason to expect.

Reaction Score
Dare I say Edsall is the only D1 coach at UConn who was neutral or plus during the game?

BD still hasn't proven to be an average or better game manager. If someone wants to make the case he didn't have players ready for that level, I'll listen.
I think your last sentence nails it. Edsall, like Diaco, learned on the job. Edsall struggled with special teams early but eventually specials became a huge weapon for us.

Reaction Score
Look, realism is never a bad approach to take in lots of endeavors but here I think you're underestimating how much better this team is. My measuring stick (prior to real games) is how the players feel about each other and how they view the season. I've had a chance recently to speak to several and here are my observations. To a man they speak about the O line in "wait till you see how much they've improved" enthusiasm. Peart is the real deal and Crozier makes a huge difference. The D is finally speaking with smiles about the O. The routes are crisper, the throws better, the blocking more focused, etc.
And the D is going to be lights out. There are several NFL talents.
And they all are happy about Benedict trying to generate some big time atmosphere.
Like Columbus said as he stood at the bow of the Santa Maria, "Screw the horizon, We're sailing on Thursday"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We may not really "know" this team for a while.
Maine: If we crap the bed, we've got problems but if we win comfortably, how much do we know?
Navy: Away against the triple option is a tough test and we could struggle, but Navy lost a lot.
Virginia: Should be good test but they stuggled last year and have a new coach.
'Cuse: Another new coach, not an easy game but we should win at home.

This season is going to be exciting. We could as easily be 1-3 as we could be 4-0.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Part of Wacky Bob. We need to get the plays into BS much faster there is no reason we had so many delay of game penalties last year. Fluid offense is the name of the game.

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Look, realism is never a bad approach to take in lots of endeavors but here I think you're underestimating how much better this team is. My measuring stick (prior to real games) is how the players feel about each other and how they view the season. I've had a chance recently to speak to several and here are my observations. To a man they speak about the O line in "wait till you see how much they've improved" enthusiasm. Peart is the real deal and Crozier makes a huge difference. The D is finally speaking with smiles about the O. The routes are crisper, the throws better, the blocking more focused, etc.
And they all are happy about Benedict trying to generate some big time atmosphere.
Like Columbus said as he stood at the bow of the Santa Maria, "Screw the horizon, We're sailing on Thursday"

Agree. Hearing this first hand from players who were part of a top 35 FBS D in 2015, and who could end 2016 as a top 25 D, is encouraging. I'm looking for a minimum of 24 points by halftime and wouldn't be surprised to see 28 or more from a jacked up O.

Reaction Score
Nos I always thought that next year would be the year for the program under Diaco...but maybe I was a year off. Looks like he accelerated the S&C program w/ Balis and that has led to a tight bond with-in the program. @UConn07 had a interesting tweet last night during his mailbag session on twitter about how offer's are given out by Diaco. Before a offer is extended the recruit must receive the approval of every person in the program while on their visit. That says a LOT about what is going on right now!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dare I say Edsall is the only D1 coach at UConn who was neutral or plus during the game?

BD still hasn't proven to be an average or better game manager. If someone wants to make the case he didn't have players ready for that level, I'll listen.
With RE it depended on the matchup. Rich Rodriguez was going to make RE look silly regardless of what talent was on either squad and we lost three straight against Rutgers (2008-2010) when we should have won all three comfortably.

Reaction Score
Last year they were 6-7 without Crozier and Sherrifs missed some time. Still, except for a couple games that they did get blown out in, they were within one score of winning a lot more especially against USF and Missouri . Now the O-line and running backs are one year older, stronger, faster, tougher. We should see more production out of the running game which will open up the receivers more in play action. Diaco is so worried about getting burned deep on defense that unless it's 3rd & 25 or more I don't know how creative he will be with his blitzes. But he needs to be. Bottom line is the over all team improvement will be much better than it was from year 1 to year 2 and that should result in at least 7 wins. I'm thinking more like 8. Add that the Huskies have added motivation with three ACC teams on the schedule. If they want to send a statement to the ACC this is the year to do it. The bigger statement will be if they can fill the Rent which is the main reason they are not already a P-5 invitee and the only way to do that is get on a hot winning streak and don't let up on the throttle till January.

Reaction Score
The team should be markedly improved. They are physically bigger and stronger,and have a year of reps behind them. BS has matured and has improved his speed reads and decision making. The real challenge is psychological. They have a murderous schedule up through Cinci. Navy, Cinci and Houston are tall orders, and Virginia. If they stop the option and take a weakened Navy squad, things will be looking good. It's a critical win game for a push for a great season.

Reaction Score
Not concerned about the pass rush as much. Diaco seems to prefer larger, hold the point of attack guys, not the lighterweight get up the field guys like the guys you mentioned, plus guys like Lindsey Whitten, Julius his name escapes me and Teddy Jennings. In Diaco schemes the pressure comes from good coverage and dropping alot of guys into coverage. I really like Diacos defense. Not many big plays against, forces teams to execute long drives. I remember Western Michigan lighting up Don Browns defense and being incredulous that we couldnt adapt, and i was a big Don Brown fan.

As many have mentioned its about the OL. I expect Peart to get beat at times and look like a freshman. Im intrigued by a power running side on the right side with Knappe and Levy. Crozier I expect to be an improvement over a guy (Vechery) that played better than we probably had reason to expect.

You beat me to it! Diaco's D is all about keeping everything in front of them and funneling them to the middle. The speed you may not be seeing off the edge to rush the passer is used covering receivers and backs in space and not allowing a lot of big plays. Last year it was not rare to see Stewart covering a slot receiver on the field side and Carrezola with contain on the boundary side.

I'm sure we'll see a few more blitzes this year ... but last year was all about "Building a structure and condensing space"!

Reaction Score
We've seen flashes of this. I can think of several times last year where we ran a play out of a formation successfully, showed the same look only to run something completely different.

I've been a bit slow at work so I've been looking at some 2015 game footage. I'll give one example -- First quarter vs. USF last year. 9:27 left, we have RonJon to the left of Sherriffs with Newsome offset in the slot on the right. We flare Newsome out to the right in the flat and gain 9 yards. 3:57 same quarter, we have the same look except Newsome is lined up next to the QB. We fake the flare/bubble screen, the entire defense takes two steps that way, and then we dump a middle screen to Johnson who gains 22 yards.

Doing this type of thing consistently is hard when you can't run more basic stuff out of the same formations. When a third of your run plays are blown up at the line it makes it hard to use that as a basis for misdirection.

Great example ... we saw glimpses of this last year with Verducci's play calling ... a scripted, structured approach to similar formations with different variations. Progress and improvement!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
1. I have total faith in Coach. He will add his name to the pantheon: Auriemma, Calhoun, Morrone, Stevens, and Ollie. Our first football playoff game will happen under his guidance.
2. The O-line will be better, probably good.
3. I am very worried about QB if BS goes down again. If he stays healthy, we'll win every game except maybe Houston and USF. The ConFLiCT trophy stays home!

Reaction Score
How many times did we see Ark rush left last year? Was it more than none? Improved OL opens up so much more space for him.

Great 'primer', BL.

Reaction Score
How many times did we see Ark rush left last year? Was it more than none? Improved OL opens up so much more space for him.

Great 'primer', BL.

Agree. To be appreciably better than last season the OL has to be able to open up the run game. Levy and Knappe make for a big right side and with our TEs we can add more size. Let's hope that those guys can push some folks around.

BS has to stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis folks.

Not buying the cool-aid that last year was a huge improvement over the year before. Wacky Bob deliberately handed out PT the year before to maximize the next year's record rather than win games. Last year was a marginal improvement at best. The year before they should have won more if they were intent on doing that.

That the 1's played the 2's in the spring blue-white game should tell us everything we need to know about the O. The coaching staff had no confidence in the O and was intent on averting an embarrassment. The O-line is big but very ponderous and slow. No quickness or mobility.

All that said, we are back in the season ticket fold after a two year hiatus. High up right on the 50. Doubt if Maine will score and will probably only produce 5 first downs. Guessing the score will be 21-0 and we will still be wondering if the Huskies are any good after it is over.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the analysis biz. Doesn't change the way I'm going into this game. Excited as heck. Can't wait for the season to start!

Reaction Score
Oh man, I sure hope RST is wrong but it is something that concerns me too. It has been almost a decade since we've had a competent Oline. I think that to some extent we've been using a system for quicker smaller players with a bog power line. It has taken until this year to start seeing the type of player we will be looking for and Peart is really the first guy to "fit" the style Diaco wants to play. The Punch Bros. wanted it too but didn't necessarily recruit the right type of guys. That I think has been part of the issue over the years.

Reaction Score
Oh man, I sure hope RST is wrong but it is something that concerns me too. It has been almost a decade since we've had a competent Oline. I think that to some extent we've been using a system for quicker smaller players with a bog power line. It has taken until this year to start seeing the type of player we will be looking for and Peart is really the first guy to "fit" the style Diaco wants to play. The Punch Bros. wanted it too but didn't necessarily recruit the right type of guys. That I think has been part of the issue over the years.

This is probably the largest OL we've ever put on the field. If the coaches aren't playing to it being a large OL, and are still hoping that we look like Denver zone blocking, than this staff is no better than the last one.

I see no reason to believe that, however. How good these guys are as a uni I don't know, but I will assume that we're at least going to play to their strengths until I'm shown differently.

Reaction Score
I'm in a more cautious mind frame than many here. Not about the tailgate -- it's Maine, after all, and a night game to boot. Lobster rolls and N.E. Chowder just seems almost mandatory for this one. But or the season. Maybe the ongoing conference realignment minute by minute fictional discussions weigh me down, but I don't know that I'm quite sure about the season itself. I don't see any chance that we're going backward to being horrific again, but unlike many of you I"m not sure if this season is a big step forward either, and I'm afraid that if we are only treading water with our play, it may be difficult even to get back to 6-6.

I like our skill players on offense. I know QBs take the heat for all that goes wrong with offenses, but I am still of the view that Shireffs had a very strong year last year pre-injury, and that playing behind the OL he did made his numbers remarkable. I think our TB tandem is fine, I expect big things out of our TEs and we have at least one stud at WR (and I expect more from the kids who had to play last year as true frosh). On D, we have two playmakers at the corners and a Safety with NFL athleticism and size who has shown improvement each year. And we have a competent front 7, where we seem to have at least adequate replacements for the starters we lost.

So what is my hesitation? I have four question marks on this year. In order of importance:

1. The OL. In '13 and '14, our OL play was just horrific beyond imagination. Last year, it was light years better. But the lights years better only brought us up to well below average competence. We need more play from it. Is the potential there for a much better OL? Yes, it is. With Pert at LT, Levy moved to RG, Crozier at C an Hopkins and Knappe back in position with more experience, this could be the year that our OL takes a huge step forward (and getting to the middle of the AAC would be a large step forward). But that's on paper. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. And until I see us blowing Maine off the ball at the line of scrimmage, instead of just holding their own, I will remain skeptical.

2. The pass rush. We have not had any semblance of a pass rush since Sio and, more importantly, Trevardo moved on. P seemed to think speed was not important. Great. Anyway, I think Foley does well enough rushing on the interior, but in our hybrid 3-4, 4-3, is Ormsby the answer? I'm hoping he has a good year and replaces Adeyami adequately, but he's 30 pounds heavier than any DE we've ever had consistently rush a QB. As for Luke (with Stapleton sharing the position to some extent), we've seen flashers, and in Luke's case asking him to play that position as a true frosh was probably unfair. But are they going to provide a Trevardo/Osunde/name escaping me but the DE who played with the Donald and got drafted by the Cards type pass rush? I'll believe it when I see it. Until I see it, I see this area continuing to hold us back.

3. We have one QB who I have any faith in whatsoever, and he's a big guy who likes to run and take hits coming of a concussion. Can we survive him going down? Nothing we saw in the 2 and 3/4 games after he took his hit last year gives me that confidence.

4. Can whacky Bob coach normally? Look, last year was a thankful step forward, and given that I think he inherited a hot mess I can simply forgive totally every strange decision that we made last year. But can we try to return punts this year? Can we not burn players redshirts that aren't ready to help us yet? Can we not lose faith in veteran players like Bobby Puyol because they make a bad play? Can the "whacky" in his title start applying to his words and not what we see on the field? He's a hard guy not to like, and I'd love to see him settle in to his roll and have this job for a while, but am I convinced that he's the coach?

So I will be there in full voice on Thursday night, and look forward to what I hope will be a good season. But I remain concerned as to how far out of the depths we've climbed.

Ah, "whacky" Bob got us to a bowl game last year in his second year. And he beat Houston, the only coach to do so. So I'll take his wacky behavior. And UConn administrators see enough in whacky Bob to extend his contract. Maybe you should be a special advisor to Dave B and Susan H since you have so much insight.

Reaction Score
Ah, "whacky" Bob got us to a bowl game last year in his second year. And he beat Houston, the only coach to do so. So I'll take his wacky behavior. And UConn administrators see enough in whacky Bob to extend his contract. Maybe you should be a special advisor to Dave B and Susan H since you have so much insight.

Now that's a bizarre overreaction. I am not a cheerleader for HCBD, but certainly a defender. The "whacky Bob" moniker is nicely trying to give him a free pass for kicking a long field goal attempt in a game where we needed a TD to keep the game alive, or not attempting a makeable FG to tie the game in the last minute in Missouri where our D would have given us a chance to win the game in OT, or burning the redshirt of every player, trainer and equipment manager his first year just to let them play a down or two, as if he didn't plan to be here five years out anyway. Or being the only football coach in America who thinks a punt return is a trick play, to only be used once a year.

Would someone explain how we're getting all of these new posters adding so much to our board all of a sudden. It's so great to see intelligence added to our football discussions.

Reaction Score
This is probably the largest OL we've ever put on the field. If the coaches aren't playing to it being a large OL, and are still hoping that we look like Denver zone blocking, than this staff is no better than the last one.

I see no reason to believe that, however. How good these guys are as a uni I don't know, but I will assume that we're at least going to play to their strengths until I'm shown differently.

With regard to the line development and game work, are people comfortable opening night if we run the ball 15 straight times, even if it's not always successful (I am). Or will people be instantly booing if we don't air it out all over the place in game 1?

Reaction Score

Come on, you can't be that dumb and still be able to turn on a computer.

Reaction Score
Ah, "whacky" Bob got us to a bowl game last year in his second year. And he beat Houston, the only coach to do so.
Teams out of the south sometimes do not fare well at the Rent in the cold and sleet of November. UCF the year before last is another case in point. So we will see. We DID think enough of their chances to buy the tix this year at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom