The View From Section 241 — NC State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — NC State

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think the talent level was that far apart. I thought the lines were about equal, the RBs about equal, the WRs? Not enough data. Their DBs were better, but we were in a prevent defense. Their LBs may have been better, but UConn didn't spy the QB. What killed us was their QB was able to scramble due to poor tackling and the defense UConn was playing to prevent the deep pass.

One other point. UConn had a new QB with new WRs, and some new TEs. I think they need more practice time to gel to be able to tell if the passing game is better or worse than last year.

Reaction Score
One of the most frustrating games at the Rent I can remember. Game should have been won, at home. Tackling horrible, especially on their QB. Punting inadequate - poor hang time. Kickoff depth unacceptable - watching Tenn St/ND right now - Tenn St kicker pounded ball into the end zone on opening kickoff. Receivers - no separation. QB - not good enough for D1.

Reaction Score
Right there with you on Plack. Even Tui Brown. There is noticeable drop in play at LB from last year. Swenson and Bouyer-Randle were really good. If the two guys flanking Jackson don't show something they have to look at other guys.

Reaction Score
I thought we needed to protect the middle more on defense. The safties played too far off the hash marks. Especially, if the DL doesn’t make a commitment to pressure or to stay in their lanes, you need that second line of defense. Not sure why the LB’s had their backs turned covering receivers so much. Mitchell though was pretty active.

As for offense. The good news was the OL and Rosa. The concern is the OC. This is the QB you brought in to run your offense, and he was not noteworthy. The arm did not pass the eye test on many throws. Did not see chemistry with receivers. Yet, this is the kid you handpicked, went after, and put as #1. A QB in football is so important. I hope I am wrong, but this is not a good sign.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Rosa penalty is automatic. I don’t know why it is a rule, but that will get called 100 out of 100 times.
Exactly. And the first td wasn’t even vaguely similar. He was diving for the pylon. Totally different Set of facts. I saw It last year at a Wesleyan game and same thing and a few years ago I think Arkansas. Same thing. It is the rule and is not a judgement call. It is like not getting the play off. You don’t snap the ball when the play clock expires it’s an automatic flag. It was a really stupid thing to do. Maybe he did it at Bristol Central and got away with it (it is a rule in high school too) because he was a star, but you won’t in college. I have never seen it in the NFL so I presume it is a rule there too.

Reaction Score
I (SHUDDER) agree with Chief on the offense. The quarterback looked FCS to me In terms of arm strength, ability to throw and decision making/speed of the game.

Reaction Score
I (SHUDDER) agree with Chief on the offense. The quarterback looked FCS to me In terms of arm strength, ability to throw and decision making/speed of the game.
This Quarterback is experientially more IAA(FCS?) than IA(FBS?) right now. By game 5 he should be at next level(IA/FBS/P2, 4 or 5) Much like a frosh in game 1 who still knows more about HS than college, halfway through the season he is more Soph than Frosh and HS is a distant memory. We'll see if Joey F makes the transition or not somewhere around the Utah St/Rice games. Arm strength is what it is.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would like to see Rosa get more carries than the other two by a lot. Reason being is he could run through minimal contact.
He us our third string back
One of the most frustrating games at the Rent I can remember. Game should have been won, at home. Tackling horrible, especially on their QB. Punting inadequate - poor hang time. Kickoff depth unacceptable - watching Tenn St/ND right now - Tenn St kicker pounded ball into the end zone on opening kickoff. Receivers - no separation. QB - not good enough for D1.
yeah, NC State sucks. You realize the other team actually had overall better talent.

Reaction Score
I (SHUDDER) agree with Chief on the offense. The quarterback looked FCS to me In terms of arm strength, ability to throw and decision making/speed of the
He us our third string back

yeah, NC State sucks. You realize the other team actually had overall better talent.
That’s @noeynox point. He had 11 TD’s last year, scored our only 2 TD’s yesterday and he is 3rd string? What are the guys doing who are first or second string?

Reaction Score
This Quarterback is experientially more IAA(FCS?) than IA(FBS?) right now. By game 5 he should be at next level(IA/FBS/P2, 4 or 5) Much like a frosh in game 1 who still knows more about HS than college, halfway through the season he is more Soph than Frosh and HS is a distant memory. We'll see if Joey F makes the transition or not somewhere around the Utah St/Rice games. Arm strength is what it is.
I hope I am wrong, just did not i on pass the eye test on several throws that were unpressured.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s @noeynox point. He had 11 TD’s last year, scored our only 2 TD’s yesterday and he is 3rd string? What are the guys doing who are first or second string?
You miss the tongue in cheek, Chiefee. I’m
pretty sure someone named Mora said he was 3rd string. And he was also mostly tongue in cheek.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No way Rosa should be second or third string on depth chart for Ga St. Productivity matters.
Another guy who doesn’t know tongue in cheek Let’s see more of your laughing emojis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
pretty sure someone named Mora said he was 3rd string. And he was also mostly tongue in cheek.
Another guy who doesn’t know tongue in cheek Let’s see more of your laughing emojis.

There was nothing tongue in cheek about the depth chart which had him listed as second or third string. And he was the third back to get snaps.

Reaction Score
So a team’s official depth chart is tongue in cheek humor? Maybe I am indeed missing something?
As far as the QB, what I saw was that if you have a QB competition that too often means you don’t have a QB. I actually thought Turner threw a better ball.
I think Mora going to have to reassess certain things.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There was nothing tongue in cheek about the depth chart which had him listed as second or third string. And he was the third back to get snaps.
Lighten up. And figure out that Mora knows he has a load of good backs who will all see plenty of snaps. Maybe Mora doesn’t appreciate immature guys who think its cool to fo acrobatics into end zones.

And your comment about Fagnano tucking and running was the silliest comment I’ve seen. For a bunch a reasons. Watch a tape if the game and point out out all the situations where it would ‘have made sense for him to take off. Will he be ok in the long run, none of us know. He wasn’t nearly so horrible as people seem to think either. He three 2 great passes that his receivers failed to catch. One to Houston might have gone for a TD if he caught it and another 3rd down I think to maybe Geordon (sp?) hard catch no doubt, that would've kept the chsins moving.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So a team’s official depth chart is tongue in cheek humor? Maybe I am indeed missing something?
As far as the QB, what I saw was that if you have a QB competition that too often means you don’t have a QB. I actually thought Turner threw a better ball.
I think Mora going to have to reassess certain things.
I think you and Chin are too serious about football. Tongue in cheek, since you don’t understand it, means making fun of something, as in I didn’t agree with it. I also think if you think Turner threw a better ball you are being tongue in cheek. NC State must really suck for so many people to think our QB bears full responsibility. He might be a dud, but it will take a few more games to prove anything. And we still don’t know what the deal is with Roberson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't believe he is 3rd string but any carries going to Brewton should go to Rosa. Find other ways to get Brewton involved that don't include limiting Vic's touches. I lol at the talk over the summer that he didn't have breakaway speed. Kid ran away from the NC State secondary like they were standing still.

Reaction Score
Because it's a judgment call.
It is not, the rules are very clear:

Per the NCAA rulebook, players can’t do things that “provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game,” including but not limited to:

(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is not, the rules are very clear:

Per the NCAA rulebook, players can’t do things that “provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game,” including but not limited to:

(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.

Well, here's the thing. If it's not a judgment call, they would have called a penalty.

The whole point of this clowning is human bias.

Psst- Every rule is a judgment call.

And for the record he didn't dive in to the end zone. He did a flip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom