The View From Section 241 — Liberty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Liberty

Reaction Score
Portal, better assistants and a better attitude made the difference. Mora was a huge upgrade that has little to do with Edsall other than his unwillingness to adapt.
I think it has everything to do with Edsall.
He chose coaches, he chose who to recruit, he chose to use or not use portal.

I think Mora is good. I was a little confused by selecting a coach several years away from game. But he seems to be more on top of todays game. He’s surrounded himself with coaches and staff that are also on top of todays game.

I think Moras success is a clear indictment of Edsalls failures in his second stint. A more established program would not have given 5 years of that performance (lack of)….

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it has everything to do with Edsall.
He chose coaches, he chose who to recruit, he chose to use or not use portal.

I think Mora is good. I was a little confused by selecting a coach several years away from game. But he seems to be more on top of todays game. He’s surrounded himself with coaches and staff that are also on top of todays game.

I think Moras success is a clear indictment of Edsalls failures in his second stint. A more established program would not have given 5 years of that performance (lack of)….

People conveniently forget how unattractive this job was and how financially strapped the AD was post Diaco. Our choices were a complete unknown and become UMass or go with an attempt to recapture the magic at a steeply discounted price.

Uconnjim is absolutely correct that Edsall wasn't going to attract the volume of quality transfers that a Jim Mora could. it was the best of a lot of bad choices then. It didn't work, but there were enough pieces left for Mora and I trust his eye for talent more than Edsalls, but Mora is an NFL coach so that shouldn't surprise anyone.

The only surefire truth is that going independent was the right move. I doubt Mora was coming to coach a bottom third AAC program.

Reaction Score
I think Mora is good. I was a little confused by selecting a coach several years away from game.

Mora addressed this “issue” after the hire. He was away from coaching. He was not away from the game, he was an analyst and it provided a different perspective.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
From The Athletic "Let’s go ahead and start engraving some of those Coach of the Year awards for UConn’s Jim Mora. From the ashes of Randy Edsall’s 6-32 second tenure, Mora has the Huskies (6-5) going bowling after a 36-33 upset of 8-1 Liberty — the same Liberty team that won at Arkansas the week before. One of Mora’s first recruits last January was Ft. Lauderdale QB Zion Turner. His 30-yard TD pass to Kevens Clercius and ensuing two-point conversion with 5:43 left proved the difference."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A more established program would not have given 5 years of that performance (lack of)….
Not sure that's fair considering the circumstances. Edsall bought himself an extra year by not playing.

Reaction Score
Only credit I will give Edsall is, he did recruit well but for some reason could not develop any of the players due to the incompetent staff that he had and he was just not a players coach.

Reaction Score
Only credit I will give Edsall is, he did recruit well but for some reason could not develop any of the players due to the incompetent staff that he had and he was just not a players coach.
Edsall in a nutshell isn't it. Phase 1 he had the coaches to train guys up. He knew how to find lunchpail talent

Reaction Score
Back home after a flight with no internet — God forbid — so let me make one comment on a discussion I saw elsewhere, and then comment on our offense and defensive performances. I’ve seen some harsh criticism of Charlton. I didn’t like the two gimmick plays that blew up in our face either, and I’m fine thinking they were bad calls. But you can’t judge an OC by bad calls. None of us know where the play should have worked and a player didnt’ execute, or where the D happens to be keying on something against the odds, or even where you took a risk of something going wrong to set something up later. So fine, criticize the call, but recognize you have to judge an OC by the offensive game as a whole. And the interception was totally on Zion. He didn’t see the CB sitting there and threw a ball that never should have been thrown.

O.K., offense and defense. Offensive player of the game was clearly Robert Burns on his senior day. I can argue that he made the two biggest plays of the game — the opening kickoff return off the short squib, which instead of starting us in a hole turned into a big play leading to a short field TD drive that set the tone for the game, and the run in the 2d Q when we were pinned deep and he broke the long 50 yarder leading to our 3d TD. But others had strong games as well. Rosa was outstanding, and the two TDs were both outstanding efforts. Aaron Turner had a big game. ZT, other than the pick, I thought played very well within the offense and his limits. And a shout out to Kevin Clercius. I think it’s fair to say he failed to take advantage of a huge opportunity this year, between his play and the conservativeness of the passing offense, but as we sit here at 6-5 he has made the two decisive plays of the season — yesterday’s TD post pattern and the long sideline reception on the decisive drive against Fresno, which changed the whole season. And the OL, even with all the RB injuries (and Houston did not have any success yesterday beyond his early 15 yard carry, much like the UMass game), they just keep doing their job as we successfully continued running against a D that has shown itself to be very disruptive.

On D, player of the game to me was Eric Watts. We didn’t do a lot of blitzing and gave the QB a lot of time on a lot of possessions, but most of the pressure we got all day was coming from Watt’s efforts and persistence. Not taking anything away from the secondary, which gave up a lot of yards but kept all passes in front of them, Swenson (on his senior day) and MItchell being everywhere, and everyone making plays. This was nowhere near the D’s best effort, but after having been pushed around for a while (we gave up 24 points on 4 consecutive possessions), after the long end around they settled down and said no more.

I’m truly floored our rise up the computer rankings is as slow as it is. We’ve now beaten a Fresno State team headed to the Mountain West championship game and that played two PAC 12 teams tough, a Liberty win that almost beat Wake at Wake and just beat Arkansas at Arkansas, and a BC team that, while not good, just won at NC State. But whether that’s because of how badly we lost the three BCS games early on or something I don’t get, it doesn’t matter. We are a much, much improved football team, not just from last year but from the first five games of this year. Let’s show it against a non good Army team Saturday and make sure we get a chance to show it to someone else in a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Massey has us at 111 amongst FBS teams. Sagarin at 110. Our strength of schedule is pretty meh and comparable with the MAC schools. No. We are a badish team with a bad schedule. Darlings or not that's the way things are when facing the computers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Massey has us at 111 amongst FBS teams. Sagarin at 110. Our strength of schedule is pretty meh and comparable with the MAC schools. No. We are a badish team with a bad schedule. Darlings or not that's the way things are when facing the computers.
So you're saying the computers underestimate UConn worse than Liberty just did.

Reaction Score
I think the computers reflect the schedule. Using Sagarin, UConn has the 104th hardest schedule which is the weakest UConn schedule since 2002 which was 103.

There are a couple of reasons for this year's schedule rating. First, NC State and Syracuse have faded as both of their starting QBs got hurt. Next, the weaker teams on the schedule were really weak this year: FIU (181), UMass (188), and CCSU (248 out of 262 teams). And, UConn lost to Utah St. (114) and Ball St. (112). Finally, UConn did not have the offense this year to beat up on teams and score against the good teams, especially at the start of the year, so even with the recent wins, the coaches were conservative to ensure the win. All that said, by my eye, UConn is playing much better football now than the computer ranking which is why they beat Fresno St. (66), BC (106), and Liberty (78).

UConn's current Sagarin is 124. Compare it to the recent season ratings:

2022: 124
2021: 190
2019: 180
2018: 180
2017: 135
2016: 154

Even the computers say UConn is a much better team, but in my opinion, not by enough.

Reaction Score
I think the computers reflect the schedule. Using Sagarin, UConn has the 104th hardest schedule which is the weakest UConn schedule since 2002 which was 103.

There are a couple of reasons for this year's schedule rating. First, NC State and Syracuse have faded as both of their starting QBs got hurt. Next, the weaker teams on the schedule were really weak this year: FIU (181), UMass (188), and CCSU (248 out of 262 teams). And, UConn lost to Utah St. (114) and Ball St. (112). Finally, UConn did not have the offense this year to beat up on teams and score against the good teams, especially at the start of the year, so even with the recent wins, the coaches were conservative to ensure the win. All that said, by my eye, UConn is playing much better football now than the computer ranking which is why they beat Fresno St. (66), BC (106), and Liberty (78).

Even the computers say UConn is a much better team, but in my opinion, not by enough.

Nice analysis.

Reaction Score
I’m speechless. I honestly don’t know how Mora did this. His defensive game plan was brilliant.…..and I’ve been meaning to mention this for awhile….the tackling has improved so much I sometimes make sure I’m watching UCONN! And Mitchell and Swenson are playing brilliantly. We have not had a group of backers play like this since Lutrus, Sio and Wilson.

There is still a ton of work to do with the offense, but they are getting it done. I think Rosa may turn out to be quite a surprise for us, to the extent he hasn’t been already. He’s fast and plenty strong. Once he becomes more decisive and loses the head fakes he could be very special. He will end up being an all-purpose back and slot receiver before his career is done.

Congratulations to all involved with the program. Truly inspiring!
Tackling. Biggest difference by far.

Reaction Score
Always enjoy your analysis!

I recognize this team has been lucky in terms of turnover margin, but I don’t think it’s as bad as the 2015 team. If I remember correctly, the 2015 defense had a lot of gimmes from offenses, by means or interceptions and fumbles. While this years defense has also been lucky, I think they are helped by our offense being very conservative with the football. Zion turner threw a pick yesterday for the first time since I don’t know when. Long story short, we’ve been lucky, but I also we could be luckier.

Reaction Score
Nice second write up BL. Watts was a recruit that looked to be able to pass rush and he is breaking through this season. He has had some struggles containing against fast players on edge runs but he is our best DE in a while. Burns is just solid. Runs hard, makes great cuts and protects the ball. I have had my criticisms of Charlton. The end of the first half and start of the second on Saturday were rough but we are winning games with him in his position and it is not an easy one to succeed in. I like him. The 2 point conversion to Marion -his only play of the game- was killer. Clercius is out there grinding week after week and that was a helluva catch on Saturday. Rosa is writing his own story, keeping his shoulders square, his feet going and not going down on the first hit. What a season. Now we have to win on the road. Never easy.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

As someone who likes Sagarin, I think he does a better job with college basketball than college football. He has the Big 12 as the #1 league right now. Yeah.

Reaction Score
As someone who likes Sagarin, I think he does a better job with college basketball than college football. He has the Big 12 as the #1 league right now. Yeah.
I wouldn’t doubt the rankings for that. Conference rankings are based on the average of all teams in the conference, not just the top teams. Look at the bottom of the conferences — Big XII is very competitive.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t doubt the rankings for that. Conference rankings are based on the average of all teams in the conference, not just the top teams. Look at the bottom of the conferences — Big XII is very competitive.
So is the SEC. The SEC is way better top to bottom. I would argue that the B1G is better as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom