The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success

Reaction Score
This post is insane. Fans of bad football teams don't care that their universities are taking in more money--they care about winning. Frankly, I'm happy that we essentially sacrificed football for the basketball success that we're witnessing now. I've been a huge football fan my whole life, and was probably football-first for the bulk of my life, but our football program is an absolute joke. There is absolutely no world where UConn football becomes relevant, I'm sorry. Enjoy the success our athletic department is having for what it is
And what we're telling you is 10 years from now there will be no big time UConn basketball because they won't be in the same apparatus as the Big 10 and the SEC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And what we're telling you is 10 years from now there will be no big time UConn basketball because they won't be in the same apparatus as the Big 10 and the SEC.

I know some posters that I hope become Mississippi State fans long before we get there. Tomorrow would be good for me.

Reaction Score
Such is our pathetic fate that despite our success in college's #2 sport, our endgame (barring a B12 invite) is to hope to get lumped with the rejects of a perhaps soon to collapse conference that shunned us time and time again.
My hope, and I am a CT resident and SU fan and alum, is that when the ACC implodes the Big East forms a football division and a hoops only division and it rolls Kansas in. Sure it will be second banana due to football revenue but the NCAA hoops championship will mean more than whatever they call the SEC/BIG championship in hoops. Just don't schedule those teams ever for anything.

Reaction Score
My hope, and I am a CT resident and SU fan and alum, is that when the ACC implodes the Big East forms a football division and a hoops only division and it rolls Kansas in. Sure it will be second banana due to football revenue but the NCAA hoops championship will mean more than whatever they call the SEC/BIG championship in hoops. Just don't schedule those teams ever for anything.
A Big East-ACC hybrid league instantly is the best basketball league. At worst 1A/1B with Big 12.

Reaction Score
None of it matters. Not even a little bit. National Champion number 6 should it happen will not move the needle. UCF, Wake Forest, BC, Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbilt etc all have free rides and bask in the glory of nothingness because at the end of the day football / the perception of football drives the bus. Yormark's push and value of basketball falling on deaf ears is even more telling.
It must follow that if you suck at both FB and BB you have a decent chance at being safely ensconced in a P-2 or Big 12, ACC type conference. Consider BFC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WF etc. I guess we shouldn't excel at anything, lest we ruin our chances to move on to a better conference situation...

Reaction Score
The reality is that the P2 schools will be able to price the non-P2 schools out of the market for coaches, facilities, and athletes. Don't believe that our current success means that we are somehow immune to that economic reality. Perhaps the schools in the survivor of the big 12/ACC may have a shot, but everyone else will have the relevance that the Ivy League schools have now. They used to be the power schools in athletics.
Sure, for football but not all that likely considering how many good football players there are and no way it happens for basketball. All non-revenue sports are in jeopardy across the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure, for football but not all that likely considering how many good football players there are and no way it happens for basketball. All non-revenue sports are in jeopardy across the country.
I think it's a virtual certainty that it will happen in basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
this thread is ridiculous. I could care less about being in the ACC/Big12 if were winning basketball national championships like this....

CL82

Reaction Score
So all the great players from DC to Boston will want to go to BIG and SEC?
Where they can be coached by the top coaches of the sport, utilize the best facilities, and make the most NIL? One would certainly think so.

Reaction Score
So all the great players from DC to Boston will want to go to BIG and SEC?
they'll have the largest pile of cash... so, yes.

this thread is ridiculous. I could care less about being in the ACC/Big12 if were winning basketball national championships like this....
nobody is saying UConn winning isn't good.

The larger disagreement is that basketball success maintains a seat at the table. To that end, that goes against the prevailing winds. Would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
why would that stop?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
why would that stop?

I could live to be 200 years old and Rutgers will never win a championship in either basketball or football. But you would rather we were Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I think NIL is overblown right now and won't be much of a factor for basketball. How much greater can facilities be after all. You have a locker room and a couple of basketball courts. Cameron Indoor is one of the most famous college arenas and is really all you need to play basketball. Costs nothing. Guys like Stephon who will be here one year, they will make huge dollars soon enough so I'm not sure they will worry about NIL money for just one year. 4 year guys, they probably won't be thrown the bags right out of high school anyway. There will always be great young coaches coming along who are not making huge salaries. Hurely was at URI and now he is the King. Sure your Kentuckies can offer multiple bags and expensive coaches. How's that working out for them. Football is much different, but basketball, the East Coast is just different.

I honestly think NJSU has a chance. Find the right coach who can recruit throughout the Northeast and there is potential there.

Reaction Score
I could live to be 200 years old and Rutgers will never win a championship in either basketball or football. But you would rather we were Rutgers.
You don't have faith in UConn athletics, we heard you the first time.

Reaction Score
I think NIL is overblown right now and won't be much of a factor for basketball. How much greater can facilities be after all. You have a locker room and a couple of basketball courts. Cameron Indoor is one of the most famous college arenas and is really all you need to play basketball. Costs nothing. Guys like Stephon who will be here one year, they will make huge dollars soon enough so I'm not sure they will worry about NIL money for just one year. 4 year guys, they probably won't be thrown the bags right out of high school anyway. There will always be great young coaches coming along who are not making huge salaries. Hurely was at URI and now he is the King. Sure your Kentuckies can offer multiple bags and expensive coaches. How's that working out for them. Football is much different, but basketball, the East Coast is just different.

I honestly think NJSU has a chance. Find the right coach who can recruit throughout the Northeast and there is potential there.
Proud Of You Good Job GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom