The turning points... | The Boneyard

The turning points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. The players wanting to go for a first down near midfield, but being overruled by Coach P. & staff, who wanted toplay a field position game. I understand this decision, as it was in the first half & Coach P. was hoping to play for a short field as the defense was playing well.
2. Score 7-6 in the second half. UConn is driving & has a 2nd & 1 on the USF side of the 50 yd. line.
Whitmer is lined in shotgun position with McCombs on his left hip. Thes snap is high & right. Whitmer tries to hand off to Mccombs,who is now in front of him, & the ball is fumbled & recovered by USF. THIS WAS THE KILLER. Whitmer should recognise that the snap was bad & tried to get back to the line of scrimmage & start again on 3rd down. But my own second guessing of this coaching staff is that he never should have been put in that position in the first place. If the call is for a running play on 2nd & 1, Whitmer should have been under center for the easier handoff. The crowd watching the game at my house was apopleptic. Love the kids, hate the playcalling.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. The players wanting to go for a first down near midfield, but being overruled by Coach P. & staff, who wanted toplay a field position game. I understand this decision, as it was in the first half & Coach P. was hoping to play for a short field as the defense was playing well.
2. Score 7-6 in the second half. UConn is driving & has a 2nd & 1 on the USF side of the 50 yd. line.
Whitmer is lined in shotgun position with McCombs on his left hip. Thes snap is high & right. Whitmer tries to hand off to Mccombs,who is now in front of him, & the ball is fumbled & recovered by USF. THIS WAS THE KILLER. Whitmer should recognise that the snap was bad & tried to get back to the line of scrimmage & start again on 3rd down. But my own second guessing of this coaching staff is that he never should have been put in that position in the first place. If the call is for a running play on 2nd & 1, Whitmer should have been under center for the easier handoff. The crowd watching the game at my house was apopleptic. Love the kids, hate the playcalling.

Game was over when they punted. Good to see senior citizens don't learn from their mistakes.

Reaction Score
if that's not bad enuff, next 2 possesions int, int...disheartening on so many levels

Reaction Score
Punt was the right call. These guys may be hopeless in any number of ways, but the punt was the only call to make.

Reaction Score
The run on 2nd & 1 was predictable and typically disgraceful play call. The only thing you can't blame P&GDL for is the fumble. However, that was the perfect situation to take some semblance of a shot.

What is beyond baffling is the failure to run outside the tackles, more throws to the TEs and extremely selective use of bootlegs/slants/hitches/3 step drops. It's like so much mental energy is expended calling those plays that we have to wait another 9-10 before seeing something outside the mainstream. I actually feel afraid for Chandler when he takes a 7-step drop.

It's also tough to watch the plodding pace at which our offense operates when you're in a bar watching the pace most everyone else in the world is playing.

Reaction Score
Punt was the right call. These guys may be hopeless in any number of ways, but the punt was the only call to make.

At the very least, punting there was not a bad call. It just wasn't. We had plenty of chances after that to win the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At the very least, punting there was not a bad call. It just wasn't. We had plenty of chances after that to win the game.

While they did have more chances it was a terrible call. They clearly don't have success using that strategy - how many times do they need to prove it doesn't work for them?

Maybe just maybe when the game is there to be won - aggressively trying to win the game is worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom