The Transfer Portal Discussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Transfer Portal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear all the discussion about whether Lane would want to sit the bench... However, let's also consider education which is supposed to be what a University is all about. I don't see Lane gunning for the wnba so it's education and she wants a graduate degree in the speech area. UConn has a program and she could possibly get a year free which isn't cheap and just get the bball experience of a lifetime. Why not. That could be a considerable amount of school loans that she could avoid. I'd practice with the Master and primarily sit the bench for that. The burden on recent graduates with loans is huge these days.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Illa is hardly Dorka. She is a big body who bangs in the paint. She has taken exactly zero 3-pt shots all season. She reminds me of ND’s Lauren Ebo.
You think? If so, maybe we should ring up Coach Ivey ;), since Lauren Ebo's one year with the Irish is coming to an end. ND could use another banger to pair with Kylee Watson (a non-grad transfer who has another year or two).

Those California-based centers are really difficult to ply out of the Golden State and/or West. I read she's interested in speech programs, which are offered by USC of the Pac-12 and San Diego State of the Mountain West conference, two programs I just googled.

It's early yet, but the center in the transfer portal I'd be most interested in is Ms. Gakdeng, who can play defense, swat shots and attack the offensive boards with ferocity. She can get into foul trouble and her intensity wavers from time to time, but that's something coachable. She was always tough against the Irish.

Reaction Score
Not sure I see the point of yet another 6’3”-6’4” player. We already have Aaliyah (all-American), Ice & Jana and Amari. I’m pretty confident in Ice and Jana being solid contributors next season and even have some hope that Amari might finally step up. If Geno found someone like Kitley from V-Tech who is a proven top level player as well as appreciably taller at 6’6”, then I could see it but I doubt we’ll find anyone even as good as Ice or Jana otherwise!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Lane and Gakdeng are kind of in the mildly interesting category. Not sure if they could be better than Ice or Jana even with the experience edge. Lane has better overall PER numbers but against weaker competition than Gakdeng. If we wound up losing somebody, or as injury insurance, these would be pretty good options but until we find out none are available, I suspect we are most hoping for a little bigger and better player that could step in and start at C for a year. May not be there but many more will enter the portal.

Reaction Score
I don’t about Jana, but Amari has demonstrated the ability to accumulate fouls in a short period of time. If Geno decides to find a post player please let it be someone who can beat the opponent to the spot and not foul.

Reaction Score
I am too, but the nice thing about a grad transfer or 5th year C is it doesn't negatively impact our recruiting of any other bigs.
I disagree. It's not as bad as taking a Junior, but it still shows future recruits that you are willing to pull the rug out from under them in any year.

Reaction Score
You think? If so, maybe we should ring up Coach Ivey ;), since Lauren Ebo's one year with the Irish is coming to an end. ND could use another banger to pair with Kylee Watson (a non-grad transfer who has another year or two).

Those California-based centers are really difficult to ply out of the Golden State and/or West. I read she's interested in speech programs, which are offered by USC of the Pac-12 and San Diego State of the Mountain West conference, two programs I just googled.

It's early yet, but the center in the transfer portal I'd be most interested in is Ms. Gakdeng, who can play defense, swat shots and attack the offensive boards with ferocity. She can get into foul trouble and her intensity wavers from time to time, but that's something coachable. She was always tough against the Irish.
I'll have to educate myself about Ms. Gakdeng. Thanks for the thought!!!

Reaction Score
I disagree. It's not as bad as taking a Junior, but it still shows future recruits that you are willing to pull the rug out from under them in any year.
I see your point in general to a certain degree, but also think that uncertainty for recruits because of increased activity across the nation in the portal is a new reality, ever since the waiting period was removed.

In this specific hypothetical case there are three players who are most affected by a potential one year C addition. One is Amari, who certainly has disappointed thus far and has not in any way earned entitlement minutes IMO due to a sense of loyalty to current players.

The others are Ice and Jana. Their minutes in their first year would be reduced, from we have to throw them out there ready or not, to earning rotation minutes and growing into a regular backup role. Their remaining three years are unaffected and one of those is the likely starter the year after, and both likely are major contributors the rest of their career.

When you try to upgrade a more experienced player, say Amari I think the rug being pulled out from underneath is a more valid criticism, if that player has performed well, which in this case I don't think she has. But even with very talented newcomers I think having a proven talented option at their position for their first season is more prudent than insulting.

I am probably much higher on Ice and Jana than people think I am because of my preference for at least looking for a great C in the portal. Next year's team on a scale of 1-10 might get grades of 10 at 4 positions with the 5 the only question. I think Ice and Jana might be 9's or 10''s by the end of their careers here. The first year with no experience, facing a much higher level of competition, and one of them coming off surgery, maybe a 7, perhaps an 8, still very good.

Maybe Ayanna is a good reference point here. She will probably be much better in the future, but wouldn't an experienced proven big backup behind Dorka and Aaliyah have helped a great deal this year? Ayanna can probably still achieve a significant role, but this year was rushing her somewhat.

Anyway I do have confidence in the newcomers, but think not having an experienced proven player returning for the 5 is not ideal risk management for a team that can be a 10 at the other four positions. I also think it is probably a longshot, mostly because there may not be any top level true centers in the portal, but if one does emerge, I think we have a good chance to land that player because for them it could be a perfect one year fit.

Reaction Score
Both of these players missed parts of the season, so what makes you think that they are going to enter the portal?
As a side note, I was watching the BigXII Championship Game and noticed a "big" player on the bench and in TO huddles and was wondering who it was. Wasn't until the game ended that it was Soares. And I agree, Soares would be an excellent Husky, if.......
I don't think either player has given any indication they are likely to enter the portal. But I think they have more of a reason to consider it. Both thought their senior year would end and this spring, and they would be playing in the WNBA. Because their injuries were not just season ending, but also affect their availability for this WNBA season, their draft status is highly in question.

How high would you draft a player that probably can't play this year? So while they may have thought there were no decisions to make heading into this season, now it seems there are three choices. You could enter the draft, get picked lower than expected, and plan on playing in the WNBA in 2024. You could be ready to play in the fall and return to your existing team or try a new experience at another school. In both of those cases hoping to show you have recovered from your surgery and are worthy of a high pick in the next WNBA draft.

I don't think either of their teams are top contenders next year. Iowa State might be, but they lose Joens, and Kansas State just isn't that good. So a showcase year at perhaps next year's title favorite, that is loaded at the other four positions is a unique opportunity to impress scouts, and chase the ring at the same time.

They may not be interested, but since their injuries probably prevent them from playing this year in the WNBA, but they could be ready for the next collegiate season, they face a more unique situation IMO.

Reaction Score
Geno isn't foolish and going into the portal this year would be foolish. He is going to have 3-4 girls good enough to be recruited by UCONN ready to shine next year. They will have depth at every position and very strong guard play. Going to the portal isn't a move that UCONN needs to do and I personally think it would hurt the recruiting in the long run.

I have said Geno isn't an in season developer of talent but he is one of the best off season talent developer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think either player has given any indication they are likely to enter the portal. But I think they have more of a reason to consider it. Both thought their senior year would end and this spring, and they would be playing in the WNBA. Because their injuries were not just season ending, but also affect their availability for this WNBA season, their draft status is highly in question.

How high would you draft a player that probably can't play this year? So while they may have thought there were no decisions to make heading into this season, now it seems there are three choices. You could enter the draft, get picked lower than expected, and plan on playing in the WNBA in 2024. You could be ready to play in the fall and return to your existing team or try a new experience at another school. In both of those cases hoping to show you have recovered from your surgery and are worthy of a high pick in the next WNBA draft.

I don't think either of their teams are top contenders next year. Iowa State might be, but they lose Joens, and Kansas State just isn't that good. So a showcase year at perhaps next year's title favorite, that is loaded at the other four positions is a unique opportunity to impress scouts, and chase the ring at the same time.

They may not be interested, but since their injuries probably prevent them from playing this year in the WNBA, but they could be ready for the next collegiate season, they face a more unique situation IMO.
Have you followed Ayoka Lee and Kansas State the last two years? The Wildcats played in the Big 12 Championship game against Texas and made the NCAA Tournament, beating Washington State in the first-round game before bowing to NC State. The same NC State that barely beat Notre Dame and took UConn to overtime.

Ayoka Lee led the team with a 22.00 ppg average and snared 10.3 rpg. She redshirted her freshman year and could've gone pro following last season but chose to come back with her coach and teammates. BTW, the next three scorers on that team were freshmen and the thought was they could all collectively make a jump. Lee injured (her knee, I believe) and the team struggled without a player they were built around, going 17-16. However, all of those now sophomores (Serena Sundell and the Glenn twins) upped their games and were joined by Oklahoma transfer Gabby Gregory. They're playing in the WNIT at home against Wichita State. If Lee comes back to play one more year, I don't think they'll be "not good," but might be in the upper echelon of the conference.

Lastly, Lee has always expressed how much she enjoys here experience in Manhattan (Kansas) that is, which is one reason she came back. That's refreshing. I hope her recuperation is going well and hope she makes a choice that is best for she and her family. (If she stays in college, I'm hoping she plays out her next KSU chapter.)

Reaction Score
Not necessarily if a junior would have developed like one wanted there would be no need to go to the portal however, without her skill level to where it needs to be there is a need. To many inexperienced bigs for a team That has national championship, aspirations

Reaction Score
Have you followed Ayoka Lee and Kansas State the last two years? The Wildcats played in the Big 12 Championship game against Texas and made the NCAA Tournament, beating Washington State in the first-round game before bowing to NC State. The same NC State that barely beat Notre Dame and took UConn to overtime.

Ayoka Lee led the team with a 22.00 ppg average and snared 10.3 rpg. She redshirted her freshman year and could've gone pro following last season but chose to come back with her coach and teammates. BTW, the next three scorers on that team were freshmen and the thought was they could all collectively make a jump. Lee injured (her knee, I believe) and the team struggled without a player they were built around, going 17-16. However, all of those now sophomores (Serena Sundell and the Glenn twins) upped their games and were joined by Oklahoma transfer Gabby Gregory. They're playing in the WNIT at home against Wichita State. If Lee comes back to play one more year, I don't think they'll be "not good," but might be in the upper echelon of the conference.

Lastly, Lee has always expressed how much she enjoys here experience in Manhattan (Kansas) that is, which is one reason she came back. That's refreshing. I hope her recuperation is going well and hope she makes a choice that is best for she and her family. (If she stays in college, I'm hoping she plays out her next KSU chapter.)
Agreed. And speculating on the availability of either player going into the portal doesn't make sense at this time. Maybe it's nice to ponder but if it's not announced officially, it's a moot point in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And speculating on the availability of either player going into the portal doesn't make sense at this time. Maybe it's nice to ponder but if it's not announced officially, it's a moot point in my opinion.

Agreed. That wasn't my intent when starting this thread

Reaction Score
If this is true about Cardoso, then Geno made a massive mistake … !!
How? If the rest of the team is not on board with that player then it could easily cause more harm than good?

Reaction Score
Not sure I see the point of yet another 6’3”-6’4” player. We already have Aaliyah (all-American), Ice & Jana and Amari. I’m pretty confident in Ice and Jana being solid contributors next season and even have some hope that Amari might finally step up. If Geno found someone like Kitley from V-Tech who is a proven top level player as well as appreciably taller at 6’6”, then I could see it but I doubt we’ll find anyone even as good as Ice or Jana otherwise!
Really we don't have a proven center. Maybe Ice but we have not seen her play. The other ones are not true centers. Jenna looks like a good forward like Aaliyah. So yes we can use a true center for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom