The Streak, What Streak? | The Boneyard

The Streak, What Streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Leading scorer Katie Lou Samuelson said the players haven't discussed the streak and are instead concentrating on the next opponent. But it's hard to avoid the history, given that the names of the players involved in the last streak hang in the practice gym."

Do you believe that? I have this vision of a scene repeating itself in several apartments. Two players sitting on the floor under a blanket, whispering: It would be neat."

UConn Women Take Aim At Record-Tying 90th Win In Row

Geno: "But to be in this situation and to have gone through it already to think that it can happen again … To think that it could happen once is ridiculous. To think that we're in a position again, makes no sense."

Reaction Score
I think your scenario is a realistic one. How can you not at least think a little about the significance of the streak?

It will be interesting to see if they get any news coverage of the streak-tying win, assuming it happens. And whether they do or not, it will be interesting to see how many media outlets cover the playing of the potential #91. It should be a pretty big deal. We'll see if anyone cares, and yes, I'm cynical about such things.

Reaction Score
And therein lies the difference between fans and elite athletes. As soon as an elite level athlete (anything really) starts focusing on anything other than the next play, the streak will come to an end.

Reaction Score
"Leading scorer Katie Lou Samuelson said the players haven't discussed the streak and are instead concentrating on the next opponent. But it's hard to avoid the history, given that the names of the players involved in the last streak hang in the practice gym."

Do you believe that? I have this vision of a scene repeating itself in several apartments. Two players sitting on the floor under a blanket, whispering: It would be neat."

UConn Women Take Aim At Record-Tying 90th Win In Row

Geno: "But to be in this situation and to have gone through it already to think that it can happen again … To think that it could happen once is ridiculous. To think that we're in a position again, makes no sense."

It is beyond reality to think 12 young women--on the verge of hitting a mile stone in College BB or WBB--that mile stone is 90 but their own milestone is 91--if they don't talk about it, then I know why they keep winning--they are robots!! Tell a human to not think about it--that's all that is on their mind. I'm sure it is not the most important thing on their minds--winning tomorrow nights game is what's t0day really important--no win-no new record-- But the denial make good press.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And therein lies the difference between fans and elite athletes. As soon as an elite level athlete (anything really) starts focusing on anything other than the next play, the streak will come to an end.

Uhh....not if our elite level athletes are playing SMU it won't. Or CFU. Or....... SFU mebbe, but it ain't gonna happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suspect there will be some media attention for #90. Probably more attention for #91. Then moderate attention for #92-#99. I think there will be tremendous attention for #100 for both the significance of hitting triple digits as well as the opponent standing in the way of #100.

Assuming that the Huskies don't stumble between now & Feb 13, Gampel will be rocking when the Huskies & Gamecocks play, and the SID will be issuing lots of press passes for that evening.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If the streak is still chugging along Feb. 13 that would be incentive for SC, assuming they need any more.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What streak? THAT streak. The level of consistency across such a diverse constellation of stars, has been such a gift to our great state. I saw 89 in a row in person against FSU in December 2010. It's amazing I've already witnessed the same thing in person again six years later. Now we have to beat South Florida, a tough team that graduated last season's best player. Not that we know anything about that sort of departure from UConn.

I'll be at XL tomorrow in Section 113, Row B. It will make my evening or break my heart. But I believe. One game at a time. Tomorrow is the next game. Let's see some history!

Reaction Score
Great to win but most important is keeping eyes on the real prize:

"I don't want to minimize it, because it's an incredible thing," Auriemma said. "To be in a position to do it once, much less twice. So I don't want to minimize, I don't want to discount it. But at the same time, I don't want it to distract us from what we're trying to do long-term, which is get us ourselves ready for March. And that's way more important than whatever number it is or whatever the streak is at."

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
What streak? THAT streak. The level of consistency across such a diverse constellation of stars, has been such a gift to our great state. I saw 89 in a row in person against FSU in December 2010. It's amazing I've already witnessed the same thing in person again six years later. Now we have to beat South Florida, a tough team that graduated last season's best player. Not that we know anything about that sort of departure from UConn.

I'll be at XL tomorrow in Section 113, Row B. It will make my evening or break my heart. But I believe. One game at a time. Tomorrow is the next game. Let's see some history!

Keep the streak alive tomorrow. I will be in Dallas on Saturday for #91. Here is an oddity. I have only seen UConn play(live and in person) in the State of Texas(2010 FF in SA) and now this Saturday. Hope I can see my favorite player after the game on Saturday. It has been close to 2 years.

Reaction Score
Keep the streak alive tomorrow. I will be in Dallas on Saturday for #91. Here is an oddity. I have only seen UConn play(live and in person) in the State of Texas(2010 FF in SA) and now this Saturday. Hope I can see my favorite player after the game on Saturday. It has been close to 2 years.
Who is your favorite player and how would you get to see them after the game?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Who is your favorite player and how would you get to see them after the game?
My Avatar and I have known her family since she was about 11 or 12. Watched all 3 Sisters since HS and AAU days. One of the nicest families out there.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if they get any news coverage of the streak-tying win, assuming it happens.

I suspect there will be some media attention for #90.

Supposedly, even tho SNY does not have coverage of the game they are going to be doing post-coverage just after the game ends. I'm assuming they have some clips up their sleeve for the record-tying win. I'll be tuning in via ESPN Watch app (no SNY out here in Southern California :()

Reaction Score
Supposedly, even tho SNY does not have coverage of the game they are going to be doing post-coverage just after the game ends. I'm assuming they have some clips up their sleeve for the record-tying win. I'll be tuning in via ESPN Watch app (no SNY out here in Southern California :()
WatchESPN typically only shows the game. No SNY pre- or post-game programming

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kind of like UCONN Men and UCONN Women winning NC's in the same year......twice.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Or half time. They go to a sports desk or pre done video story.
But as long as I get the game is what matters.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

Good point. Hadn't even thought about that. Hopefully we have a kind soul here on the BY that might post it for us.

Luckily, I get CBS sports so I can at least catch the game

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It seems Geno, other coaches, and players are talking more about the streak then the last time. They all seem to say they're only concerned about getting better before the tournament, but I wonder if the Streak will be more important tonight against USF. The opportunity to tie the longest winning streak in Basketball, has to generate some nerves that normally wouldn't be there.

Reaction Score
The Southern Methodist game is really the only one that matters. After that, it's all about the NC. Extending the streak by a few games, but losing in the Final Four, or in the NC game, would be a major disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom