The state of WNBA | The Boneyard

The state of WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In a phrase "not good"! At this point in the season only 4 of 13 teams are above .500. Two of the teams that were expected to be title contenders (Ind. and Phoenix) are closer to the Mendoza line than .500. More significantly both of these teams have played very "uninspired" games lately. I was all in on the marketing for "Watch me Work!" campaign, but if that was an invitation from the WNBA players at this time I might decline.
You?

Reaction Score
Maybe the teams are more competitive than previous years. Please stop making something out of nothing. If every team had a record above .500 then we would be calling the league garbage. Comments like this are the reason why people are dogging the WNBA now. Please leave well enough alone and let the season play out!

Reaction Score
The records don't concern me as much as the quality of play. Seeing way more "unforced errors" than I think there should be in a pro league. And I am not a fan of physical play. I would like to see the games called more like the college games in terms of the amount of contact allowed. I think (after the initial foulfest while everyone adjusts) it would create a more open, flowing, and, to me, more appealing game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With two teams going undefeated through the first month, it is almost impossible for many other teams to crack .500 - simple math. The real question is: Are the Linx and Sparks bad for the WNBA! :cool::eek::)

Phoenix and Indiana both are really struggling, and Chicago hasn't been as good as expected, though Atlanta is certainly out-performing expectations. The rest ... not that unexpected - young teams struggling. Seattle and SA really need to find centers.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The records don't concern me as much as the quality of play. Seeing way more "unforced errors" than I think there should be in a pro league. And I am not a fan of physical play. I would like to see the games called more like the college games in terms of the amount of contact allowed. I think (after the initial foulfest while everyone adjusts) it would create a more open, flowing, and, to me, more appealing game.

I feel sorry for the players, because of the poor officiating. There are many phantom calls, fouls are called because, well, it looked like a foul. But on replay, no one was touched. The women are understandably confused.

Reaction Score
i think that Phoenix and Indiana will improve...i think that Dallas is a team on the rise...Chicago is the team i thought would be much better...Atlanta has played well...love the league but i wish the pro game were officiated more like women's college game...think it would be a much more fluid game...just my opinion but think they let to much go in the paint and to contact jamming cutters to the basket...just a thought

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've been impressed with the quality of play and shooting this year. That said, I think San Antonio lacks scoring punch, Connecticut lacks shot selection, and Phoenix lacks energy. Minnesota, Los Angeles, and New York (at times) have looked very good. Even Seattle has had stretches when they look great. Most of the UConn alums have looked very, very good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think San Antonio will benefit from Dan Hughes retirement at the end of the season. Don't take me wrong, I think he is a heck of a coach, but only to a point. Whether it was in his GM role, or what I don't know, but he has never really gotten over the hump. Excellent color commentator for game detail information, though not exciting.

Reaction Score
Maybe the teams are more competitive than previous years. Please stop making something out of nothing. If every team had a record above .500 then we would be calling the league garbage. Comments like this are the reason why people are dogging the WNBA now. Please leave well enough alone and let the season play out!
Wow, wish I had a dislike button for this. Ignoring (no I'm not!) the impossibility of your math, shutting down discussion on an honest question that has far-ranging implications for WCBB is simply wrong. Clearly, the NBA itself has concerns, too, and it's a legitimate worry for us all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In a phrase "not good"! At this point in the season only 4 of 13 teams are above .500. Two of the teams that were expected to be title contenders (Ind. and Phoenix) are closer to the Mendoza line than .500. More significantly both of these teams have played very "uninspired" games lately. I was all in on the marketing for "Watch me Work!" campaign, but if that was an invitation from the WNBA players at this time I might decline.
You?

Personally, I really like and enjoy the WNBA. The question of the day: Is the WNBA in danger of folding in the near future? 20 years is by far the longest any women's basketball league has remained operational in the United States. I want the WNBA to remain solvent and operational for another 20 years and beyond. Put on your turbans and capes for a moment. What fortunes do YOU see for the league in the near future?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing already discussed about the state of the WNBA, I have two comments, one positive and one negative:

I took my two kids and ex-wife to the Sun-Storm game on 6/10, and the prices were ridiculously high. I don't get it at all. Theoretically, if the percentage decrease in revenues is neither higher nor lower than the percentage increase in price, the market is considered price inelastic. When a market is price inelastic, basic microeconomics dictate you raise prices. Is all of this what is happening?

On the positive front, I absolutely loved the commercial with LeBron and (I think) Kyrie endorsing the WNBA. I can't find it on YouTube right now, but it's fantastic.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Fun fact - WNBA teams collectively have a .500 winning percentage. :cool:
I almost commented in response to the poster above that said if all the WNBA teams were over .500 we would call the league "garbage'.

My thought was that if all were over .500 we would call it either "a miracle" or "bad record keeping".

Reaction Score
What fortunes do YOU see for the league in the near future?
So long as the NBA makes money hand-over-fist, I think they will continue to keep afloat the WNBA--it's good publicity to offset the bad acting of some of the NBA players.

Reaction Score
Personally I like the WNBA a lot, but the officiating is tearing down the leagues credibility!
The refs in the WNBA are worse than WCBB refs which is really poor because the college refs stink big-time.
Calls are anticipated before hand then even if there is NO contact the whistle is blown!
The game has grown/improved beyond the refs capabilities.
I agree with posters above that want contact called not ignored!
You can tell how poor the refs are by watching the players/coaches faces the instant the call is made that both sides know it was bogus, the look on their faces is incredulous!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Personally I like the WNBA a lot, but the officiating is tearing down the leagues credibility!
The refs in the WNBA are worse than WCBB refs which is really poor because the college refs stink big-time.
Calls are anticipated before hand then even if there is NO contact the whistle is blown!
The game has grown/improved beyond the refs capabilities.
I agree with posters above that want contact called not ignored!
You can tell how poor the refs are by watching the players/coaches faces the instant the call is made that both sides know it was bogus, the look on their faces is incredulous!
I am amazed at two things - the number of really late whistles (like they are waiting to see if the shot is good before making a call), and the blatant inconsistency of calls where phantoms are whistled and muggings are let go.

Reaction Score
Basketball is basketball no matter if you're a man or women. Its games that is going to be fun and exciting and there will be games that is Sloppy and makes you want to turn tge channel but it woman uts not supposed to be compared to the NBA. As basketball fans and parents we should embrace what they are trying to do but they also needs are help. Saying how the league is terrible is an understatement those ladies are just as Professional as the men they go to practice and work hard to win games for their team. I bet some of yall go to your son or daughter games and tell them they did great, or that was a good game but knowing the game wasnt really good. People stop bashing the WNBA it lasted 20 years lets all pray for another 20 if they have girls like Stewie Mojeff T Mitchell etc

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If every team had a record above .500 then we would be calling the league garbage. Comments like this are the reason why people are dogging the WNBA now.
People stop bashing the WNBA it lasted 20 years lets all pray for another 20 if they have girls like Stewie Mojeff T Mitchell etc

Critiques of the WNBA product like : better refs, better shooting, or consistent effort from players is not the same as bashing or dogging the WNBA.
I want a better product because I am an insatiable fan!

Reaction Score
So long as the NBA makes money hand-over-fist, I think they will continue to keep afloat the WNBA--it's good publicity to offset the bad acting of some of the NBA players.

Give me a break. Good publicity to offset bad acting? That's why the NBA underwrites the WNBA? Surely, if the NBA wants evn better publicity, why not underwrite more teams, provide more opportunities, demand roster increases across the board, salary increases across the board, underwrite a developmental league, sponsor WBB officiating clinics? Maybe the NFL should chip in? Major League Baseball? Spread the goodwill and good publicity around for all of its "bad actors".
Underwrite the WNBA because it is good publicity?

Reaction Score
Critiques of the WNBA product like : better refs, better shooting, or consistent effort from players is not the same as bashing or dogging the WNBA.
I want a better product because I am an insatiable fan!
They do need better Refs ill agree with you on that but even NBA players aren't consistent unless your a superstar LeBron KD Steph etc and in the WNBA you have Maya DT Candice Tina.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They do need better Refs ill agree with you on that but even NBA players aren't consistent unless your a superstar LeBron KD Steph etc and in the WNBA you have Maya DT Candice Tina.
Consistent effort of WNBA players is what I'm talking about . I understand why many on this board might not be able to relate because this is NEVER a problem within the UCONN program and hardly ever a problem with former Huskies. In the past couple of weeks I have been very disappointed by the effort of 3 of my favorite WNBA players Catch, DT, Brittney. I know what effort form these three looks like and the effort is not there.
My league pass money is a sunk cost. I do not have a WNBA team in Philly so for me that means going to DC or NY. MoJeff comes to the Verizon center on Wednesday I'll be there. Catch comes on Sept 11th- I'll????

Reaction Score
I told this several months ago but bears repeating. Years ago at the HCC UCONN was playing Baylor and at 1/2 time I turned a corner and ran right into Patty Coyle, then the HC of the New York Liberty scouting players! I asked her how coaches & players don't go insane on the refs calls, etc. and she said, the situation with the refs most times is unbearable but if a player or coach went nuts on a call the refs would get you and the rest of the refs you'd have down the line would punish your team unmercifully! So they grin & bear it as the refs screw both teams equally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom