The State Of Our Roster Right Now | The Boneyard

The State Of Our Roster Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd like to get some opinions on whether we are in better or worse shape than we were at the start of the 2015-16 season. We lose Gibbs, DHam, Cassell, Nolan, and Miller, and gain the freshman class and Larrier. keeping Rodney we hope. At this point it seems we are worse both offensive and defensively. We have 3 scholarships still to fill at the least so we need another good ball handling guard beside Gilbert, a power forward, and a big man that can bang and clean up after a rebound. Can Larrier replace DHam realistically? Any chance we could actually be a better team if KO pulls the right transfers out of his hat? DHam leaving seems to be pretty major and counting on freshman to replace what we lost is iffy. What say?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Hope AG and Vance can come in and give vs some good minutes along with larrier.

Reaction Score
seriously, it will depend a lot on how much JA develops this summer and how good AG really is.
Yeah, plus I hope Adams is taking a thousand 3's a day until practice starts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why ask this now when we don't know what the roster will be?

Yeah, can I include the 2-3 other guys who might show up next year too? No idea of the names yet, but I feel like we should account for them in these things.

Reaction Score
I'd like to get some opinions on whether we are in better or worse shape than we were at the start of the 2015-16 season. We lose Gibbs, DHam, Cassell, Nolan, and Miller, and gain the freshman class and Larrier. keeping Rodney we hope. At this point it seems we are worse both offensive and defensively. We have 3 scholarships still to fill at the least so we need another good ball handling guard beside Gilbert, a power forward, and a big man that can bang and clean up after a rebound. Can Larrier replace DHam realistically? Any chance we could actually be a better team if KO pulls the right transfers out of his hat? DHam leaving seems to be pretty major and counting on freshman to replace what we lost is iffy. What say?
don't forget calhoun is gone too

Reaction Score
The difference between dham last year and this year were his free throws were better he still had a sloppy handle made poor decisions was by far the worst perimeter defender at his best average defender turn the ball over and didn't play with any fire . Larrier Will go down as one of the best long-term transfers we've ever had as he too was a big time recruit five-star I believe and he is much more athletic than Daniel Hamilton and will be at least as good a rebound or if given the minutes

Reaction Score
IMO we need 1.) a ball handling guard. Both teams in the national championship game started 2 pgs (Paige is maybe more a CG but he can run the point). We have Adams and Gilbert, need someone else that can come in and share the duties. 2.) A wing that can shoot. Katin Reinhardt would fill this role nicely. 3.) A PF that can play defense, rebound and not foul incase Durham needs to redshirt.

If we got all 3 of those things I think we'd be in pretty good shape this year

Reaction Score
The difference between dham last year and this year were his free throws were better he still had a sloppy handle made poor decisions was by far the worst perimeter defender at his best average defender turn the ball over and didn't play with any fire . Larrier Will go down as one of the best long-term transfers we've ever had as he too was a big time recruit five-star I believe and he is much more athletic than Daniel Hamilton and will be at least as good a rebound or if given the minutes
At least the free throw part was accurate.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Hard question to answer imo. Although I cannot make Hawaii, I was very excited to see this team next year. With all the exits, I don't know what to think. We will need to concentrate on the newbies coming in. How long will it take to blend the right players. Remember KO was messing with the stating five 3/4 of the year. Imo we are looking the year after to see results.I pray that I am wrong.Hopeully they will blend quickly.

Reaction Score
Hope AG and Vance can come in and give vs some good minutes along with larrier.

Glad that you mention Vance Jackson. He is the over-looked factor in many of the assessments for next season. Here is a guy who made six or more treys in a game SEVEN times in the past season. SIX or more threes SEVEN times. No doubt he will have the usual defensive problems, but he will certainly be a weapon on offense. And I agree with those who say the loss of DHam will foster a guard-driven offense that maximizes the penetration skills of JA and AG. A sharp-shooting 3 is the perfect partner for a penetrating guard.

Reaction Score
Another thought on Vance Jackson. In posting those seven six-trey games, he was far from the go-to guy on his team. Prolific Prep's star was Josh Jackson. There were times, no doubt, when JJ drew the defense to himself and away from Vance, but on balance Vance was very much the second offensive go-to on that team.

Reaction Score
Losing Miller hurts the most. But I feel better about our roster next year than what we had at the end of the season this year. D Ham and Gibbs were awful on defense. Neither was really able to create their own shot. I really like that we will be more athletic on the wing with Larrier and hopefully a more consistent shooter with Jackson. Gilbert provides another creator to help Adams. On paper I really think the pieces fit better this year. If Adams doesn't hit that 3 the season would of been a major disappointment. But, who knows what we really have until we start playing games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the roster, minus DHam, is less promising on paper. But the reality of 15-16 was fairly dysfunctional. Gibbs wasn't a PG, JA wasn't ready early on and we rarely played well "as a team". It was a team that was less than the sum of its parts.

Looking at next year, we can only hope that going from essentially no PG to two PGs will result in a lot better offensive flow. RP can be the lead SG he was set to be before Gibbs arrived. We have to hope that Enoch takes a big step up and that Larrier can contribute, along with some of the freshmen bigs. It's a team that is at least structured more like our more successful teams of the past.

Reaction Score
Another thought on Vance Jackson. In posting those seven six-trey games, he was far from the go-to guy on his team. Prolific Prep's star was Josh Jackson. There were times, no doubt, when JJ drew the defense to himself and away from Vance, but on balance Vance was very much the second offensive go-to on that team.
That is like saying Scottie Pippen was chop liver just because MJ was on the bulls. Josh Jackson is one of the best players in the nation. We are just asking Vance to hit some 3's when open in our offense and not be this great dynamic offensive player.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a small, guard-driven team in 2014 that did pretty well.

Reaction Score
That is like saying Scottie Pippen was chop liver just because MJ was on the bulls. Josh Jackson is one of the best players in the nation. We are just asking Vance to hit some 3's when open in our offense and not be this great dynamic offensive player.

He's not only chopped liver but he can hold Steph Curry to under 20 points any time :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I understand that our roster is a work in progress and that even one player can change the whole dynamic. If offensive rebounding can be helped it would be big because we had a lot of one and dones against the better teams. If AB comes in and gets 2 fouls in the first half right away we need another big besides Facey and Enoch, because those guys are foul prone themselves.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I think a penetration attack of Gilbert and Adams with Purvis and Vance Jackson getting kickouts and hitting threes will be nice. We just need someone to get those boards.

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Adams, Purvis, and Jackson could be deadly together. AG + JA to attack and penetrate with RP + VJ to hit shots on the perimeter. Still like this team without Hamilton, though I'd still like it a lot better with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom