The Scariest Movie Ever Made | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Scariest Movie Ever Made

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OK, I'm not a big horror fan. As a kid, in the 60's, there was a 4:30 movie every day that occasionally was horror - "The Fly", the original one, gave me nightmares. And while I assume it was black and white to begin with, it certainly was on our TV.

Someone above mentioned The Birds, I saw the applicable scene (I don't think I saw the whole movie) and was likewise scared. Also, but less so, Vincent Price's "House of Wax". Poe's story where someone gets walled up, forget the name. And a similar horror movie where a dungeon was closed up, unfortunately with a gagged female locked inside a cage, unbeknownst to the good guys. From the sci-fi genre, 2001 also.

A lot of the well known horror movies I saw when I was older, and I was just in the room where someone was watching them, so I didn't necessarily pay full attention (Halloween, Elm Street, etc.). They didn't do it for me.

My wife likes horror flicks even less, and admits to being scared by Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Reaction Score
Night of the Living Dead was scary on a number of levels, not the least of which was coming out at 1 am of the campus auditorium where it had been shown to find a pea soup fog had rolled in. I remember a lot a head-swiveling on the way back to the residence halls.

We actually walked out of The Brotherhood of Satin, and I turned to my bride of a week and noted that I just did not need to be that scared.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. How can anyone as gorgeous as Rebecca De Morney be that evil?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Rosemary's Baby was creepy and terrifying. This scene sticks out in particular:

Rosemary.jpg

Roman Castevet`s response: "He has his father`s eyes." The terror was masked by everyday, breezy, often clever New York City banter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This thread reminds me to ask. "Why does anyone like horror movies? "

Well, some answers are given here

Why Some People Love Horror Movies While Others Hate Them

Still don't get it.

One link they make is adrenaline rush and try to connect enjoyment of horror movies to liking roller coasters. Well, I love roller coasters and hate horror movies so I must be nuts. :confused:

Happy Halloween.

Reaction Score
I thought the first Omen movie , with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick(sp?) was very scary, and I really liked the 1982 version of The Thing, by John Carpenter. Watched that one dozens of times as a kid! Someday I will have to check out the 1951 original.

Exorcist III with George C. Scott was the most chilling horror movie I can recall. When I had my first apartment, my roommate was out of town and I decided to watch E-III. By the time it was over, every light in the place had been turned on! LOL true story.
I'll second that on Exorcist III, scared the crap out of me. Also, the original Alien and John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" also gave me chills.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I remember seeing two movies back in the late 50's while in high school... No special effects in either movie; just sheer terror.

The original DIABOLIQUE...

And WAGES OF FEAR...

Strange that both movies were foreign films (French) and I think were directed by the same person.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
The Shining
The Ring
Phantasm
The Others
Beloved

Reaction Score
Two that come to mind for me are "The Amityville Horror" and "Alien."

Not really a fan of horror movies. My son and his girlfriend tease the heck out of me about it.

Reaction Score
Two that come to mind for me are "The Amityville Horror" and "Alien."

Not really a fan of horror movies. My son and his girlfriend tease the heck out of me about it.

I watch them, then usually wish I hadn't watched them.

Reaction Score
OK, I'm not a big horror fan. As a kid, in the 60's, there was a 4:30 movie every day that occasionally was horror - "The Fly", the original one, gave me nightmares. And while I assume it was black and white to begin with, it certainly was on our TV.
I thought the original "The Fly" was an x rated film. The pre-publicity said. "See The Fly when it opens.":)

Reaction Score
The first. " Phantasm". bar none. The flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz sent me behind the couch as a five year old.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a kid, Psycho, and later the Blair Witch Project did a number on me. I generally don't like the genre, probably because I remember how it felt to jump out of my skin during the shower scene. I did however develop a serious crush on Janet Leigh!

Reaction Score
I saw House of Wax in 3-D when I was 7 years old. I think the theater also had surround sound and part of the movie had someone hitting one of those balls connected by elastic to a paddle out into the audience. Vincent Price got his wax museum statues by covering real dead people with melted wax. I think I remember at the end, though I would have been looking through my fingers, that someone finally threw Vincent Price into the vat of boiling wax and his scream was deafening. I had nightmares for weeks afterwards and my older brother and parents laughed at me.

Reaction Score
Rosemary's Baby was creepy and terrifying. This scene sticks out in particular:

View attachment 25790

Roman Castevet`s response: "He has his father`s eyes." The terror was masked by everyday, breezy, often clever New York City banter.
Great film all around, but never got a scary chill out of it, maybe because the actress (Emmaline Henry) who plays her best friend was best known as Mrs Bellows on "I Dream of Jeannie". Lol

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
HALLOWEEN

Jamie Lee Curtis apparently kills Michael Myers by sticking a coat hanger into one of his eyes but when he bolts to an upright position and gets onto his feet I can remember shouting at her to "turn around, turn around...!"

Reaction Score
Not the movie, but when I was 12 years old in summer camp, our counselor read "Amityville Horror" to us. Still have nightmares 35 years later...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Too many to give one definitively. Most modern "horror" films to me are just horrible. However, as I've mentioned before, my mother loved horror films, and during my early childhood would take me to the movies with her to view them. Some which terrified me then, and some which gave me a twitch or two later are,

1) The original Dracula with Lugosi. Atmospherically it was, looking back, crude and effective.

2) The Birds.

3) Psycho. The first film to address murder not for gain, revenge, or pleasure, but because of mental affectation. No longer why the murder, but why that way.

4) The Exorcist.

5) The Blair Witch Horror. A movie that proved Hitchcock right. Suspense and mystery plus the human mind will create terror without the need for bloodshed.

6) Alien. Sometimes you do need bloodshed.

7) Aliens. Add the breakdown of order and more bloodshed.

8) The Thing (original). "The needle's hit the top!"

9) The Thing (with Kurt Russell). "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But I'd rather not spend the rest of my life tied to this ****ing couch!!" The first horror film to question what it means to be human, and how that affects your humanity.

10) The Walking Dead. Not a movie, but it takes the conceit in "The Thing" and carries it further. If you have society, your humanity, your family, your government, but take away your human-ness, are you still human? Take away society, what effect does that have on your humanity, family etc.? And so on. Plus, the knowledge that one mistake, as innocuous as stopping to look in a mirror, or a sneeze, can have a disastrous effect on your humanity, your family etc. How all of these concepts change continually; and the minute by minute terror on a micro level can make the most A level personality frozen with indecision, or worse, sapping their desire to live in such a world. Love it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom