The Ribbon boards and Temp seating revealed | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Ribbon boards and Temp seating revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the kind of decision we were making in my household this week. We are buying furniture. We have 4 and 7 year old girls who are gymnasts and soccer players. Do we buy nice furniture now? Or spend $1k at Walmart? I'm always of the mind that you spend for something nice and you don't take half measures. That's how a $2.5k set costs you $3.5k instead.

If the blueprints are for expanding this area, then building out now would require you to destroy the 5k you built before beginning work on the new 15k.

And don't forget Rutgers spent $112 million on 12k new seats.

Reaction Score
Would they go this route when they already have the blueprints for a buildout to 55,000? I'm assuming this end of the stadium will remain untouched until the need for the big buildout to 55,000.

Doing something like this would be a lot more cost effective than the original expansion plans - those plans are for a third deck opposite the tower. The open end of the stadium, if memory serves, was some kind of cosmetic thing with the orientation of the stadium such that people sitting in a majority of the upper deck seating would have a view of the Hartford skyline. Don't quote me on that.

My legit concern would be the wind. The wind coming in off that side of the stadium can be a significant home field advantage. I remember at least two games (Syracuse, cincinatti - where the wind coming in there was so strong it clearly effected the opposing team. I remember Zack Collaros trying to throw a deep ball at one point that basically stopped mid air and dropped to us for an INT.

I can live with less wind, and more fans though.

Reaction Score
Doing something like this would be a lot more cost effective than the original expansion plans - those plans are for a third deck opposite the tower. The open end of the stadium, if memory serves, was some kind of cosmetic thing with the orientation of the stadium such that people sitting in a majority of the upper deck seating would have a view of the Hartford skyline. Don't quote me on that.

My legit concern would be the wind. The wind coming in off that side of the stadium can be a significant home field advantage. I remember at least two games (Syracuse, cincinatti - where the wind coming in there was so strong it clearly effected the opposing team. I remember Zack Collaros trying to throw a deep ball at one point that basically stopped mid air and dropped to us for an INT.

I can live with less wind, and more fans though.

ah, thanks for the info. I also like the idea of a 3rd deck. Seems smart rather than end zone seats (I'm not a big fan of those).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thanks Gilligan for the pictures...the new ribbon boards look great and the temporary bleachers look fantastic. I, too, would LOVE to see these temp bleachers remain for the whole season. I'm now pimping out friends to go to the Maryland game so we can sell out the 40K and UCONN will open up those temp bleachers for sale. If not for sale (even a cheaper $10 gameday walk-up ticket), I, too, LOVE the idea of ticket giveaways to area school honor roll students, marching bands, football teams, military service people, etc to promote the team.

In my dreams, I envision the scoreboard being lifted and mounted on top of permanent bleachers that extends from sideline to sideline. 5K to close off the stadium and raise capacity to 45K. I agree with a previous poster (too lazy to go back and look who said it) that the wind factor is a nice home field advantage but I'd give that up in a heartbeat to have 45K strong at games. Plus, I think what we would lose in wind speed, we would gain in crowd noise being enclosed and trapped in the stadium as opposed to drifting out into the parking lots like a DJ Hernandez 2OT game-winning thrown game ball against Pitt. I can't wait to get to the point where we discuss adding that third deck on the home team's sideline. I sit in 139 behind the visitor's sideline and very close to the visitor's sections. I've always dreamt of a third deck going up above deck 2 behind the UCONN sideline and then being blasted with crowd noise. Intimidate our opponents! Plus, a third deck would stand out from I-84 so people traveling through our state (the New York to Boston commuters?) and would be a nice way to show off without even trying.

Reaction Score
If the endzone scoreboard side expansion is the only expansion in the next ten years, then we will truly be the definition of a "half-ass" program. Weren't the ribbon boards supposed to go all the way around the stadium or just behind the teams benches?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
This is the kind of decision we were making in my household this week. We are buying furniture. We have 4 and 7 year old girls who are gymnasts and soccer players. Do we buy nice furniture now? Or spend $1k at Walmart? I'm always of the mind that you spend for something nice and you don't take half measures. That's how a $2.5k set costs you $3.5k instead.

If the blueprints are for expanding this area, then building out now would require you to destroy the 5k you built before beginning work on the new 15k.

And don't forget Rutgers spent $112 million on 12k new seats.

The blueprints and footings are not ready for this area. They have design and footings for a sideline upper deck in place. This area would not be affected at all. If the sideline deck ever were to happen, it would simply put the overall stadium at 60K instead of 55k. This is a much more reasonable first step, imo.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Those Temp Seats are perfect for the awarding of tickets to honor students from schools around the state that I keep writing about. Keep em up. Distribute them to high schools, and have them plan field trips around trips to the RENT. Throw in a university sponsored tailgate for them. Hook em in early. All corners of the state. Danbury, Waterbury, New London, Bridgeport etc. Let's build this thing.

This is too forward-thinking to ever happen, but you are absolutely right that it should happen! You get the best students. You get a new fanbase. You get your money back in the long-run. Now, if we could just get the university to stop being too damned greedy and build this thing up the right way...

Reaction Score
I hope they don't announce the Rent record attendance at the Michigan game. The Michigan players may fall on the ground in laughter at the announcement of 44000 fans.

Reaction Score
I hope they don't announce the Rent record attendance at the Michigan game. The Michigan players may fall on the ground in laughter at the announcement of 44000 fans.

Did we even fathom the possibility of the seats being there but not being allowed to sit in them in our debate?

Reaction Score

Cue RG III statement on Rent being one of the LOUDEST stadiums he has played in.

All I want Michigan players to hear is UConn 28 Michigan 24.

unfortunately michigan looked pretty awesome last week

Reaction Score
Did we even fathom the possibility of the seats being there but not being allowed to sit in them in our debate?
I don't believe it was discussed. But I do know that I made mention of the dictatorship security guards making every effort to keep people off of them. Just can't remember which thread it was in. Just like they do for the chairbacks.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it was discussed. But I do know that I made mention of the dictatorship security guards making every effort to keep people off of them. Just can't remember which thread it was in. Just like they do for the chairbacks.

If people can't sit in them I hope they are covered. Last thing we need is empty seats.

Reaction Score
Cue RG III statement on Rent being one of the LOUDEST stadiums he has played in.

All I want Michigan players to hear is UConn 28 Michigan 24.

unfortunately michigan looked pretty awesome last week
I am positive that if UConn is in the game it will be loud. If they are getting destroyed the attendance announcement well be made in complete silence. Trust me, I hope the place is going bananas.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The Courant says we are 5K short of a sellout.

The game Saturday won't be televised, but will be broadcast on WTIC-AM and on the web at ESPN3. UConn said there are about 5,000 tickets left for the Maryland game and only a few scattered singles left for the Sept. 21 Michigan game.

Reaction Score

The game Saturday won't be televised, but will be broadcast on WTIC-AM and on the web at ESPN3. UConn said there are about 5,000 tickets left for the Maryland game and only a few scattered singles left for the Sept. 21 Michigan game.

Any idea if that includes the temp seating?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
From UConn Compliance: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/compliance/contact-psa.html

• [ ]YOU MAY NOT entertain or provide tickets at reduced cost to UConn home or away athletic or non-athletic events to a prospect, the prospect's family or friends. Admission to these events is strictly managed by the Division of Athletics.
What's a prospect you may ask:

--Prospective Student-Athlete: A prospective student-athlete ("prospect") is defined as an individual who has begun classes for the ninth (9th) grade. However, it is possible for a student who is still in a lower grade to be considered as a prospect. Please ask first if you have any questions or concerns.
You should know by now you can't mess with the NCAA, unless you wanna change grades of fake classes, pay players, hire a player "hostess" etc. etc.......

Okay, so then all honor students that DON'T plan on playing football. Because you know....so many of our honor students at UConn are on the football team... ;)

Reaction Score

Silver sez otherwise:

JohnFSilver 1:45pm via TweetDeck
UConn has about 2,000 tickets left for Maryland game. Michigan game has random seats left.

Reaction Score
Thanks Gilligan, looks amazing. At first i was going to say the same thing, but they look good as is. Really good.

I don't care much for ribbon boards, but I'm glad to see these are understated. I would hope they are used as much to provide information about the game as they are to try and lead cheers.

Dooley

Reaction Score
There are plenty of groups that UCONN could target for ticket giveaways:

- military
- first responders
- area elementary/middle schools
- area school bands
- charities (ex - donate $X amount towards chosen charities and get free tickets to select games)

Reaction Score
From UConn Compliance: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/compliance/contact-psa.html

• [ ]YOU MAY NOT entertain or provide tickets at reduced cost to UConn home or away athletic or non-athletic events to a prospect, the prospect's family or friends. Admission to these events is strictly managed by the Division of Athletics.
What's a prospect you may ask:
--Prospective Student-Athlete: A prospective student-athlete ("prospect") is defined as an individual who has begun classes for the ninth (9th) grade. However, it is possible for a student who is still in a lower grade to be considered as a prospect. Please ask first if you have any questions or concerns.
You should know by now you can't mess with the NCAA, unless you wanna change grades of fake classes, pay players, hire a player "hostess" etc. etc.......

There are ways around this.

Promotions!

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention this, but there was another board in the opposite end zone. Not sure if this is connnected to the ribbon boards but took a photo of it...

2-6231.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc