The retirement announcement makes me feel… | The Boneyard

The retirement announcement makes me feel…

Reaction Score
cheated by Randy Edsall. While I didn’t agree with the re-hiring of Randy, I watched him over and over again talk about how ”Rome wasn’t built in a day” and how we could not hold him accountable for the team‘s performance - it wasn’t his players.

Millions of dollars later and all his recruits, the team set records - not the kind any program wants - like worst defense of all time. Honestly, can’t remember any positive moments since he got “his” team on the field.

What made matter worse, is that he made no adjustments to his style of coaching or approach to the game. Nope, he decided to just ”call it in“ and collect a paycheck.

As a former season ticket holder who was on the field after we beat Houston in jubilation with our players - celebrating a great victory with the much maligned Diacoco - it is truly miserable to see how much worse it is today than it was at the end of that game.

I don’t believe Edsalll should be dictating the terms of his exit and collect another cool million on the state’s dime. We cannot get any worse - we need to put an interim coach in and help us all move on from the failed Randy Edsalll era. It’s time.

Reaction Score
do you think he would cease to be paid if we got rid of him instead? do you guys not know how contracts work?
No. We would make him answer phones like Dwight Schrute did to the stripper hired for Bob Vance’s bachelor party after Michael Scott decided they did not want her to strip any longer.

Dwight: I want you to sit here. When the phone rings, answer it.
Stripper: You want me to answer phones with my clothes on?
Dwight: We hired you for three hours work and we’re going to get it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
do you think he would cease to be paid if we got rid of him instead? do you guys not know how contracts work?
I know how to negotiate them and can tell you there is no planet in the universe, no parallel world, where Edsall had any leverage to demand any compensation assurance. So if his contract provides such, our Athletic Department is lost.

Reaction Score
I know how to negotiate them and can tell you there is no planet in the universe, no parallel world, where Edsall had any leverage to demand any compensation assurance. So if his contract provides such, our Athletic Department is lost.
is there not a CBA?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
is there not a CBA?
Does the CBA preclude firing for cause, and the freedom to negotiate cause? Or require a specific term or compensation structure?

Reaction Score
Does the CBA preclude firing for cause, and the freedom to negotiate cause? Or require a specific term or compensation structure?
Cause isn't just being bad at coaching. If it was, no coaches would get their buyout payments

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I feel bittersweet. We had our best days under RE1.0 and our worst days under RE 2.0.

It’s like marrying your ex-wife and divorcing her again. Those good times all those years ago were real and should be cherished, but mercy things just aren’t working anymore.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Cause isn't just being bad at coaching. If it was, no coaches would get their buyout payments
Cause is what the contract says it is. Cause can be because I feel like it, and based on Edsall’s results heading into the season that is what the contract should have said.

Reaction Score
Cause is what the contract says it is. Cause can be because I feel like it, and based on Edsall’s results heading into the season that is what the contract should have said.
no, cause is dictated by the CBA and as all of our other firings have shown, it's not performance based

Reaction Score
Just be happy he’s gone. It was a mistake bringing him back in the first place.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
Disgusted at the waste of money, emotion and anticipation of what could have been. Now I’m just nervous. Either the school bucks up and puts out the money to get some quality or they shut it down. What they have done with the last three hires won’t be tolerated again

Reaction Score
no, cause is dictated by the CBA and as all of our other firings have shown, it's not performance based
… and here is what the UConn AAUP CBA lays out for just cause (and remember Edsall is already 8 or 9 months into a 12 month contract):

-> Discipline, dismissal, and non-renewal of a multi-year appointment shall be for just cause such as:

i. Neglect of assigned responsibilities, incompetence, failure to meet continuing educational requirements, or to fulfill professional commitments;

ii. Insubordination or serious noncompliance with the University of Connecticut By-Laws (Revised August 5, 2015), the Code of Ethics for Public Officials (Chapter 10 of the Connecticut Statutes), or with University, State, or Federal Regulations governing research or NCAA Rules and Regulations;

iii. The use of fraud, collusion, concealment, or misrepresentation of a fact material to obtaining employment with the University and/or obtaining tenure, promotion, salary increase, or other benefit;

iv. Sexual harassment, serious misconduct, or other conduct which impairs the rights of faculty, students, employees or others who are engaged with the University in its business or operations;

v. Repeated, documented failure to meet generally-accepted satisfactory standards of job performance based on written evaluations conducted in accordance with Article 13.4 above. <-

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
… and here is what the UConn AAUP CBA lays out for just cause (and remember Edsall is already 8 or 9 months into a 12 month contract):

-> Discipline, dismissal, and non-renewal of a multi-year appointment shall be for just cause such as:

i. Neglect of assigned responsibilities, incompetence, failure to meet continuing educational requirements, or to fulfill professional commitments;

ii. Insubordination or serious noncompliance with the University of Connecticut By-Laws (Revised August 5, 2015), the Code of Ethics for Public Officials (Chapter 10 of the Connecticut Statutes), or with University, State, or Federal Regulations governing research or NCAA Rules and Regulations;

iii. The use of fraud, collusion, concealment, or misrepresentation of a fact material to obtaining employment with the University and/or obtaining tenure, promotion, salary increase, or other benefit;

iv. Sexual harassment, serious misconduct, or other conduct which impairs the rights of faculty, students, employees or others who are engaged with the University in its business or operations;

v. Repeated, documented failure to meet generally-accepted satisfactory standards of job performance based on written evaluations conducted in accordance with Article 13.4 above. <-
None of that applies if he is on a one-year contract.

Reaction Score
None of that applies if he is on a one-year contract.
Well… it was a two year contract extension on top of an initial 5 year contract. I’m sure the Union would argue it was a multi-year appointment.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Well… it was a two year contract extension on top of an initial 5 year contract. I’m sure the Union would argue it was a multi-year appointment.
Your post said he was on a 12 month contract?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
If it was a 2-year contract, was it bestowed by God or was it negotiated by the AD? Do you understand how negotiations and leverage work? It sounds like no, so maybe you work in the AD’s office?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
cheated by Randy Edsall. While I didn’t agree with the re-hiring of Randy, I watched him over and over again talk about how ”Rome wasn’t built in a day” and how we could not hold him accountable for the team‘s performance - it wasn’t his players.

Millions of dollars later and all his recruits, the team set records - not the kind any program wants - like worst defense of all time. Honestly, can’t remember any positive moments since he got “his” team on the field.

What made matter worse, is that he made no adjustments to his style of coaching or approach to the game. Nope, he decided to just ”call it in“ and collect a paycheck.

As a former season ticket holder who was on the field after we beat Houston in jubilation with our players - celebrating a great victory with the much maligned Diacoco - it is truly miserable to see how much worse it is today than it was at the end of that game.

I don’t believe Edsalll should be dictating the terms of his exit and collect another cool million on the state’s dime. We cannot get any worse - we need to put an interim coach in and help us all move on from the failed Randy Edsalll era. It’s time.
Post/handle

Reaction Score
Makes me feel like this was a firing but they are letting him leave with his dignity. However where was that same courtesy when you skipped the plane ride back from the fiesta bowl loss

Reaction Score
Disgusted at the waste of money, emotion and anticipation of what could have been. Now I’m just nervous. Either the school bucks up and puts out the money to get some quality or they shut it down. What they have done with the last three hires won’t be tolerated again
As I think, they did the safe hires (PP, BD and RE2), now they need to get an UNSAFE hire, someone that is not in article about who'll be the next UConn coach. Someone like an assistant coach at Bama for instance! A totally unexpected hire...

Reaction Score
As I think, they did the safe hires (PP, BD and RE2), now they need to get an UNSAFE hire, someone that is not in article about who'll be the next UConn coach. Someone like an assistant coach at Bama for instance! A totally unexpected hire...
Bob Diaco was not a safe hire! This,is a useless thread!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom