The Promise and Frustration of Big 12 Expansion (KC Star) | The Boneyard

The Promise and Frustration of Big 12 Expansion (KC Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
""SEC schools are bound by obscene amounts of cash, and the other Power 5 leagues are held tightly together by contract language that is apparently ironclad. That means the Big 12, like any other power league, would be dipping into leagues like the Big East, American Athletic, or Mountain West.

Which means more obstacles. Because one person in the Big 12 might be intrigued by Connecticut, seeing a new part of the country opened up for recruiting and exposure, while another may see increased travel headaches and costs, as well as a football stadium that’s too small."

Asked if it felt like the league was deciding between a bunch of “B-minus” options, one source laughed, and said, “that’s a good way to put it.”

The whole thing is awkward, in other words, being forced to shop for a sensible midsize when you can’t see yourself in anything other than a luxury car with muscle under the hood."

Read more here: The promise and frustration of Big 12 expansion, seen as inevitable by many and needless by some

Last edited:
Reaction Score
""SEC schools are bound by obscene amounts of cash, and the other Power 5 leagues are held tightly together by contract language that is apparently ironclad. That means the Big 12, like any other power league, would be dipping into leagues like the Big East, American Athletic, or Mountain West.

Which means more obstacles. Because one person in the Big 12 might be intrigued by Connecticut, seeing a new part of the country opened up for recruiting and exposure, while another may see increased travel headaches and costs, as well as a football stadium that’s too small."

Asked if it felt like the league was deciding between a bunch of “B-minus” options, one source laughed, and said, “that’s a good way to put it.”

The whole thing is awkward, in other words, being forced to shop for a sensible midsize when you can’t see yourself in anything other than a luxury car with muscle under the hood."

Read more here: The promise and frustration of Big 12 expansion, seen as inevitable by many and needless by some
B-minus options for a b-minus league. Time for the B1g 12 to recognize what they are. A school like UConn adds far more value to this league than they are willing to admit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
B-minus options for a b-minus league. Time for the B1g 12 to recognize what they are. A school like UConn adds far more value to this league than they are willing to admit.

I suspect that the powers that be do know, or will know shortly. They may not care though.

Reaction Score
When there is disagreement - you end up with weird compromises.

This league is so screwed up I could see them expanding and taking Houston and Memphis.
That would be an Apollo Creed hitting the speed bag like type shot to the nuts. Or rocky

Reaction Score
Its really quite simple. Either they expand because tv executives promise a network in which UConn is a lock or they don't expand. Adding teams like Houston and Memphis do nothing but devalue their current payout. That ain't happening under any scenario.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I am not holding my breath for the Big 12 administrators to see the value of UConn. I fully expect them to not expand at all and fail down the road or for them to take the best football schools at the moment of expansion, aka the most short-sighted solution.

Almost every piece of literature coming out of B12 country tells me these people have no idea what a well rounded conference needs for survival, and everyone is so football-drunk that they can't see what's best for them. The B12 is not UConn's future.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That would be an Apollo Creed hitting the speed bag like type shot to the nuts. Or rocky

True but when you combine disagreement on expansion with disagreement on teams to expand with I think what you end up with is no expansion.

The GOR's don't run much longer... that is when the golden geese will be available and then we'll get chaos.

Reaction Score
True but when you combine disagreement on expansion with disagreement on teams to expand with I think what you end up with is no expansion.

The GOR's don't run much longer... that is when the golden geese will be available and then we'll get chaos.

Schools like UT & OK know that there are greater riches to be had outside the B12 then in an expanded B12 with a B12N for them. Even with Boren's public grandstanding I still want to see him sign an extended GOR which will certainly be a requirement for a B12N. With a network they will still be $12-$15MM behind th SEC & B1G.

Until the Big 2 decide they want to start adding more schools I don't think we see any movement

Reaction Score

Well, tough. What's available in your price range is what you can choose from.

My girlfriend is trying to buy a condo in Boston because she's tired of paying crazy rent. It's either buy by the time her lease is up or move outside the city. She can't afford anything close to a turnkey place in Back Bay or Beacon Hill, so she's looking at fixer uppers in Southie. The location isn't ideal but with some cash and a little work, there's a ton of value there.

We're a fixer upper in Southie. Everyone not named Oklahoma or Texas can either buy us for what we'll be down the road or pack their crap and move to the suburbs.

Reaction Score

I have to agree with this. The shorter than normal length of The B1G's new media deal is clearly designed to coincide with the end of other conferences' grant of rights. At that point they will act, and UCONN will either have a shot in a greatly expanded B1G or as a replacement for a poached ACC School. Either way it will be a massive improvement over your current circumstances.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, tough. What's available in your price range is what you can choose from.

My girlfriend is trying to buy a condo in Boston because she's tired of paying crazy rent. It's either buy by the time her lease is up or move outside the city. She can't afford anything close to a turnkey place in Back Bay or Beacon Hill, so she's looking at fixer uppers in Southie. The location isn't ideal but with some cash and a little work, there's a ton of value there.

We're a fixer upper in Southie. Everyone not named Oklahoma or Texas can either buy us for what we'll be down the road or pack their crap and move to the suburbs.

My wife bought a single family house in Southie in the late 90's. It's a good neighborhood that is only moving up. Back Bay, Beacon Hill and even South End are done and closed out to anyone without significant income. It has the best water frontage in the city, and like UConn, unlimited potential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have to agree with this. The shorter than normal length of The B1G's new media deal is clearly designed to coincide with the end of other conferences' grant of rights. At that point they will act, and UCONN will either have a shot in a greatly expanded B1G or as a replacement for a poached ACC School. Either way it will be a massive improvement over your current circumstances.

It's also designed to coincide with the disintegration of the current model for consumption of content. I think it's funny that everyone thinks the B1G picked this short contract length. No way in hell. Fox picked it. It wasn't getting locked into that extreme over-payment long term. The next B1G contract will go down. Count on it. SEC too. This bubble is close to bursting.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's also designed to coincide with the disintegration of the current model for consumption of content. I think it's funny that everyone thinks the B1G picked this short contract length. No way in hell. Fox picked it. It wasn't getting locked into that extreme over-payment long term. The next B1G contract will go down. Count on it. SEC too. This bubble is close to bursting.
I believe you are correct.

APA

Reaction Score

Ah, I don't think that they're getting any football schools from the Big East.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. This was a hail mary by Fox to save the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom