"The pressure is on UConn" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"The pressure is on UConn"

Reaction Score
This team has had pressure every single game this season.

They wanted to win the 2K MTE event. They did.

They wanted to earn a number 1 AP ranking (and keep that ranking). They did.

They wanted to win the Big East titles. They did.

They wanted to get the number 1 overall seed. They did.

Playing with poise and confidence through it all.

Is there “pressure”? Sure.

But it’s nothing they haven’t executed under all season long.

As a fan base, we probably feel more pressure than the team does at this point…

They were not the hands down favorite all year so while the pundits expect them to win it all now, getting to the Final 4 has to be considered a success of a season no matter what the next game or two results in.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This team would go down as one of the greatest not to win the championship, up there with 91 UNLV and 85 Gtown so the pressure is definitely on

tricky because I’m talking about something that hasn’t happened yet and hopefully never will. Can you rewrite my sentence using active voice and in fewer words?

I'm giving it a try out of respect for your request. Looks like the answer is No as to fewer words.

"The '85 Georgetown and '91 UNLV teams received criticism for not winning during seasons when many thought they were the best team. I think UConn is best, so I'll be unhappy if they don't win. In that sense, I am pressuring them to satisfy me. Others are probably doing the same. I don't know how much UConn feels this or other pressures."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We're too good. Your eyes don't lie my friends

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
passive!
So my attempt failed...except for stressing the full assumption of personal responsibility, instead of speculating or pronouncing about what future history will be, and what such thoughts add up to in the present.

Then again, the topic you responded to was specifically about "pressure." Thanks for offering me a chance to question the framing of the original question.

I remain firm in emphasizing the game-by-game delight that has been available and will soon expire by design. I want the team to continue to produce such wonder & joy in me, and I want as many people as possible to experience what I'm seeing & feeling for as long as it continues.

And, yes, words fail...

"And so castles made of sand fall in the sea
Eventually" (which, to me, isn't a bad thing)

Reaction Score
tricky because I’m talking about something that hasn’t happened yet and hopefully never will. Can you rewrite my sentence using active voice and in fewer words?
Love Hans but no.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Now you did it Hans. I can't get this out of my mind...

Reaction Score
The best thing about not having a sole superstar is that the pressure is collective. If someone has an off night for us, 5 others can step up. If Terrence Shannon has an off-night, Illinois is fubar'd

Reaction Score
Pretty odd narrative that the pressure would affect the coach, staff, and half the roster that won a national title last year.

They are a confident and serious bunch that I believe is focusing solely on the next goal in sight - beating Illinois and winning the east regional.

All the other noise is from the media and fans.
I can believe there's a lot of pressure to get over the hump and into the Final Four...when you've not done it before. When you've already done it, it's just a quarterfinal game.

Reaction Score
I can believe there's a lot of pressure to get over the hump and into the Final Four...when you've not done it before. When you've already done it, it's just a quarterfinal game.
I do wonder how Bama reacts to being in their first Final Four.

Are they just happy to be there? Do they actually believe they can go all the way?

We obviously took full advantage of our first trip. Other programs have face-planted.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how Bama reacts to being in their first Final Four.

Are they just happy to be there? Do they actually believe they can go all the way?

We obviously took full advantage of our first trip. Other programs have face-planted.
But our UConn team had been to the E8 the year before, had won back to back BET and BE regular season titles, and had only lost twice that year (only once fully healthy). They were a dominant #1 seed.

Alabama....well, they aren't the 1999 UConn team. The more you look at their resume and actual results, the more you realize how good a draw we got.

Reaction Score
There reason pressure doesn’t matter is UConn is so much better than everyone they are playing. It doesn’t matter.

This might be the best college team in a generation. Listen, they gotta win it, but there is only one way this team loses…

A team like Alabama does a creighton and hits 15 3s.

Reaction Score
There reason pressure doesn’t matter is UConn is so much better than everyone they are playing. It doesn’t matter.

This might be the best college team in a generation. Listen, they gotta win it, but there is only one way this team loses…

Spot on…we were horrible from 3 and won handily.

Reaction Score

But...remember. Creighton is a Top 20 defense. So while they were hitting 15 3s, they were also stymying our offense...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, over on CBS, at the 8-minute mark, a masterclass in pressure feels is being conducted by the two remaining finalists for this year's Gene Mauch Award.

Reaction Score
That's why you need a next game mindset and not thinking about repeating. Next game, next play mentality. Learn from it and get better. Easier said than done. That's why it's both a mental game and physical game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom