"The pressure is on UConn" | The Boneyard

"The pressure is on UConn"

Reaction Score
I've heard this a few places in the context of Illinois playing loose and like they have nothing to lose -- which is surely true -- but does that mean the converse is true, that we should feel pressure to win?

Of the 7 main guys, most of them have already won -- only Spencer and Castle are completely new. Hurley has the monkey off his back, big time. Newton, Karaban, and Clingan were integral parts of last year's team. Diarra and Johnson have rings.

We have tremendous opportunity, yes, to accomplish something special and cement this team's 2-year run as close to unprecedented in the sport. But it's a real stretch to say that there's pressure on us to do it, especially to the point of affecting the team's performance.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The idea that Illinois is the loosest team Rob Dauster has seen made me laugh. I have never seen a team as confident as our guys.

I'm not sure there is a looser team than the one that beat down SD St by 30

I hear both of you and I see each opinion (confidence, being loose) as accurate. I believe that the team as a whole is viewing this entire experience as a business trip (not here on vacation, not here to do any sightseeing, we're here to get a job done) and the looseness and confidence that we are seeing are merely by products of this attitude, not the attitude itself.

Reaction Score
This team would go down as one of the greatest not to win the championship, up there with 91 UNLV and 85 Gtown so the pressure is definitely on

Reaction Score
This team would go down as one of the greatest not to win the championship, up there with 91 UNLV and 85 Gtown so the pressure is definitely on
Pressure smessure. This team is Uber confident. I’d bet my last dollar that have no fear that they’re losing.

I’m not saying they won’t. But if they do it won’t be because they succumbed to the “pressure”. It’ll be because Illinois played their A+ game and we didn’t.

Reaction Score
I just don't buy the "UConn could play tight here since everyone expects them to win."

I could plausibly see us tightening up in a close/late-game situation where we need an individual to take over and our complicated offense isn't generating the usual looks.

But there is no chance in hell that we come out tight.

Reaction Score
I just don't buy the "UConn could play tight here since everyone expects them to win."

I could plausibly see us tightening up in a close/late-game situation where we need an individual to take over and our complicated offense isn't generating the usual looks.

1. I haven’t even seen everyone picking us to win. I’ve seen multiple media members say Illinois can beat us.

2. Because of that I think the boys come out with a chip on their shoulder. It’s in the makeup of this team. They for certain think people still don’t believe. Dan won’t let them get complacent.

Reaction Score
The idea that Illinois is the loosest team Rob Dauster has seen made me laugh. I have never seen a team as confident as our guys.
I can't even watch that podcast anymore. Oglesby is fantastic and I like several of the other guys they bring on but Goodman and Dauster ruin it for me.

Reaction Score
Is this really fit for game day? No matter how you spin it, it's a bad mojo.
I wish some of us could just keep their thoughts to themselves.

Reaction Score
If they're saying there's no pressure on them, it's as simple as this. They are liars. First time they're where they are in 30 years and there's no pressure? First opportunity of a repeat champion since 2007 and there's no pressure on us? It's college athletics at the highest competition and it's one off night and you're packing up and seasons over. Since when does nobody feel any pressure?

Reaction Score

no, whatever we play like is who we are, and has nothing to do with being tight. This whole tournament you're under the spotlight and this pressure on everyone every game, and this whole idea of us being tighter because we're favored is nonsense.

and best team not to win discussion OMG that is a bad omen, and certainly gonna avoid that one like the plague :)

Reaction Score
Pressure smessure. This team is Uber confident. I’d bet my last dollar that have no fear that they’re losing.

I’m not saying they won’t. But if they do it won’t be because they succumbed to the “pressure”. It’ll be because Illinois played their A+ game and we didn’t.
I’m not saying they’ll crack under the pressure either. Pressure makes diamonds (set into championship rings)

Reaction Score
I've heard this a few places in the context of Illinois playing loose and like they have nothing to lose -- which is surely true
If true then thanks for playing Illinois, we’ll see you out now. Leave the final four to the program that wants it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pressure is expectations of success and pressure turns charcoal in to diamonds.

Embrace it.

All but seven other programs would trade their right nut to feel the pressure of UConn tonight.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said that they have been in the situation are comfortable playing in it. Obviously if shots fall it gets even better rather than getting tight. I’ve seen some pretty bad shooting in games lately and we’ve had our 3-22 already.

Reaction Score
The pressure is on everyone.

This is a single elimination tournament. That's what makes it great. It's also a basketball game. And UConn has a lot of players that are good at basketball.

Reaction Score
A team will take on the personality of its point guard.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever seen Newton look anything other than he just woke up from a nap, and is headed downstairs for a bite to eat. (and maybe is debating on whether to return upstairs for a bit)

The dude doesn‘t do tight.

Reaction Score
Pressure is expectations of success and pressure turns charcoal in to diamonds.

Embrace it.

All but seven other programs would trade their right nut to feel the pressure of UConn tonight.
Andre Jackson said he would have literally murdered someone to win the chip with UConn. Teams that are just happy to be here don’t feel that way

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom