The Possibility We Were Bandying About... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Possibility We Were Bandying About...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If there is a GOR involved, stick with the BE.

Sigh.

Do really think the discussion has gone that far? If Cincy and UConn are masterminding this thing, why would we want a GOR?

You people make me want to take up smoking sometimes.

Reaction Score
They are not totally irrelevant to the long term success. They are a bridge that keeps the athletic department afloat on the 50/50 chance that the ACC loses members in the next 5 years. By granting your rights to this MWC thing for ten, you've effectively relegated your school to mid-major-dom not only for the next 10 years, but perhaps for as long as college sports are still played in the USA.

It's bridge financing to possibly nowhere.

If we don't get into the place we want to be. I would rather be in a place that's better than the proposed BE.

Reaction Score
If the TV money is decent the schools will come without a GOR. The trick is convincing whatever network to do it, with the understanding that any school offered to join a "power 5" conference (I hate that friggin term, its such a demarcation line) has to take it. If the league pays 8 million a year, perhaps the departing team can pay that back as a GOR for a couple of years/lenght of GoR. It is time to think outside the box.

Reaction Score
You sue the Catholics/Big East saying their decision to leave en mass caused damage, then work out a deal on the credits. That's if you can't work one out without the suit. But over all I like the strategy of forming a new league. it isn't what I'd hope to do, but at least it shows initiative and a willingness to take action. You could set up an east west alignment, and have an East-West championship in football which if proeprly marketed could create some intrigue (Eastern power vs Western finessse) which is fundamentally the idea behind the Rose Bowl match up. Play home-home vs your division in basketball and some other deal in basketball. I wouldn't particularly worry about other sports. Baseball already makes multiple trips to Texas, florida and so forth, and the olympics travel to large regional and national meets, not dual meets against 1 school. I think for sports like soccer you just do an east-west playoff alignment then have semis and finals at a single site.

Reaction Score
Sigh.

Do really think the discussion has gone that far? If Cincy and UConn are masterminding this thing, why would we want a GOR?

You people make me want to take up smoking sometimes.

I thought we were discussing a hypothetic with a GOR.

Reaction Score
If the TV money is decent the schools will come without a GOR. The trick is convincing whatever network to do it, with the understanding that any school offered to join a "power 5" conference (I hate that friggin term, its such a demarcation line) has to take it. If the league pays 8 million a year, perhaps the departing team can pay that back as a GOR for a couple of years/lenght of GoR. It is time to think outside the box.

I agree. If there is anything to this story, and if the MWC schools mentioned are interested then it's the best news we've gotten in months or even years.

I can't believe there are still people who think we need to stick around and see how this Big East thing works out. Are you people stupid?

If this came to fruition, and it is a long shot it would involve all of the schools we actually gave two about playing in football plus the best of what is in the MWC.

It even looks appealing in terms of basketball.

Reaction Score
I thought we were discussing a hypothetic with a GOR.

We're not. You people need to remember that this is a blank sheet course of action. No way this conference happens with a GOR.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree. If there is anything to this story, and if the MWC schools mentioned are interested then it's the best news we've gotten in months or even years.

I can't believe there are still people who think we need to stick around and see how this Big East thing works out. Are you people stupid?

If this came to fruition, and it is a long shot it would involve all of the schools we actually gave two ****s about playing in football plus the best of what is in the MWC.

The reason most here are debating it (since it isn't too much different for UConn from a football standpoint) is the three big letters....G...O...R. The question is whether or not you want to bluff other bigger conferences by saying, "We're locking ourselves up in a multi-year media contract that cannot be altered (up for debate)." That is one really ballsy game of chicken, my friend!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
16, 14 12. Set it up however it works best. The idea is that there is a chance that an East/West affiliated conference CAN work and work better than what the NNNNNNNNBE (post C7) is now.

In this case bigger is better because the goal is to provide content for someone other than ESPN, namely NBC. Bigger is also better for the travel expense asscociated with the O sports.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If this came to fruition, and it is a long shot it would involve all of the schools we actually gave two ****s about playing in football plus the best of what is in the MWC.

Not stupid. Just don't have a crystal ball. There are pitfalls with staying and pitfalls by playing the bluff! Both can backfire in UConn's face. Either choice is an AO slam dunk and not a Tim Duncan slam dunk!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lol at all of this. a couple months ago ppl wanted me dead over this kind of talk about the future. not so funny and stupid now hugh?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Why not have a GOR? If I'm any other school other than Cincy or UConn, I'd want some kind of assurance that the two "founders" won't bolt. Negotiate a 6 year GOR. Have it roll over each year upon vote.

Reaction Score
They are not totally irrelevant to the long term success. They are a bridge that keeps the athletic department afloat on the 50/50 chance that the ACC loses members in the next 5 years. By granting your rights to this MWC thing for ten, you've effectively relegated your school to mid-major-dom not only for the next 10 years, but perhaps for as long as college sports are still played in the USA.

I don't believe we can stay relevant in a crap conference just because we have money to spend. It's not like we can give the money to the players. (At least I hope it's not like that).

Reaction Score
The reason most here are debating it (since it isn't too much different for UConn from a football standpoint) is the three big letters....G...O...R. The question is whether or not you want to bluff other bigger conferences by saying, "We're locking ourselves up in a multi-year media contract that cannot be altered (up for debate)." That is one really ballsy game of chicken, my friend!

Ok. I'll play.

Would you rather spend eternity in CUSA II and risk destroying the Athletic Department?

Or would you sign a 5-10 year GOR and spend up to a decade playing in sexy new conference with schools in the fastest growing regions in the US?

If I could guarantee you the sexy new conference would you really pass on that for a 80% chance of death and irrelevance or the slim chance of the ACC?

Are we really going to be that pathetic? I think you guys are being overly optimistic about the ACC.

We've been passed over at least twice. Maybe even three times? Show some pride! They don't want us.

Reaction Score
We're not. You people need to remember that this is a blank sheet course of action. No way this conference happens with a GOR.

I was going off the opening posts.

Reaction Score
I don't believe we can stay relevant in a crap conference just because we have money to spend. It's not like we can give the money to the players. (At least I hope it's not like that).

I am in absolute violent agreement with you.

Reaction Score
UConn
Cincy
USF
Memphis
Temple
ECU
UMass
UCF

Boise St.
SDSU
BYU
UNLV
New Mexico
SMU
Houston
Tulsa
7 reg season games against your division plus 2 crossover games for FB. Home and home against division plus 4 crossover games for BB. Other olympic sports can stay within division.

Advantage is that a logical spread across time zones equals more content for someone like NBC.
no umass. pull tulsa east, add fresno. would take nevada over new mexico. after that, not a bad league. basically the new farm system for the PAC12...

Reaction Score

Aren't we talking football here? What choice do we have? We already know what we're relegated to in football.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
lol at all of this. a couple months ago ppl wanted me dead over this kind of talk about the future. not so funny and stupid now hugh?

To be fair, you say a lot of stuff. Most of us still can't comprehend it in it's original form. And, FWIW Hugh is a name. It's spelled "huh"

Reaction Score
Ok. I'll play.

Would you rather spend eternity in CUSA II and risk destroying the Athletic Department?

Or would you sign a 5-10 year GOR and spend up to a decade playing in sexy new conference with schools in the fastest growing regions in the US?

If I could guarantee you the sexy new conference would you really pass on that for a 80% chance of death and irrelevance or the slim chance of the ACC?

Are we really going to be that pathetic? I think you guys are being overly optimistic about the ACC.

We've been passed over at least twice. Maybe even three times? Show some ****ing pride! They don't want us.

I take 50% chance of the ACC.

You really think the ACC has a 80% chance of staying together over the next 5 years?

Reaction Score
I was going off the opening posts.

It's too soon to judge. This is something that needs to be considered. Now that I think about the GOR it may not even be a terrible idea.

In fact, if you assume that the ACC and the B1G will not happen. Then a GOR is total non-factor in my book.

Reaction Score
16, 14 12. Set it up however it works best. The idea is that there is a chance that an East/West affiliated conference CAN work and work better than what the NNNNNNNNBE (post C7) is now.

In this case bigger is better because the goal is to provide content for someone other than ESPN, namely NBC. Bigger is also better for the travel expense asscociated with the O sports.
Bigger is better here also because it finally kills off MWC and CUSA as threats. There were years (last) where people argued that CUSA was better at the top (due to good years by Houston and SMU). There were years where people argued that the MWC was better top to bottom. With all their best schools in the fold, we'll get that last bowl bid. And that's important.

Reaction Score
It's too soon to judge. This is something that needs to be considered. Now that I think about the GOR it may not even be a terrible idea.

In fact, if you assume that the ACC and the B1G will not happen. Then a GOR is total non-factor in my book.

I agree with this.

B1G will not happen.

ACC is hanging on tenterhooks, unless the ESPN comes to the rescue with $$$, and if that happens, get out the shanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom