The phantom third foul on Sanogo | The Boneyard

The phantom third foul on Sanogo

Reaction Score
Hurley has to stop fouling players out of games. Sanogo ended the game with 4 fouls. How many minutes did we miss because Hurley was too afraid to play him?

How does he not put him back in at the under 4 timeout?

Why is he playing offense/defense with Sanogo when he’s one of our best defensive players and best defensive rebounder?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Hurley has to stop fouling players out of games. Sanogo ended the game with 4 fouls. How many minutes did we miss because Hurley was too afraid to play him?

Why is he playing offense/defense with Sanogo when he’s one of our best defensive players and best defensive rebounder?
If Hurley played him with four and he fouled out with more than a minute left the boneyard would call for Hurleys head.

Reaction Score
Was the 3rd foul when on offense he ran into the Creighton guy or the other offensive foul when the ref called him for the hook? They showed the replay on the hook and his arm didn't even touch the Creighton guy. No part of him touched the guy. How is that a foul?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Why? He would have played the same amount of minutes he ended up playing. Hurley left minutes in the table.
I can’t overstate how easy things like this are to say in hindsight.

In a game that had a very high chance of going to OT, you don’t want a weapon like Sanogo fouling out in regulation.

Reaction Score

In a game that had a very high chance of going to OT, you don’t want a weapon like Sanogo fouling out in regulation.
No it’s not easy to say it in hindsight. It was plain as day during the game. He did this same thing last year with Akok when he would get 2/3 fouls and he hadnt fouled out of a game all year. You get 5 fouls, use them. Maximize your minutes played.

Reaction Score
Was the 3rd foul when on offense he ran into the Creighton guy or the other offensive foul when the ref called him for the hook? They showed the replay on the hook and his arm didn't even touch the Creighton guy. No part of him touched the guy. How is that a foul?
The third foul was when Sanogo was running down court, Creighton player jumped in front of him and was still moving and they called the foul on Sanogo. As the announcer said, it was NOT a foul but it was a senior play by the Creighton player and the ref fell for it and screwed us.

Reaction Score
No it’s not easy to say it in hindsight. It was plain as day during the game. He did this same thing last year with Akok when he would get 2/3 fouls and he hadnt fouled out of a game all year. You get 5 fouls, use them. Maximize your minutes played.
I agree about the 2nd foul, but not about the 4th. Offense/defense is fine. We have other good bigs and Creighton isn't a team where need 2 bigs on D in the game.

Reaction Score
I agree about the 2nd foul, but not about the 4th. Offense/defense is fine. We have other good bigs and Creighton isn't a team where need 2 bigs on D in the game.
Whaley on Bishop out of the under 4 timeout was brutal. Needed to have Sanogo out there who was playing Bishop so well. Whaley allowed Bishop to get the ball so deep which is something Sanogo is great at defensively.

Reaction Score
Whaley on Bishop out of the under 4 timeout was brutal. Needed to have Sanogo out there who was playing Bishop so well. Whaley allowed Bishop to get the ball so deep which is something Sanogo is great at defensively.
Hindsight. Whaley is the DPOY in the conference.

Reaction Score

100% this. Sanogo was the difference-maker in this game for us. I think we were about +20 with him in the game and -23 with him on the bench.

We lost by a shot. Sanogo finished the game with 4 fouls. How much crucial Sanogo time did we cost ourselves? One possession? 5 minutes? One thing is for sure - it’s a positive number.

If I’m afraid my house may burn down, it’s not much of a solution to . . . burn my own house down myself.

Same goes for sitting a key player in foul trouble down the stretch. It’s a weird bit of wrongheaded sports tradition, like the automatic 4th-down punt or the sacrifice bunt.

Reaction Score
Also, let’s pause and recognize how great it is that we’re even having this conversation about a freshman big. What a player Sanogo has shown himself to be. He has improved rapidly and generally plays very smart.

Most of the fouls called on him tonight were dubious. The over-the-back on Bouk’s miss was the only clear-cut mistake foul by him. So excited for his career at UConn!

Reaction Score
Red Auerbach knew a little about basketball. He always said you protect a guy with 3 fouls but with 4 you don’t bother. He either plays under control and stays in or he fouls out, but no sense taking him out prematurely.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Fouls 3-4 were all crap. The “hook,” 3rd foul Mahoney literally ran into him out of the flow of the game for no reason ,4th foul ref should have just called OOB

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The 2nd and 3rd fouls were horrible fathom calls. Refs like making hero calls. Sometimes they begin to think they're the show. I hate that nonsense.

One time I'm like, OK, it happens. The second time I totally lose respect for them and their profession

Reaction Score
Looked liked he (Sanogo) tried to hook the guy and missed him with his left arm pretty much. Earl Weaver of the Orioles once talked about how one bad call on a pitch could change the whole momentum of an at-bat, possibly an inning, and of course the game. I believe the 4th foul may have been one of those.
One foul called under the basket, which was replayed in slow-mo with the camera looking over the refes left shoulder as he called it, was very condeming as well. My wonderful TV provider app (CCI) wouldn’t let me go back and look at the play, it’s supposed to have the capability.

Reaction Score
The third foul was when Sanogo was running down court, Creighton player jumped in front of him and was still moving and they called the foul on Sanogo. As the announcer said, it was NOT a foul but it was a senior play by the Creighton player and the ref fell for it and screwed us.
Mahoney set him up for that. Smart BB.. McD knew he wasn't winning the game if AS was on the floor .. Would really like to have heard his conversation with the ref during his back massage.

"Are you going to let the Big Guy keep manhandling our guys or are you going to start blowing the whistle"?

Reaction Score

Well first you have to get to overtime or possibly win. Why play for overtime?

Reaction Score
Looked liked he (Sanogo) tried to hook the guy and missed him with his left arm pretty much.
Exactly. So now refs are calling intent to foul? Sanogo literally missed the guy with his arm. If there's no contact how can it be a foul? The ref was right there on the baseline with a great view too. That one pissed me off more than the other one.

Reaction Score
Exactly. So now refs are calling intent to foul? Sanogo literally missed the guy with his arm. If there's no contact how can it be a foul? The ref was right there on the baseline with a great view too. That one pissed me off more than the other one.
Refs are anticipating fouls.. Not unlike AJ by the way.. And have quick whistles. The unique athleticism of both AS/AJ is creating these phantom foul calls ahead of any foul actually happening. Do the they make freshman fouls?Yes they do.

Are all the fouls being called on them legit? No.

Reaction Score
The last two fouls were pretty bad. It looks even worse after the no call on the Bouk taking a shot to the throat. While I don't think it was intentional, it didn't exactly look like aa move for the ball either. I know it's not an offensive foul, but do the words 'Player Control Foul' mean if that's not a case for a whistle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom