The Olympics | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Olympics

Reaction Score
Other professional sports should look at snowboarding. They all want to win, but the camaraderie is impressive. You can tell it's a lifestyle as much as a sport. When Red Gerard was waiting to see if his score would hold up, he looked legitimately excited to cheer on other competitors... and then equally excited when he kept the lead. The women's half pipe seemed similar.

I think that part of the Shaun White stuff is resentment for his success that exceeds the sport and lifestyle. I'm sure he doesn't give a crap, but it was noticeably different watching the men's half pipe. He's the A Rod of snowboarding. His sexual harassment situation may give people the excuse to make him a pariah like post-suspension A Rod. Then again, he did win another gold, unlike A Rod who couldn't play anymore.

My wife and I have noticed that there are a lot more winter olympic sports that can kill you (downhill, the extreme mountain sports, luge/skeleton, ski jump...) than summer olympic sports (bike race, stray javelin?). Even some of the sports that aren't dangerous to compete in, involve the athlete shooting guns.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Read about it this morning. I find it creepy as hell but if we're going after every guy for sending unsolicited pics, probably close to half of men are going to be in big trouble.

He didn't even send pictures of himself from the way I read it, it was random pictures. And the stuff about him telling her to wear skimpier clothes and cut her hair a certain way and then when she refuses say "Are you sure you want to say no to me?" is pretty messed up.

Reaction Score
He didn't even send pictures of himself from the way I read it, it was random pictures. And the stuff about him telling her to wear skimpier clothes and cut her hair a certain way and then when she refuses say "Are you sure you want to say no to me?" is pretty messed up.
That's somehow even weirder. I guess he is a whackjob.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kim Jung Un look-alike trolling North Korean cheer squad. That girl's face is priceless! He marched in front of them waving Korean unity flag before being ushered away.

Kim_Jong_Un_Olympics.jpg

Reaction Score
Watching the men’s downhill. Way to hold an Olympics where it doesn’t snow. It’s weird watching a skiing even when all the surrounding mountains are brown. I’m guessing these ‘ski areas’ were all just created for the games.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Watching the men’s downhill. Way to hold an Olympics where it doesn’t snow. It’s weird watching a skiing even when all the surrounding mountains are brown. I’m guessing these ‘ski areas’ were all just created for the games.
My dad was in the Korean War and it snows in Korea. Maybe it's just warmer than usual this year but Korea is on the same latitude as CT. He used to say the Korean War was worse than Vietnam because like Vietnam, they had monsoon season, but they also brutal cold and snow (especially in North Korea where he spent some time). They lacked adequate clothing for the cold.

Reaction Score
yes, it snows like a mother on Korea, ask a Korean war vet. It is also cold as fluck.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You are not well-informed.

Korea has ski resorts for its ski resorts. They are loaded up with ‘em.

Reaction Score
The next Olympics are in Beijing, how much do you think it snows in Beijing???

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The alpine events will be in Yanqing which is like 60 miles northwest.

I think the Nordic events will be even further away.

Reaction Score
There is a thing called "snowmaking" it's a more consitant and preferred product by racers.

Reaction Score
There is a thing called "snowmaking" it's a more consitant and preferred product by racers.
Created at Mohawk mountain in Cornwall, Connecticut where I learned to ski.

Reaction Score
I lived a 2 hour train ride south of Beijing for almost 2 years and I can assure you it snowed there, winters were cold. I remember a 3 day trip to Tianjin in winter once, freakin' cold there too.

Go really far north to Harbin and it is brutally cold in winter, like CT has nothing on it but in the hotel is soooo cozy and warm!

Why would people think it does not snow in Northern China??

Reaction Score
The alpine events will be in Yanqing which is like 60 miles northwest. I think the Nordic events will be even further away.
Given the IOC's only 2022 alternative was Almaty, China won their PR opportunity and will undoubtedly pull it off on their own or with help from outside experts, e.g., Euro and Canuck snow making gurus

Yanqing and Changli are roughly 120 and 150 miles of so from Beijing. As with alpine, nordic and other events not held in Beijing, spectators will be whipped to events in about an hour aboard high-speed train lines Yanks and most westerners can only dream of on good days. Additionally, a second massive international airport will open in the next few years. Beijing doesn't make sense in many ways; just add the 2022 Olympics to a long list.

Reaction Score
I lived a 2 hour train ride south of Beijing for almost 2 years and I can assure you it snowed there, winters were cold. ... Why would people think it does not snow in Northern China??
Maybe some people are considering limited snowfall during most recent Beijing winters, and the Beijing Olympic committee's actual planned location of alpine, nordic, and most events ;)

Reaction Score
You are not well-informed.

Korea has ski resorts for its ski resorts. They are loaded up with ‘em.

The resort hosting the slalom events averages under 100 inches of snow per year. That’s pathetic. It certainly gets cold as hell in South Korea that’s for sure.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Calgary had the same issue. I think El Nino was a thing at that time.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Calgary had the same issue. I think El Nino was a thing at that time.
Not sure about Calgary, but Vancouver absolutely depended on extensive snow making as well as shipping in snow via caravans of trucks and helicopters. The inadequate snow was widely reported by media sources and witnessed in person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom