The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread

Reaction Score
The defense is excellent. Even without their two best players. But the offense is the worst I’ve ever seen.
10 points, 10 points, and 6 points allowed, and lost all 3 games. I would not think that to be possible.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I want to see the Pats get a top 3 pick just to watch what Belichick does with it (assuming he’s there). With a guy like Caleb Williams already asking for a piece of team ownership, I’d love to see Belichick try to live in that world.
He would draft a kicker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
10 points, 10 points, and 6 points allowed, and lost all 3 games. I would not think that to be possible.
It has not happed since 1938. So pretty close to impossible

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Still hold pick #2 with the win.
I still believe tanking for a QB doesn't make sense because it's impossible to evaluate college quarterbacks... except for generational talent. I would actually tank for Harrison Jr before the two QBs.

But...you do know the Pats will have at least one more win with the Jets game? So....the Pats will struggle to stay in P2.

I am not saying the Jets will draft higher....they will find a way to play like crap yet still win a game they shouldn't just so they won't be in position to draft an impact player...lol.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I still believe tanking for a QB doesn't make sense because it's impossible to evaluate college quarterbacks... except for generational talent. I would actually tank for Harrison Jr before the two QBs.

But...you do know the Pats will have at least one more win with the Jets game? So....the Pats will struggle to stay in P2.

I am not saying the Jets will draft higher....they will find a way to play like crap yet still win a game they shouldn't just so they won't be in position to draft an impact player...lol.
I'm with you. I don't think either of the two supposed top QB prospects are any more likely to succeed than Daniels, Nix, Penix. Harrison is as close to can't miss as you'll find in the draft. That said, I do want one of those 5 QBs. Not the kid from Michigan.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Which two? For one, I don't think Caleb Williams is a generational talent on the "Suck for Luck" level). Secondly, in a few mocks I've seen over the last few days have Drake Maye going 1st and a few others have Williams as low as #6. OTOH, it could be some writer(s) putting out fluff for the sake of argument.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Which two? For one, I don't think Caleb Williams is a generational talent on the "Suck for Luck" level). Secondly, in a few mocks I've seen over the last few days have Drake Maye going 1st and a few others have Williams as low as #6. OTOH, it could be some writer(s) putting out fluff for the sake of argument.
Williams and Maye are both said to go in the top 3. Williams was definitely going #1 until his mid season slump. I still think he has a ton of talent... reminiscent of Mahomes...but something happened mid season and he looked like a different guy. Not sure what it was... injury...off field distractions... coaching. But he was a different guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if scouts fell in love with him again and he went top 3. I don't think either are a lock to succeed. I think Trevor Lawrence was the last one that was a lock...and Luck before him.

Reaction Score
Williams and Maye are both said to go in the top 3. Williams was definitely going #1 until his mid season slump. I still think he has a ton of talent... reminiscent of Mahomes...but something happened mid season and he looked like a different guy. Not sure what it was... injury...off field distractions... coaching. But he was a different guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if scouts fell in love with him again and he went top 3. I don't think either are a lock to succeed. I think Trevor Lawrence was the last one that was a lock...and Luck before him.
I would add Burrow in between Trevor and Luck.

Agree neither is a lock, but you have to roll the dice on it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How can your best game from the QB position come from a guy you cut that same year?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I would add Burrow in between Trevor and Luck.

Agree neither is a lock, but you have to roll the dice on it
The only thing that was weird about Burrow was that it was just one year. One amazing year..but just one year. Some were wondering if it was Brady...but Burrow was pretty amazing in that year. I still don't remember him having "sure thing" hype, but he has been an amazing pro. Seems to be injury prone...but amazing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Williams and Maye have been the clear top two. Usually in that order. I agree things may have changed. Neither guy was amazing, while Penix, Nix and Daniels pretty much were. So I think any of those five might be a strong starting NFL QB. All five could flop. Assuming the Pats can grab one of them later in the 1st or early 2nd, I would draft Harrison.

Combines, workouts, interviews could change everything.

Reaction Score

If I’m the Bears and I have picks 1 and 3 I’m taking Marvin Harrison jr, then I’m taking Jayden Daniels.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Williams and Maye have been the clear top two. Usually in that order. I agree things may have changed. Neither guy was amazing, while Penix, Nix and Daniels pretty much were. So I think any of those five might be a strong starting NFL QB. All five could flop. Assuming the Pats can grab one of them later in the 1st or early 2nd, I would draft Harrison.

Combines, workouts, interviews could change everything.
They could change everything but mean nothing.

Sorry...I am still bitter that after combines, workouts, and interviews, the Jets selected basically Jamarcus Russell. Meanwhile...last year in the 7th round the 49ers selected the 2023 MVP candidate.

Yes...very bitter...lol.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bears and Jets both win. Carolina loses. Cardinals are the only competition for the 2nd pick and the 3rd pick seems pretty safe.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The end of the worst season in a long, long time. Jets win streak finally ends. Was this Bill’s last game in New England? I really hope not, but there’s no way he can stay and still have the same control he has now. The stories about scouting department not using analytics just make me think of Moneyball. Need some offensive minds on the staff, and in the personnel department along with an entire analytics team (like every other team in the NFL).

If Bill is gone, I do not want Vrabel. I’m not sure the Lions OC Ben Johnson is ready, but they’d interview him along with Mayo.

The loss does lock up the #3 pick, could be #2 if Washington wins. So that will land a QB or Harrison.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The end of the worst season in a long, long time. Jets win streak finally ends. Was this Bill’s last game in New England? I really hope not, but there’s no way he can stay and still have the same control he has now. The stories about scouting department not using analytics just make me think of Moneyball. Need some offensive minds on the staff, and in the personnel department along with an entire analytics team (like every other team in the NFL).

If Bill is gone, I do not want Vrabel. I’m not sure the Lions OC Ben Johnson is ready, but they’d interview him along with Mayo.

The loss does lock up the #3 pick, could be #2 if Washington wins. So that will land a QB or Harrison.
I've been a huge BB fan. But I really hope he doesn't come back. (I'd be for him coming back with vastly less control, but I can't see any path to that happening.)

I hear you on not wanting Vrabel.

Pretty dismal end to another dismal season. But I've been a fan since Grogan was a star - this won't be the first time they've been in the gutter and crawled back out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've been a huge BB fan. But I really hope he doesn't come back. (I'd be for him coming back with vastly less control, but I can't see any path to that happening.)

I hear you on not wanting Vrabel.

Pretty dismal end to another dismal season. But I've been a fan since Grogan was a star - this won't be the first time they've been in the gutter and crawled back out.
Agreed and I go back to the 70s too. We had a run unlike any other pro franchise has had. It couldn’t last forever. I actually think they are close to being good again very quickly.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So the early mock drafts out today all seem to have the Patriots drafting Daniels at #3. I'm not convinced (a) that Caleb Williams will go #1 and (b) that if it is Williams - Maye - ? that the Patriots won't take Harrison. He's the most sure thing in the draft, at the position the Patriots have struggled with the most.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So the early mock drafts out today all seem to have the Patriots drafting Daniels at #3. I'm not convinced (a) that Caleb Williams will go #1 and (b) that if it is Williams - Maye - ? that the Patriots won't take Harrison. He's the most sure thing in the draft, at the position the Patriots have struggled with the most.
I guess it depends who the GM is. Patriots need to figure out BB's role quicklu

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I guess it depends who the GM is. Patriots need to figure out BB's role quicklu
Multiple reports that he is willing to relinquish some control over personnel. He said it in the press conference. That's a huge development, because if he wasn't your coach and you were looking for the best available coach - he'd clearly be the best available coach. The issues are almost all on the GM/Personnel side, and even there, just on the offensive side of the ball. He does a great job evaluating and drafting defensive players. So I'm hoping we end up with what I predicted. More brainpower (like we had with Caserio) making decisions, especially on offense, and Bill remains coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed and I go back to the 70s too. We had a run unlike any other pro franchise has had. It couldn’t last forever. I actually think they are close to being good again very quickly.
Seriously? I go back to Joe Kapp and I don't think they'll be good again in my lifetime. The only hope is if the Krafts sell and that's not happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom