The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Let's start with the draft. Wow! Nice job by Douglas and his team.

I am a little surprised they didn't look at Safety or use a higher pick for OL....but otherwise you have to be impressed with this group of players.

Biggest question mark going into the season is OT. They need another Morgan Moses type of FA pick up to make me feel better going into the season with Becton and Fant.

Douglas has progressively gotten better with the drafts. First year....maybe D or even F if Becton can't stay on the field. Second year...B....maybe higher if Wilson reaches his potential. Third year at this point an A. You never know how they will turn out, but this group looks franchise changing.

Reaction Score
The drafts by Douglas and the robberies for Adams and Darnold having me a believer he could be very good.

I loved this draft. The Jets had the most draft capital so they SHOULD have done well but I’m excited for the season and I don’t think I say that often.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The drafts by Douglas and the robberies for Adams and Darnold having me a believer he could be very good.

I loved this draft. The Jets had the most draft capital so they SHOULD have done well but I’m excited for the season and I don’t think I say that often.
I agree...and I think I brought this up in last year's thread...why do you think Douglas whiffed so bad in 2020? It was his first draft for the Jets, but he has been part of many drafts. Did he let Gase have too much of a say?

Reaction Score
I agree...and I think I brought this up in last year's thread...why do you think Douglas whiffed so bad in 2020? It was his first draft for the Jets, but he has been part of many drafts. Did he let Gase have too much of a say?
That'd be my guess. For the life of me, I'll never understand how they saw anything in Gase. Not sure I've ever been more frustrated than watching the offense revolve around Frank Gore's 3.2 YPC.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So...spring camps are over and where are we?

In general...it's hard not to be optimistic. It sounds like the offense has many more weapons and they finally have a secondary with depth.

But....I still worry about the OTs. Especially Becton. While it's nice to hear he will play with a chip on his shoulder, all the criticism he has gotten was warranted. If he turns out to be a bust, this team will struggle to evolve. I hope they find a strong backup in case Becton or Fant have injury issues. The current roster is very shallow at OT.

It sounds like Wilson looked better....but not great. I still think he will develop into a top QB. Can't wait to see the running game.

Overall...I am optimistic.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Becton fulfill his potential but if I'm betting on it? I'm betting against it. It doesn't appear that he has the ticker. At his size? He hasn't needed it. His size has been enough to dominate until now. So he has to find that ticker or he's a bust.

There's a ton of speed and game breaking talent on offense, albeit young, right now. I hate the Bengals comparison and the jump they made year over year, but there are some similarities in terms of potential quick strike/big play scoring if it clicks.

My concern is a backup if Wilson is out for any extended period of time.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I would love to see Becton fulfill his potential but if I'm betting on it? I'm betting against it. It doesn't appear that he has the ticker. At his size? He hasn't needed it. His size has been enough to dominate until now. So he has to find that ticker or he's a bust.

There's a ton of speed and game breaking talent on offense, albeit young, right now. I hate the Bengals comparison and the jump they made year over year, but there are some similarities in terms of potential quick strike/big play scoring if it clicks.

My concern is a backup if Wilson is out for any extended period of time.
Yeah...I hope Becton proves us wrong... but it's hard to have faith in him. My only hope is that Douglas knows what he has in Becton and he had a chance to draft a top OT to replace him, and he didn't. Maybe it's just his ego because he drafted Becton, but you would think he would do whatever is necessary to protect Wilson.

I am actually ok with the QB backups. White and Flacco looked decent in Lafleur's offense last year and they should only be better this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok Jets fans...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So..... Becton out. I have to admit.... this has been a good camp for the Jets except for the constant Becton drama. Maybe him being away from the team will eliminate a distraction. Of course I would rather he was there and healthy.

Douglas is in a tough position. He passed on a lot of OTs in the first round. If Duane Brown doesn't work out, hopefully someone who has a need for a DL and can spare and OL is out there.

Douglas's 2020 draft is looking worse and worse by the minute.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok Jets fans...

Just saw this.

Doesn't matter...Wilson is starting no matter who plays best in camp. And...since that tweetl Wilson had been more consistent.

It does feel good that if Wilson goes down there is a solid backup on the team.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I need to rant...to myself...about how poorly Douglas has handled the OT position. Probably the most important position (other than QB) on the offense... especially with a new QB.

It has been obvious to everyone for a couple years now that expecting to play Becton a full season was very risky. And....it's not like the guy was amazing the little he did play.

So...it's almost criminal that Douglas didn't address the OT position in the draft until the fourth round. And he didn't address it during free agency. Not until the end of camp did he bring in an experienced backup in Brown. And...that deal wasn't closed until Becton went down for the season....again.

Now...not surprisingly...the 37yo OT who missed most of camp will most likely miss up to 4 games. Meaning the developmental OT drafted in the fourth round is starting. And if he gets injured...or Fant...who comes in?

It stinks that the Jets will start the season in such a deep hole because Douglas rolled the dice and lost. He blew it by drafting Becton and he has compounded the problem by not investing in backup OTs. I know finding good OTs isn't easy...but that's what he is paid to do.

Meanwhile...the Jets have 478 good to very good defensive ends and their first round DE will struggle to get on the field.

It sucks that the Jets have really improved their skill position players and they may not show what they can do because the plays are getting blown up at the line of scrimmage.

I like Douglas...but the 2020 draft in general and his lack of fixing the offensive line, will probably result in another 4 win season.

Hopefully...Mitchell surprises us and Brown comes back soon, but being a Jets fan I am tired of "hoping". Lol.

Ok..rant over.

Reaction Score
Any glimmer of hope for Wilson and this team making a big leap forward have been ripped to shreds by Wilson out a month, the OL problems and the Bills looking like they have the division, bye week and home playoff games for the next 10 years.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Any glimmer of hope for Wilson and this team making a big leap forward have been ripped to shreds by Wilson out a month, the OL problems and the Bills looking like they have the division, bye week and home playoff games for the next 10 years.
Well....today didn't make me feel any better. Offense is a mess. There is a lot of pressure on Lefleur to figure this out quickly.

Reaction Score
Well....today didn't make me feel any better. Offense is a mess. There is a lot of pressure on Lefleur to figure this out quickly.
What a disaster. I like how hard E Moore and Carter play, but the offense just looks simple and predictable. Hey, at least the Patriots lost too. That always lifts my spirits.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
What a disaster. I like how hard E Moore and Carter play, but the offense just looks simple and predictable. Hey, at least the Patriots lost too. That always lifts my spirits.
Yeah....sadly the highlight of my day was the Patriots losing.

I think a struggling offensive line combined with an immobile quarterback has resulted in a struggling offense.

Reaction Score
Yeah....sadly the highlight of my day was the Patriots losing.

I think a struggling offensive line combined with an immobile quarterback has resulted in a struggling offense.
Starting to feel like Saleh might be all smoke. "All gas, no breaks" and that rah rah stuff but doesn't put a product on the field that scares anyone on either side of the ball.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I decided to take a radio and cooler of beer to the pool for Bob Wischusens call of today's football game. At least I'm getting to him listen to him call a game.....J E T S JETS JETS JETS

Attachments

• 29241.jpeg
    29241.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 111

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Wow....what a game! Great to see the skill position players deliver. This has been an off-season focus and they have some young talent there. Offensive line has been surprisingly confident. Hard not to watch this offense and not get excited to see Wilson back there. Nice game for the kickers also!

Only downside was the defense. I really wasn't worried about them going into the season.... should we be worried? Is Brisset better than I thought?

Reaction Score
The win was an anomaly. Some good signs from some contributors that are hopefully part of the longer term solution. Defense gave up a ton of points to a QB who should not be a starting NFL QB. Lots of luck in the outcome. Hopefully, you take all that and roll it up and build on it though.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The win was an anomaly. Some good signs from some contributors that are hopefully part of the longer term solution. Defense gave up a ton of points to a QB who should not be a starting NFL QB. Lots of luck in the outcome. Hopefully, you take all that and roll it up and build on it though.
Isn't that odd? Saleh is a defensive guy...they have a number of quality defensive lineman...Dabs and LBs are solid. Is it scheme? I really expected them to be better this year.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So...they lose another OT and win AT Pittsburgh. Nice! Mixed bag by Zach, but I was impressed with the fourth quarter.

They have to stop with the stupid penalities. But the team has heart. And I hope this types of win gives Zach the confidence going forward.

Lastly.... being a UConn football and Jets fan has been really.... really....really painful lately. As in "why am I still a football fan?" painful.

This weekend was sweet...very sweet. Congratulations to other UConn/Jets fans!!!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok...two weeks...two wins by the Jets and Huskies. Not sure when that has happened before. Wow.

Great news is the young playmakers are stepping up. Both on offense and defense.

Still not sure about Zach... but I am hopeful. Offensive line is somehow holding up with all of the injuries and changes. Pretty amazing. Still a concern, but hopefully the OTs heal up and the line gets. even better. AVT is a warrior.

Concern is still around defending the run and safety play. But, gotta give credit to Saleh...the team plays hard for him.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So....I will continue my weekly blog on here...lol

So....the Jets are 4-2 for the first time since when.....1969? Lol.

My biggest concern coming into the season was OL....and somehow they have been pretty damn good despite the injuries. AVT might be team MVP. And....with Fant and Mitchell coming off IR soon...they actually could have decent depth at OL. Amazing.

Defense has been very good....and will only get better (injury dependent). They truly have shut down corners and D line is playing as expected. LBs and safeties have been ok...and are getting better with Williams back.

Special teams are solid. Nice to have a somewhat stable kicking game.

Hall has been amazing...and will be Zach's best friend. Zach still isn't there....and I do wonder if he will ever get there...but I love that he is learning to not play hero ball. Hopefully at some point a strong running game will pair with a strong passing game. But until then....I am happy to have him be a game manager

This team can win with a strong defense and competent offense. Let's hope they can keep the momentum going.

Reaction Score
For a while I thought the ball state refs were doing the game.

Zach is coming along, hopefully he's still in his preseason form since he missed almost all of it.

Defense is looking much better. Gardner is great, and they are finally getting pressure on the qb.

Hall is a stud and add Carter is a very nice young one two punch at running back. Hopefully once Zach gets fully comfortable we'll see more from Garrett Wilson and Moore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom