The offense and how immaturity is affecting it | The Boneyard

The offense and how immaturity is affecting it

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With one regular season game left (Saturday at Providence), Auriemma knows the growth of his freshmen's maturity will be vital in just how long the Huskies can extend their season in March.

"Sometimes the immaturity of players shows up when they're not making shots and it affects them instead of understanding that it's part of the game,” he said Wednesday after UConn's win over Villanova. “Sometimes the ball doesn’t go in. My concern more is making sure that we get enough touches by everybody else, that they have opportunities to make shots. And then if they make them, they make them. If they don't, they don't. There's nothing you can do about.

Reaction Score
I think the freshman and Ice have hit the first-year wall .........how they respond from here on in is going to be vital to the team's success in March and April......

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think the freshman and Ice have hit the first-year wall .........how they respond from here on in is going to be vital to the team's success in March and April......
IMHO the 6 day break between the final BE conference game and the BET will do wonders. It will also help that they don't have to get on a plane to travel to the BET.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think we need to work on using the back board more on the short or close in shots. Just sayin'
Isn't it kinda late in the season to work on new things?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ashlynn and KK have to just shoot, shoot, and shoot during down time in practice. Their ability to make shots will make it easier for our seniors. If not, we will not get far. Also, I don't know why, but Ash is not making an effort to areas where she can take her mid-range shot. It's money, and I believe it is as good as Paige's and Azzis, if not better.

Reaction Score
Injuries and lack of depth have made it incumbent upon the freshmen to develop a tad more rapidly within the high pressure/high expectation cauldron of UConn WBB. They will be fine as long as Coach Auriemma keeps assuring them and they are able to feed off of the transcendent talents of Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Not concerned about Ashlynn and shooting at all. KK on the other hand, she's got to be better on the offensive end. Bulldozing your way into the lane and trying to teardrop over the rim doesn't work now nor will it ever work for a 5'9" player in todays game.

Reaction Score
You do it for layups, right? Using the backboard for shots from the side is a long lost art and in theory is easier to hit than straight-in, which is why they painted the box on the backboard. It gives the shooter a much better target than the rim does.
I use the back board for any shot as close as about 8 ft. feet.

Reaction Score
Using the back board is a quick fix and a no brainer. It surprises me that KK still tries to force her way through people to get to the basket. She did kick it out a few times the other night.

i noticed that Ash takes some time to square herself and get her shot set. her mechanics are slow and that might be why she’s in a slump. Against slower, less skilled players she can get her shot off but against quicker athletes she is struggling. Her form is good, just slow. She also tried to force things the other night.

Q seems lost on defense. Lost or confused.

Reaction Score
The maturity problem is inevitable considering the shape of this season. These young women will have much to reflect on once the season is over. I hope they find much to be proud of and much to build on. This season could have crushed the spirits of ordinary players, and that it didn’t says a lot about this recruiting class. Geno is managing their confidence for March, but also for next year and the two after that. This is what a great coach does.

I remember the ways many of us imagined the new kids before the season began. There was the usual optimism, the high hopes, and some sense of who the freshmen were as individuals. We sensed that KK was speedy and fierce. How much so, few guessed. We understood that Q was a talented perimeter shooter, but not how good she could be driving the lane. And Ash was a bit of a mystery to us. How far down the bench would she end up, and would she see any meaningful minutes? I’ll skip over Jana, who was deprived of her opportunity to shine by injury — I expect we’ll all be singing her praise next season.

How surprising that Ash turned out to be the most D1-ready of all of them. Or how closely KK would parallel Nika’s ferocious defense? Q’s troubles on defense were clear to everyone, but her flashes of brilliance on offense reassured us.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Playing defense is not easy at UConn. Players are expected to do a multitude of things - switch, don't switch, rotate, weak side, and this is coming from someone that never played hoop, except at a health club. Ash & KK are making fewer mistakes and are also recognizing them earlier so the impact isn't bad. It's just gonna take Q a bit longer, as the other frosh are in the starting 5, and that unit is pretty cohesive. When Q comes in, there's less consistency with who's on the floor, so sometimes it doesn't look as smooth as the starters.

Reaction Score
Using the back board is a quick fix and a no brainer. It surprises me that KK still tries to force her way through people to get to the basket. She did kick it out a few times the other night.

i noticed that Ash takes some time to square herself and get her shot set. her mechanics are slow and that might be why she’s in a slump. Against slower, less skilled players she can get her shot off but against quicker athletes she is struggling. Her form is good, just slow. She also tried to force things the other night.

Ash's shot is a two step process. She first brings the ball up to in front of her face with the right hand twisted back so the ball is now in position to shoot. Paige's hand is perfectly placed in back of the ball when she begins to bring it up to shoot. Many players have Ash's form, including several men Big East players, like Baylor Scheierman from Creighton.

I think that both Ash and KK try to force. When KK forces, she often gets past her defender due to her speed, but then has to contend with the larger interior p[layers she didn't see in high school, and doesn't take that 8 foot pull up J which is a very high percentage shot. There has been some improvement in her selectivity, but she still goes back to form when she hasn't been scoring.

I think the one who has to become more offensive is Nika. Double digits from her can make a huge difference.

Reaction Score

They all lose their man on switches in every game that I have seen...including the seniors. It's not just Q. Paige got beat 2 or 3 times against Villanova. So did Edwards. I noticed that in the last quarter..Geno called multiple timeouts. I'm certain it was because they were gassed. KK is fast and initially, yes, she drove and forced some things, but that has noticeably changed. She's doing that for a reason...to push tempo and to attract multiple defenders. Problem is she doesn't always have someone to kick to because...they aren't in position yet. She's experiencing the same thing as MoJeff...when to go fast and when not to.

Reaction Score
I think the one who has to become more offensive is Nika. Double digits from her can make a huge difference.
Yep. She's shoots the 3 as well as Paige, but you can see at times that she is hesitant to let it fly.

Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with any of the freshman considering most of them would not have been playing this much and would have been practicing against all those players on the bench. As far as using the backboard...sure, use it if you can, but that's not always possible when the defender is much taller, possibly quicker and most likely defending the angle to get it on the backboard. Just because you get it on the backboard...where you get it matters. Holmes (Indiana) is the best I've seen and from any distance. Gustafason (sp) for Iowa was a master at it. One of the shots that has evolved the most in WCBB is the scoop layup. It's not just for flash. ? Because the angle to the backboard is more accessible and usually not defended...especially, for undersized players. Hidalgo, Fulwilley, Clark are good examples here.

Reaction Score
Nika has been using the scoop lay up lately. At times she still puts the ball too high on the glass. She keeps her hand flat under the ball and could twist it slightly on the way out and put it more to the side of the square . That rotation will cut down on the ball going too hard off the glass. She is actually still developing offensively. She shoots .406 from the arc and .571 from non 3 point shots. That's a strong number. The answer for her is not more 3s, which she has to be open for, but rather more drives and pull ups, which is her new shot, and which she can create.

Reaction Score
For any type of success in the tournament, AE and Paige can't be all of the scoring. If that's the case, they MAY get to the sweet 16, but then get blown out by whomever it is.

Nika needs to hit 10 points a game in the tournment. I know she does so much for the team, but she needs to put some points on the board. Has to.

KK and AS - need to average 10 a piece.

Ice, needs some meaningful minutes in the paint grabbing some boards and making a few shots. No fouls.

Q - honestly, not even sure. Shes like a bolt that fell into the engine well and you can hear it, but just can't find the darn thing. Can't wait to see what a mature Q is like.

AE, Dear God, the bunnies. The bunnies the bunnies the bunnies. THose have to fall come March.

Those things happen, and some luck, they can get to the elite 8 or even the final 4. Fatigue, at that point, will do them in, but considering the injuries and what they have been through, that would be a best case scenario and a very successful season.

EVERYONE needs to stay out of foul trouble.

My .02, it relly is as simple as that :)

Reaction Score
I think we need to work on using the back board more on the short or close in shots. Just sayin'
Absolutely agree with all the freshmen but particularly KK because she drives to the basket more than the others. The number of bunny misses under and around the basket by the entire team is disturbing at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
To me it comes down to shot selection. It appears Geno is asking players to make shots they just aren't going to hit at a high level and it has nothing to do with maturity. Ash is not a three point shooter and no matter how many she takes she isn't going to hit them at a high percentage. Inside of 15 feet she is money and that is where she needs to work to get her shots.

With Q it is the opposite. She isn't limited by her range and if she was sitting in the corner taking the open threes I think UConn would hit a much higher percentage and all of a sudden the freshmen wall would disappear. Ice can make a layup and that is what she should be expected to hit in games. To ask her to do something else after watching her all season is wishing or hoping but not based on evidence. But 10 points from her on the inside might be more important that any 15 footers she might shoot.

Inside 20 you have AE who is very good and will shoot a high percentage. Sure she misses a few short shots but keep in mind she is being defended by 2 players that are usually taller than her and she still shoots a big percentage overall. Paige is the only player they have right now that can shoot from anywhere and still shoot close to 50% and that will not change in the next month. UConn will go as far as she can carry them. Then you have Nika who has range but is very reluctant to actually pull the trigger.

UConn plays really good defense and they will need to lean on that to make a deep run. When they play a tall team they need to pressure pressure pressure until the other team has to adjust. Ohio State did it to UConn last year and this year UConn will have to do it to others.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah does fine with the bunnies. She missed a few the last two games because she was the focus of the defense in the first half each time. This was possible because the perimeter shooters struggled and they ended up forcing the ball into her surrounded by defenders. Once the rest of the offense found the range, she did a lot better.

I think it’s pretty clear that Aaliyah needs Ash and Nika to hit a few 3s early in each game. If that happens, it’s off to the races, and then all the midrange shots open up and even KK will be able to get to the rim.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree with all the freshmen but particularly KK because she drives to the basket more than the others. The number of bunny misses under and around the basket by the entire team is disturbing at this point in the season.
Agreed! However, Aaliyah’ performance against Villanova was somewhat of an aberration. They (Villanova) were determined that she was not going to beat them and basicaly swarmed her every time she got the ball! While she did miss a lot of so called “bunnies” they were mostly under great duress. The number of those being missed routinely by this team is concerning. I hope the coming break before the NCAAs will give these players a chance to recharge before the big run!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom