The Night UConn Football Died | The Boneyard

The Night UConn Football Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn will win this game.

And then we will hear about biggest improvement is week 1 to week 2, first games should be thrown out the window, it was preseason since it was out of conference, how BbD saw great things in the effort and not quitting, how he loves the guys and they are a family.....

Reaction Score
Bob's problem is he's letting this schmuck Verducci call the offense.

Reaction Score
Defense has not been that good. Long drive and long pass for TD's by ME. Couple of drops have helped Uconn a lot. Not 1 punt return.

Whole coaching staff is not looking good.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Defense has not been that good. Long drive and long pass for TD's by ME. Couple of drops have helped Uconn a lot. Not 1 punt return.

Whole coaching staff is not looking good.
The offense is still playing catch up, obviously. But I agree the defense hasn't yet lived up to the hype and should be as much of a concern since it's supposed to be UConn's and Diaco's calling card. In the past we've had a defense that you could reasonably count on to produce turnovers and big game-swinging plays. Maybe that's not the design of Diaco's defense. But without an offense that can reliably put up 30-ish points a game, a defense that's merely adequate but still prone to give up big plays isn't good enough.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is OP the same tool who got in BL's face for calling Diaco "whacky"? LOL even our trolls are crappy tonight.

Reaction Score
Holy $#!t! That was close!

There are not enough crows in Connecticut for all of us to eat one. We would have had to moved on to pigeons...

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Listen App. state is tied with Tennessee .... Games line this happen. Maine is a tough team in the toughest FCS division.. We have work to do but a win is a win....

Reaction Score
Diaco, no. Stupid. The OC is on thin ice. That ridiculously predictable offensive scheme won't get us more than 2 or 3 FBS wins.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Diaco, no. Stupid. The OC is on thin ice. That ridiculously predictable offensive scheme won't get us more than 2 or 3 FBS wins.

Are we all the sudden worse than last year?

Reaction Score
The d line got pressure maybe once or twice all game. They sucked. And the oline only started to open holes late in the game when ME d was exhausted. That and the overall game management are two biggest concerns

There were a lot of Maine WR wide open all night. Their QB was very very good for the most part until he missed that 2-10 pass late.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Listen App. state is tied with Tennessee .... Games line this happen. Maine is a tough team in the toughest FCS division.. We have work to do but a win is a win....

Appalachian State is an FBS team, Maine is an FCS team. Apart from that, there is a world of difference between the two programs. Ap State would wipe the floor with Maine and beat them like a baby harp seal. Ap State belongs on the field with almost any team. Maine doesn't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am not going to slit my wrists off one brutal game, and it was really, really brutal. I am also not going to make excuses for the program or Diaco.

One caveat on Maine vs. App State. App State's big 2007 win over Michigan is pretty long in the tooth now. For what it is worth, Maine beat Mississippi State in 2004. And while I would agree that App State is not Maine, we are not Tennessee. These games do happen.

Reaction Score
Welcome to this board!

During the game, I was actually thinking of how the hockey team would be harassed in the Hockey East by Maine, but just remembered the other ex-Yankee Conference foes would have done the same. And probably still will.

There better be a turnaround (as in actually improve) or heads shall roll. Lots of pressure on the athletic department to get football right.

Reaction Score
Our effort sucked last night. We won, coming off our first bowl eligibility since Edsall left.

God, some of you are such drama queens.

Reaction Score
Are we all the sudden worse than last year?
I don't know if we're worse but the approach to the game was. It appeared there was no creativity or thoughtful approach on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps they didn't want to show too much for the upcoming opponents and decided to just try and run over Maine and win that way. If that's the case, fine, but that only exposed what appear to be some significant questions on the O-Line. The offensive game plan has to improve moving forward because run run pass/qb scramble isn't going to lead to success. Maine knew what was coming on most plays and was able to stop it with some level of consistency. If an FCS team is scooping our approach and stopping it with regularity, FBS teams will only be better at that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I am not going to slit my wrists off one brutal game, and it was really, really brutal. I am also not going to make excuses for the program or Diaco.

One caveat on Maine vs. App State. App State's big 2007 win over Michigan is pretty long in the tooth now. For what it is worth, Maine beat Mississippi State in 2004. And while I would agree that App State is not Maine, we are not Tennessee. These games do happen.

It's not worth much of anything. You cite a game in 2007 as too long ago to matter, and then you cite a game from three years earlier than that one to prove that Maine is what, perhaps some kind of top level FCS program? They were 3-8 last season and their head coach moved on.

Ap State would murder Maine, now, 10 years ago, whenever.

These games only happen if your coaching staff allows them to happen, by implementing a piss poor offensive and defensive gameplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom