The Next Head Coach | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After reading more about Tom Herman, the guy has had success everywhere he's been. Even though he's young (38), it sounds like the offense he implements performs really well on the field and with his youth he'd definitely be a coach players can relate to, rally behind, and would be motivated to succeed and sell the program in all facets.

Only problem I see is he literally JUST got to Ohio State as the OC/QB coach and has only had 1 season under Meyer so the timing may not be right for him to make a move right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Herman_(American_football)

Reaction Score
What's interesting to me, is that as I follow media reports, UCONN, in Sept 2013, on the surface so far, seems to be a much more desireable job than it was a little over 2 years ago in January 2011. That's a nice unexpected surprise given all that's happened.

We all knew what we had in 2011, but I think now, for whatever reason, a lot more people realize just what we have to play with here, and while it's a completely different and unconventional situation with the stadium far from campus, it's not too shabby.

That - and a lot of people watched our current players give Michigan a ride for their money, and if we had a simple offensive output of any kind.....I think we are a desireable place for a coach to go now.

Reaction Score
It's all about recruiting man. Who would be the best guy to attract kids to come here.

The disappointing thing is that we seem to have recruited slightly better than under RE. More kids with multiple offers etc. I expected that to translate better this year. Obviously I was wrong.

Reaction Score
It was purely jest, but after seeing names such as Kiffin, Tressel and Petrino i figured we may as well go for those guys too. UCONN does not need those disgraced coaches for their program. My real choices would be Ambrose, Narduzzi and Weist, who could be another KO.
Yawn! Get somebody who will break all ties with Connecticut and its lackluster approach on offense.

Reaction Score
It's all about recruiting man. Who would be the best guy to attract kids to come here.

The disappointing thing is that we seem to have recruited slightly better than under RE. More kids with multiple offers etc. I expected that to translate better this year. Obviously I was wrong.

If it is all about recruiting, would this guy make any sense? I doubt he would leave his current job, especially as KC is undefeated so far, but who knows? Maybe he has the heart of a Husky?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dorsey_(American_football)

Reaction Score
Again - opinion. I'm sure every other coach out there would be a success at a program that has had a reduction in scholarships than he had. Not a level playing field so one can assume they would not be as successful at USC.
With the state of the program we can't afford another whiff... This numnut is batting a gigantic o-fer and having a man crush on him because of his name could be the death knell of the program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The last thing we need is a stepping stone coach. Calhoun wasn't one and Auriemma isn't either. We need someone solid like them.
I know Connecticut was intended as stepping stone for Geno. Don't know for sure with Jim but it would not surprise me. Once they got here they found that they could build something special. Get the best guy we can in the door and let that opportunity speak for itself.

Reaction Score
Interesting discussion w/ a passing unflattering poke @ UConn: http://college-football.si.com/2013/10/02/read-option-unproven-coaches/

>>MR: So where do you think Kiffin ends up? Will any school take a flyer on him and hope that the bravado and headlines are enough to make a reeling team relevant? Or is his star so faded that he won’t get another shot and he’ll end up as an offensive coordinator in the NFL again (where we know failed coaches get put through the bath and sold off as certified pre-owned football minds)?

ZE: I don’t see Kiffin landing another big-time head-coaching gig any time soon, at least until he’s proven himself. I’d be interested to see if a school along the lines of UConn, or some place like that, takes a shot on him. Despite his USC struggles, he would still provide an immediate spark from day one. Now, does Kiffin lower himself to the level of a smaller head-coaching gig? Or does he do what you suggest and go the offensive coordinator route, perhaps in the NFL? Either way, I don’t think he’s unemployed at the start of next season. What’s your guess?<<

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I know Connecticut was intended as stepping stone for Geno. Don't know for sure with Jim but it would surprise me. Once they got here they found that they could build something special. Get the best guy we can in the door and let that opportunity speak for itself.

Calhoun came awfully close to going to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I know it's a long shot, but Bo Pelini might be gone from Nebraska by the end of the year...

Sean McDonnell - New Hampshire HC
Brent Pease - Florida OC
Mike Bobo - Georgia OC
Mike Bloomgren - Stanford OC
Andy Coen - Fordham HC
Clint Conque - Central Arkansas HC
Jeff Monken - Georgia Southern HC
Rob Broadway - North Carolina A&T HC

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I will give the benefit of the doubt to any coach selected who has not:
1) Been fired from his most recent position at any level.
2) Currently working in the NFL without recent NCAA success at the HC level in terms of both record and recruits (i.e. only 1 or 2 years removed).
3) achieved an age greater than 50.
4) Embarrassed his employer at any point in his career

This disqualifies Coaches Pelini, Mangini, Schiano, Kiffin, Tressel, Petrino, McDaniel, Weis, Gill, Ryan...you get the picture.

Reaction Score
Given that the season is one third over...I think the real question is who will be named the interim HC.

I'll go with one of three...in no particular order...Foley...Hughes...Weist.

You really went out on a limb there. Good job. :cool:

Reaction Score
LOL at anybody thinking that we're going to land an SEC or NFL assistant as our next coach.

I laugh almost as hard at anybody thinking an up and coming MAC or Conference USA coach would jump over to roam the sidelines here. It would be a step down for them at this point.

Are you related to the guy who drives a no cost 2 wheel motorized device?

Reaction Score
We need to get into the national discussion without the derisive laughter. That begins next week after we demolish USF. The story needs to be how we were on the verge of relevance and more before PP and GDL drove our program off the tracks. Now we are righting the ship with a dynamic new coach. I want the media to be watching to see how TJW and the new look Huskies do. The worst thing is if we win and are ignored.

Reaction Score
Bo Pelini would be interesting candidate...if he is looking for a job. No way we hire him away from Nebraska unless he is looking for a change. As far as Mack Brown goes...he should have retired after losing to Alabama in the national championship game a few years ago. I want absolutely nothing to do with him what so ever!

Reaction Score
Mack makes PP LOOK and sound like a spring chicken. Another guy whose fastball is long gone. If you can't dominate with the recruiting classes at UT, how would he do here? No thanks. Think young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom