The New Flopping rule | The Boneyard

The New Flopping rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Will it effect the offense and defense of the team? Specifically Nika.

Reaction Score
This rule will be applied very unevenly according to the whims of the Refs.Some refs will be stringent in the application of the rule and others will be more permissive. That's s fact of life.I believe it will slow the game down. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Any contact will disqualify a flop from being called.
Not so, sometimes it's the over reaction to minor contact both offensively and defensively

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Refs have been falling for flopping for years. Are they suddenly going to notice when it's happening in real time? Or will there have to be a review after nearly every play, to see if someone might've flopped? I consider the chances of this working out well somewhere between slim and none. And yeah, as noted above, this will most likely get applied/enforced very inconsistently.

Reaction Score
It's just another tool for biased refs to use to help whichever team they want.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I've said many times before, IMHO when an offensive player lowers their shoulder to attack in the paint and there's contact that's a foul!
Yeah no, you can lower your shoulder and attack the paint but a defensive player has a right to his or her position, you as a offensive player can't displace tht player by initiating contact, it's called an Offensive foul, you can't just bowl people over, pushing a defensive player off or hooking with you off arm/ hand is an Offensive foul, if the defensive player has position and literally falls with minimum contact or before contact is made thn it's a flop, for better understanding of this watch any ND game.

Reaction Score
Refs have been falling for flopping for years. Are they suddenly going to notice when it's happening in real time? Or will there have to be a review after nearly every play, to see if someone might've flopped? I consider the chances of this working out well somewhere between slim and none. And yeah, as noted above, this will most likely get applied/enforced very inconsistently.
It's just another tool for biased refs to use to help whichever team they want.
I could see some sort of consistency developing within conferences. But not throughout conferences. The SEC refs are mostly “ let ‘em play.” ACC refs are more tickey tacky. How will this work in?. What can you expect in out of conference games? Playoffs. Will they call it on the bigs and let it go with guards? Or the other way around!

Expect no consistency the first year.

Reaction Score
Will it effect the offense and defense of the team? Specifically Nika.
I am sure the new rule is going to impact offense and defense at some level. The key is going to be how much. Confident & aggressive players like Nika are going to keep attacking. Players, if they haven't already, are scrimmaging and programs bring in refs to see what is a call or what isn't a call. Then come the actual game, as we all know, every ref is going to see the same and either call it or ignore it. So, I think there will be some level of impact.

Reaction Score
Too much,in all sports, of trying to have perfect violation control. Deciding if a player has flopped? Really? What a crock! It's never going to be perfect , these reviews slow down the games, and,as a fan, I've gotten tired of these disruptions to the flow of games. Get rid of all reviews, accept the imperfections of refs,umps,etc, and let the games go on. Boy am I old, but it really has gotten out of control. Go back to the time when you could blame the officials for your team's loss.

Reaction Score
I could see some sort of consistency developing within conferences. But not throughout conferences. The SEC refs are mostly “ let ‘em play.” ACC refs are more tickey tacky. How will this work in?. What can you expect in out of conference games? Playoffs. Will they call it on the bigs and let it go with guards? Or the other way around!

Expect no consistency the first year.
It's a rule change that need to be made. Some teams, LSU and UCONN have it down to a science. I'll never forget the classic flop on the Henny pull-up against UCONN....never within 3 feet of Muhl and she was flat on her back as the ball went through the net on the pull-up jumper. Not picking on her. I just think it is a trademark for many teams while others never do it.

Reaction Score
And Slim was in Texas, the last I heard.

Reaction Score
Floppers will now get a warning for the first flop and get technicals for each one thereafter. I'll be curious about how tightly refs enforce the rule.
I'm afraid it will be called like pass interference in football where nobody will know if it is or isn't a flop. As long as they don't go to a monitor to check it I'm OK with it. Nothing worse than being at a game and waiting for 3 game officials to review a play. And of course at the game they don't let you see the video they're reviewing. We might riot or something.

Reaction Score
This could also hurt UConn. I think AE often loves to add a dramatic fall to a foul. I'd rather see a rule that just requires no foul to be called on the play on either team. A flopper is on the floor and no longer a use to her teammates until she gets back up. I agree with others here that this new rule will quickly be regretted as games get constantly delayed and players start to foul out on questionable fouls.

Reaction Score
NCAA basketball refs should take a page from the World Cup refs. In case you haven’t noticed, some of the futbol refs have reduced the number fouls they are calling, significantly. Obvious flops, minor pushes and feet entanglements are ignored or signaled as “play on” situations, unless the ref considers the foul was a dangerous play. When they don’t hear the ref’s whistle, It’s amazing how quickly the supposedly injured player, rolling around on the ground and grabbing a leg, stands up and runs back to the action. If you watched the women’s’ semi finals and final, the American referee did an outstanding job limiting play stoppages.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is with officials too. It seems like if there is contact but the defender doesn't go to the ground no foul is called. In my opinion it has to be a foul on the person who flopped or the offensive player. No need for a technical, just a common foul called and you either shoot or get it out of bounds. Incidentally the play that took out Azzi last year was a flop on AE and that was an expensive one for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom