"The NCAA moved quickly, per Miami's request..." | The Boneyard

"The NCAA moved quickly, per Miami's request..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's nice to see that the NCAA is so responsive when a member school needs assistance in a matter concerning a student-athlete's eligibility.

Honestly, if a herd of gorillas broke out of the Indianapolis zoo and ran around face-duck*ing the entire NCAA staff, I'd be tempted to head out there to hand the gorillas Gatorade and bananas to keep their energy up.

The Boatright and Johnson situations are obviously different, but so is the tone of the NCAA's responses. They can suck it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...aa-reinstates-miami-hurricanes-reggie-johnson

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
More than anything else, I think it highlights the problem UConn had for years because they criminally understaffed the compliance office. You can never have too many compliance officers. There's excessive bureaucracy, and there's covering your ass.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if a herd of gorillas broke out of the Indianapolis zoo and ran around face-duck*ing the entire NCAA staff, I'd be tempted to head out there to hand the gorillas Gatorade and bananas to keep their energy up.

+ Infinity.

Reaction Score
It's nice to see that the NCAA is so responsive when a member school needs assistance in a matter concerning a student-athlete's eligibility.

The Boatright and Johnson situations are obviously different, but so is the tone of the NCAA's responses. They can suck it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...aa-reinstates-miami-hurricanes-reggie-johnson

Maybe we didn't request to have it done quickly.. they probably assumed we wouldn't want Boatright back in the lineup immediately.

Or we didn't ask politely enough.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe we didn't request to have it done quickly.. they probably assumed we wouldn't want Boatright back in the lineup immediately.

Or we didn't ask politely enough.

I think you nailed it.

We forgot the 'pretty please' again.

You think we'd learn.

Reaction Score

And in related news, the NCAA NOTIFIED SCHOOLS recruiting Shabazz Muhammed that he could be breaking the rules.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basket...investigation-adidas-ucla-kentucky-recruiting

Why do I think that if we were recruiting him we wouldn't have been extended the same courtesy. We couldn't get them to talk to us about a student who was already enrolled...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Glad to see the NCAA, rushed to clear a UM player so quickly. Miami earned that right by running such a clean program. I thought they were getting the Death Penalty 6 months ago?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Wow, on paper the situations don't differ do they though

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
More than anything else, I think it highlights the problem UConn had for years because they criminally understaffed the compliance office. You can never have too many compliance officers. There's excessive bureaucracy, and there's covering your ass.
You think Miami staffed its compliance office?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Glad to see the NCAA, rushed to clear a UM player so quickly. Miami earned that right by running such a clean program. I thought they were getting the Death Penalty 6 months ago?
No they will give us the death penalty for Miami's transgressions Don't you know how it works?

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see this in Jacobs column.

Reaction Score
I thought they were getting the Death Penalty 6 months ago?

Only some crazy internet people believed that back then, and I'm not sure if even any of them believe that now. I will say that I am not sure why the NCAA moves quickly in some cases and seems to stumble aimlessly in others, but it does seem clear to me that UConn doesn't have any friends at the NCAA office and that fact is really hanging over this program right now.

Reaction Score
Only some crazy internet people believed that back then, and I'm not sure if even any of them believe that now. I will say that I am not sure why the NCAA moves quickly in some cases and seems to stumble aimlessly in others, but it does seem clear to me that UConn doesn't have any friends at the NCAA office and that fact is really hanging over this program right now.

The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in sports. They definitely favor certain schools over others, and its about time they re-evaluate how they do things before more people begin to catch on to their bull . A good lawyer could make a pretty damn good case against these hacks. UConn should stop attempting to negotiate and take these guys to court. There is a good chance they'll win.

Reaction Score
This is even worse since the school itself provided the free travel, not some AAU coach or family friend.

And Frank Haith knew nothing about this, apparently.

Reaction Score

Always thought Uconn fans were a little paranoid regarding the NCAA. I was wrong.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has a hard-on for UConn, clearly, but did the treatment of Boatright really matter? How have we done since he returned? Doesn't seem much better.

H

huskymagic

The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in sports. They definitely favor certain schools over others, and its about time they re-evaluate how they do things before more people begin to catch on to their bull . A good lawyer could make a pretty damn good case against these hacks. UConn should stop attempting to negotiate and take these guys to court. There is a good chance they'll win.

yea i already said this is as well forget talking take the matter to arbitration and we should win without a problem. They are trying to ex post facto punish us for supposed transgressions that occurred before the rules were in place. Take that to court and stick to them

Reaction Score
What a joke. When the Boatright infractions were announced I expected the NCAA to need a few days to get the facts. When it took weeks, I said, okay they had to track down the information and verify it. When they suspended Boatright, I said, well okay, there must be a rule regarding this type of infraction. Boy, am I an idiot! I did not realize that when a team is on the bubble as Miami is, they deserve a quick response with no further penalty to the school. How about the fact we were penalized twice during the season when Boatright may have been able to help the team? The NCAA should disband. They are so corrupt.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has a hard-on for UConn, clearly, but did the treatment of Boatright really matter? How have we done since he returned? Doesn't seem much better.
So you're saying even though;
A. Boatright got screwed personally and
B. UConn is either discriminated against or
C. ill-prepared to deal with NCAA or
D. all of the above
None of this matters because Jim Calhoun hurt his back and the basketball team proceeded to lose games?!

Reaction Score
What a joke. When the Boatright infractions were announced I expected the NCAA to need a few days to get the facts. When it took weeks, I said, okay they had to track down the information and verify it. When they suspended Boatright, I said, well okay, there must be a rule regarding this type of infraction. Boy, am I an idiot! I did not realize that when a team is on the bubble as Miami is, they deserve a quick response with no further penalty to the school. How about the fact we were penalized twice during the season when Boatright may have been able to help the team? The NCAA should disband. They are so corrupt.

Miami owes a big "thank you" to Joe Nocera of the NY Times. If he hadn't given national media exposure to the Boatright situation, Miami would have been treated as dismissively as UConn was.

Reaction Score

That kind of answer in court would instantly lead towards a hefty settlement in the favor of UConn.

C

Chief00

I said it was going to be bad and Emmert had a personal grudge against Calhoun and UConn and few on this board believed me. I think the fog is lifting finally now. Yes, they are out to get us. It is not a level playing field.

Reaction Score
I said it was going to be bad and Emmert had a personal grudge against Calhoun and UConn and few on this board believed me. I think the fog is lifting finally now. Yes, they are out to get us. It is not a level playing field.

UConn broke the rules and then thumbed their nose at the NCAA with the Drummond situation. No rules broken there; but deff a shot fired across the bow of the NCAA. No suprise when the NCAA gets a chance to jerk you around; they will do it. Not saying it's right. Happens in all walks of life.

Reaction Score
When Drummond decided he wanted to go to Uconn 2 days before classes started, they had 3 options:
1) Tell Drummond they can't take him.
2) Kick somebody else off the team for no reason.
3) Make someone a walk-on.

Which option should they have chosen instead? If you think there's a single coach in America that would have chosen #1, you're mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom