The National Landscape...WHO are your SLEEPERS for National CHAMPS... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The National Landscape...WHO are your SLEEPERS for National CHAMPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like that Florida pick too. Only problem is they almost have too many guards. Baylor has talent but I dont think Drew can coach at all and Quincy Miller is coming off a torn ACL. Bradley Beal is probably my favorite freshmen.

I like Villanova to have a bounce back year Wayans, Cheek, and Yarou all should have good seasons.

Also Zona and Washington have talent to make a final four. My mid major team I like is Wichita State.

Reaction Score
The addition of Adonis Thomas should be fascinating. Also the new strength and conditioning coach Frank Mastriciano is 1 of the best in the world. Pastner is a better coach then Calapari also (JMHO). An early season match up with Duke will be fun to watch in Maui. Memphis is very dangerous.
Uh, in what world is Pastner a better coach than Calipari?

Reaction Score
Is Louisville really a dark horse? I think most people expect them to be pretty good. How about Michigan State? They remind me of UConn last year, in that they are coming off a disappointing season with a great leader trying to get them back on track in Draymond Green. Tom Izzo teams are never bad two years in a row.

Reaction Score
Uh, in what world is Pastner a better coach than Calipari?
Here is the Calapari resume @ Memphis:

On August 20, 2009, the NCAA Committee on Infractions announced that Memphis must vacate all 38 wins for the 2007-2008 season as well as their appearance in the NCAA tournament. They must also return all money earned as result of playing in the Final Four and were placed on probation for three years. The penalties result from an investigation that alleged that Derrick Rose, a Chicago native, had obtained a fraudulent SAT score by allowing another person to take the test for him in Detroit, Michigan and because his brother Reggie Rose was provided nearly $1,700 in free travel and lodging with the team. Memphis appealed the penalty, but this appeal was rejected by the NCAA Committee on Infractions on March 22, 2010, forcing Memphis to take down its banner commemorating the season and adhere to all other penalties handed down.

and the young and talented Pastner:

In his first year as coach at Memphis, Pastner recruited one of the top ranked recruiting classes in division one men's basketball for the class of 2010.In 2011 Pastner led the Tigers back to the NCAA tournament for the first time in his coaching career. It could be argued the Memphis program was left for dead by Calapari. Granted Pastner is only 36 (took over @ Memphis in 2009) so any arguments elevating him above Calapari at this stage can reasonably be met with counter arguments. Pastner was named Sporting News C-USA Coach of the Year for the 2009–10 season.

If Pastner wins a National Championship before Calapari will you then give Pastner the edge? Considering what Pastner inherited @ Memphis from Calapari I think his accomplishments speak for themselves.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if they should be considered a sleeper considering they are Arizona, but they should be good this year by the time the tournament comes around.

Reaction Score
Stop it. There's no argument (at this point) that Pastner's a better coach than Calipari.

Reaction Score
I like that Florida pick too. Only problem is they almost have too many guards. Baylor has talent but I dont think Drew can coach at all and Quincy Miller is coming off a torn ACL. Bradley Beal is probably my favorite freshmen.

I like Villanova to have a bounce back year Wayans, Cheek, and Yarou all should have good seasons.

Also Zona and Washington have talent to make a final four. My mid major team I like is Wichita State.
I thought Drew did a good job in 2010 when Baylor finished 2nd in the Big 12. Pre season 2010 they were picked 10th and lost in the elite 8 to Duke. His first 4 years were terrible but he took over for Bliss after the big scandal. Rumor has it QM is fully recovered and his overall game is better because of the ACL injury. The theory being it forced him to concentrate on other aspects of his game. Nice problem to have when you are loaded in the back court. Billy Donovan will utilize all 4. Washington lost Thomas and Arizona lost a lot. Nova has some nice pieces in the back court. Nova, Washington and Zona should be considered true sleepers this year. I don't see any getting a top 4 seed so sleepers they are! Interesting to check back in March to see how these teams are doing!

Reaction Score
Michigan lost G Darius Morris who opted out as a Junior to join the NBA draft and wasn't even drafted! Even after losing him they return stud senior Tim Hardaway Jr. and a nice young center Jordan Morgan.they have a boatload of sophmores that will improve and also bring in 2 four star recruits Carlton Brundrige and Trey Burke. Last year they barely almost knocked off Duke in the second rd of the tourney. Missing Morris will hurt their chances to make it deep but u said darkhorse. Like this year 2012 will have a stud roster with Glenn Robinson Jr (4 star, 8 pf) coming in to join a already young talented team.

Reaction Score
Watching Memphis play is like watching a team playing at the local rec center. They run no plays and they jack threes. I think Pastner is learning and becoming a better coach each year. But Calapari has turned into a pretty solid coach.

Not buying that Quincy will be back and better than ever. I think it will take time for him to get fully healthy and trust his knee. Drew did a good job that one year but since then he hasn't. I worry Baylor doesn't have enough outside shooting but we will see. I am waiting for the recruiting violations to come out with them.

Reaction Score
and Tim Hardaway is only a sophomore not a senior. Played with Jeremy on the U-19 team

Reaction Score
Watching Memphis play is like watching a team playing at the local rec center. They run no plays and they jack threes. I think Pastner is learning and becoming a better coach each year. But Calapari has turned into a pretty solid coach.

Not buying that Quincy will be back and better than ever. I think it will take time for him to get fully healthy and trust his knee. Drew did a good job that one year but since then he hasn't. I worry Baylor doesn't have enough outside shooting but we will see. I am waiting for the recruiting violations to come out with them.
Which player are you focusing on for the recruiting violations? PJ3 already got "hit" and is sitting out the fist 5 of the season.

Quincy Miller...

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/quincy-miller-back

Outside shooting Brady Heslip....

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/081411aab.html

Memphis was very young last year and still almost knocked out Arizona (1 of your sleepers) in the NCAA's. Arizona won 77-75. Lamont Jones hit 2 free throws in the final secs to seal it for Arizona. So this local rec center team was dangerous last year and returns every key player plus Adonis Thomas. Pastner plays a brand of basketball the players gravitate towards hence the great recruiting. Memphis is just flat out fast and they want to have the physical capabilities to run for 40 minutes that's why the new world class trainer. Amazing points you make as usual and it should be a great season of BBALL!

Reaction Score
Is Louisville really a dark horse? I think most people expect them to be pretty good. How about Michigan State? They remind me of UConn last year, in that they are coming off a disappointing season with a great leader trying to get them back on track in Draymond Green. Tom Izzo teams are never bad two years in a row.
Izzo is a coach you can never sleep on. I can't wait to watch Branden Dawson and this recruiting class. They lose Lucas, Summers and Kebler. Roe is a nice returning vet to go along with Green. MSU returns their best 3 point shooter in Appling. Hopefully Appling can net double digits in scoring next year. True sleeper despite the big name (MSU) for next year!

Reaction Score
Doesn't look like the same QM to me. And ya Quincy, Stargell Love and Deuce Bello all have the D-one sports connection to Baylor. They tried to hire Brian Clifton to land John Wall that whole story is a shaddy one. Also don't know if you have read about Hanner Parea but that is a shady situation. Knew Quincy Millers cousin and his first choice wasn't Baylor. UK basically took Anthony Davis instead of him.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look like the same QM to me. And ya Quincy, Stargell Love and Deuce Bello all have the D-one sports connection to Baylor. They tried to hire Brian Clifton to land John Wall that whole story is a shaddy one. Also don't know if you have read about Hanner Parea but that is a shady situation. Knew Quincy Millers cousin and his first choice wasn't Baylor. UK basically took Anthony Davis instead of him.

According to Adams, "Baylor tried to railroad Hanner into not being able to make up his own mind in his choice of college, even saying verbally and in writing on multiple occasions that they would have him deported and make sure he would never go to college in the U.S. if it wasn't Baylor."

Baylor coach Scott Drew declined comment on the recruitment of Perea when reached by ESPN.com.

Adams maintains that what he describes as "numerous threats and constant manipulation" via text messaging and email from Baylor "will come out in time."

I was aware of all the details behind the Wall recruitment but not informed relating to Parea. As a matter of fact your post had me researching this issue a bit more and its connection to Baylor U. Fascinating! Are you trying to tell me this was shady? C'MON! :D:D....Just kidding obviously!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6587669

Very interesting. QM was very high on Kentucky and it doesn't surprise me that Kentucky was his first choice. Great source knowing QM's cousin! So I am drawing the conclusion you have rated Baylor as stock down for 2011/12 (not final 4 contender) and QM over hyped? Nice response...

Reaction Score
Baylor has tons of talent no doubt. I just think Quincy will need time to regain his form. Plus how do him and Perry Jones play together. Who plays point is a giant question mark. I kno Gary Franklin wants to play point but he isn't a PG. However Big 12 is down and they should make the tourney. They certainly would be a scary 7 seed so I see where people are coming from.

Reaction Score
Baylor has tons of talent no doubt. I just think Quincy will need time to regain his form. Plus how do him and Perry Jones play together. Who plays point is a giant question mark. I kno Gary Franklin wants to play point but he isn't a PG. However Big 12 is down and they should make the tourney. They certainly would be a scary 7 seed so I see where people are coming from.
The point will be by committee with Walton/Jackson/Heslip and possibly Franklin in on the action. The Jones/Miller combo and the Drummond/Oriakhi combo have the same question marks. Projecting Baylor as a #7 would be the equivalent of considering them outside the top 25 at the conclusion of the season. We will see what happens. I have Baylor as a #1 or #2 seed in Phoenix or Atlanta. Most likely a #2 behind Carolina in the Southeast (Atlanta) or a #1 out west. My guesstimate is UConn or Louisville as the #1 seed in Boston (East Regional).

Reaction Score
I would put Baylor right around 20-25. The PG situation scares me a lot. I could see losing Lacedarius Dunn helping more than it hurts.

Reaction Score
Darius Morris was drafted by the lakers in the second round
wow completely forgot I was mixed up because he left michigan because he was "promised" to be a first rd pick and dropped to the second. And with Hardaway that was a typo should of read what i wrote lol. Another good year from him and he will likely go pro as well, has great upside just like his u-19 teammate Lamb.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This year's season/tournament is going to be dominated by teams who are very strong down low. UNC, Uconn, OSU, UK et al. There's too much talent in the paint. Any Dark Horse that is coming to play has to be strong down low or I don't think they're going to break through. I'm not sold on any guard dominated squads this year (at this stage). Teams like Louisville are going to need big development from players down low (Dieng) to be true contenders imo--btw, watching him develop over the course of last year, I really like what Dieng brings to the table; just not sure if it comes together this year or not.

Note to BLUEDOG: you can edit your post instead of posting corrections. It's the little blue text to the bottom left of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom