The Morning After | The Boneyard

The Morning After

Reaction Score
First the good news, after not having played in nearly 3 weeks, we took a good team to overtime.

Chief loves the staff and players, however too often (as one poster said) we have seen the movie before. The things that need fixing, seem entrenched and on auto pilot without some devine intervention.

- Our leader in crunch time is a 38% shooter at this level whose a high shot volume type scorer. Without him you get Martin dribbling the clock out, with him you get less than a 1/3 chance of winning after you throw in our turnover tendencies. So for now we need to built up leads and keep them. A sense of urgency throughout the game until we learn how to close games out. When we get an eight point lead - let’s built it on the foul line.

- Hurley is either too stubborn or too caught up in the emotions of the game. In game adjustments are needed and this staff seems paralyzed or without a clue. The lack of any tactical move on a 8pts per game guy going off for 25 is puzzling, no meaningful help, denying of the ball, or even a zone to give a different look. Perhaps assign one guy on the staff to focus on identifying and recommending in game adjustments during timeouts. Others can too but make it someone’s responsibility.

- Sanogo or podcast Adama - the opposing coach is on tape giving you the 10-12 foot jump hook. There’s a huge % difference in your effectiveness from 5 feet vs. 10 feet. There are several ways to avoid tge 10 foot shot. Pass back out and repost. Use some screen action. Use your fouls muscling Bigs for position down low rather than aimlessly chasing guards 25 feet from the basket. The coaches may love that in practice, but not when you are sitting with 3 fouls when you should be playing. As for trying to pick up charges, let the 6-8 guys in the rotation do that. Even when done right it’s a coin flip call. We need you on the court.

- Jackson Jr, keep improving, continue to listen and doing the extra time in the gym and the upward trajectory will continue. You are a gifted passer but the next level is knowing the capability of the guy on the receiving end. Know who has good hands, vision and the mindset to expect a pass. Also, don’t be afraid to tell Coach - give me Richmond I will lock him up. Chief knows you have that ability.

Chief could go on but I will stop for now and add content as replies occur.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I’d love to hear more of what Hurley is saying during TOs - we heard Willard during a few and he was giving very clear directions to his team on how to adjust to various things occurring. It feels like that doesn’t happen in our huddles.

Reaction Score
First the good news, after not having played in nearly 3 weeks, we took a good team to overtime.

Chief loves the staff and players, however too often (as one poster said) we have seen the movie before. The things that need fixing, seem entrenched and on auto pilot without some devine intervention.

- Our leader in crunch time is a 38% shooter at this level whose a high shot volume type scorer. Without him you get Martin dribbling the clock out, with him you get less than a 1/3 chance of winning after you throw in our turnover tendencies. So for now we need to built up leads and keep them. A sense of urgency throughout the game until we learn how to close games out. When we get an eight point lead - let’s built it on the foul line.

- Hurley is either too stubborn or too caught up in the emotions of the game. In game adjustments are needed and this staff seems paralyzed or without a clue. The lack of any tactical move on a 8pts per game guy going off for 25 is puzzling, no meaningful help, denying of the ball, or even a zone to give a different look. Perhaps assign one guy on the staff to focus on identifying and recommending in game adjustments during timeouts. Others can too but make it someone’s responsibility.

- Sanogo or podcast Adama - the opposing coach is on tape giving you the 10-12 foot jump hook. There’s a huge % difference in your effectiveness from 5 feet vs. 10 feet. There are several ways to avoid tge 10 foot shot. Pass back out and repost. Use some screen action. Use your fouls muscling Bigs for position down low rather than aimlessly chasing guards 25 feet from the basket. The coaches may love that in practice, but not when you are sitting with 3 fouls when you should be playing. As for trying to pick up charges, let the 6-8 guys in the rotation do that. Even when done right it’s a coin flip call. We need you on the court.

- Jackson Jr, keep improving, continue to listen and doing the extra time in the gym and the upward trajectory will continue. You are a gifted passer but the next level is knowing the capability of the guy on the receiving end. Know who has good hands, vision and the mindset to expect a pass. Also, don’t be afraid to tell Coach - give me Richmond I will lock him up. Chief knows you have that ability.

Chief could go on but I will stop for now and add content as replies occur.
IMHO as close as the game was, I thought Willard in game coaching moves were brilliant. It was amazing how one SH player would go off in spurts then a next guy.
First Jackson, then Rhodes, then Richmond and as planned Aiken. Willard kept Aiken on the bench for quite some time until 5 minutes left in the game. Then he took over the game as instructed.
SH has several good one on one players, we don’t. In a sense you can say Hurley has done a good job of getting what he has from this team.

Reaction Score
I’d love to hear more of what Hurley is saying during TOs - we heard Willard during a few and he was giving very clear directions to his team on how to adjust to various things occurring. It feels like that doesn’t happen in our huddles.
This is a very good point. The new Depaul coach does a terrible job. His instructions are 'get rebounds' 'get good shots' and other abstract obvious comments. No explicit instructions in any of the 5-6 huddles Iv'e listened to. As a result the game goes on as before.

Reaction Score
I like “Perhaps assign one guy on the staff to focus on identifying and recommending in game adjustments during timeouts. Others can too but make it someone’s responsibility.” And add DH delegating end of the game play calls too.

While watching the time out on TV, It would be odd to see another assistant coach on the bench take command during these critical points in the game and not to see DH make the calls but who cares. If UConn wins, then that’s all that matters. I thought Murray was supposed to be the big Xs & Os guy. Possibly DH can swallow his pride a bit and let Murray take over here. A good leader can capitalize on his strengths and self-reflect on his weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Agree but a good pass is a good pass. Everybody on the team needs to be prepared to catch the ball when AJ is doing his thing.
He has all the tools to guard Richmond. The next step is staying on the ground until he needs to jump. He always tries to use his athleticism by jumping but you can’t jump on every pump fake.

Reaction Score
I like “Perhaps assign one guy on the staff to focus on identifying and recommending in game adjustments during timeouts. Others can too but make it someone’s responsibility.” And add DH delegating end of the game play calls too.

While watching the time out on TV, It would be odd to see another assistant coach on the bench take command during these critical points in the game and not to see DH make the calls but who cares. If UConn wins, then that’s all that matters. I thought Murray was supposed to be the big Xs & Os guy. Possibly DH can swallow his pride a bit and let Murray take over here. A good leader can capitalize on his strengths and self-reflect on his weaknesses.
Calhoun use to do a quick coaches huddle at the start of the timeout and adjustments could be discussed by staff and Danny could communucate to team.

Reaction Score
Agree but a good pass is a good pass. Everybody on the team needs to be prepared to catch the ball when AJ is doing his thing.
He has all the tools to guard Richmond. The next step is staying on the ground until he needs to jump. He always tries to use his athleticism by jumping but you can’t jump on every pump fake.
A good pass gets caught and leads to a score. LOL - anything else is a bad pass. You need to know your teammates strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn played a good game. Seton Hall is a very good team as well. Overall really not much to complain about. If a few more shots drop we win. The boys need to keeping working in the gym to get better and next time we win this game.

pj

Reaction Score
A good pass gets caught and leads to a score. LOL - anything else is a bad pass. You need to know your teammates strengths and weaknesses.

In games maybe, but in practice, you've got to teach your teammates to be ready for the passes.

Reaction Score
In games maybe, but in practice, you've got to teach your teammates to be ready for the passes.
True, even in games Bob Cousy would throw some stretch passes early to get guys running the break. But, of course the Celtics were a very special team then.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why do you think the networks rarely if ever have cameras and mics in the Hurley UConn huddle? There is very little value added. They didn't go into Calhoun's because it wasn't family material.
Sad to say but it is apparent.
Maybe, as time goes on, this too will be amended.

Reaction Score
Why do you think the networks rarely if ever have cameras and mics in the Hurley UConn huddle? There is very little value added. They didn't go into Calhoun's because it wasn't family material.
How about maybe they need to get the coaches permission to do it and DH doesn’t want the cameras in the huddle. Don’t blame him

Reaction Score
True, the language wasn’t PG rated family material. Ask Travis Knight’s parents.

Reaction Score
Fundamental stuff..Crisp/clean cuts.. Crisp/clean passes.. Head up when you're making your cuts with hands ready.. No lazy passes or cuts. Use your BB IQ to put yourself in situations to win/get open/50-50 balls..Not difficult..Starts with coaching

Reaction Score

I don't believe Hurls' huddles are family material either.

Reaction Score
Fundamental stuff..Crisp/clean cuts.. Crisp/clean passes.. Head up when you're making your cuts with hands ready.. No lazy passes or cuts. Use your BB IQ to put yourself in situations to win/get open/50-50 balls..Not difficult..Starts with coaching
Too often our guys seem to be going through the motions. Chief agrees we need more crisp, quick hitting scoring plays. Jackson Jr loves the Pistol Pete no look passes and for guys like Whaley, who sometimes struggle catching a conventional pass - that can unfortunately be too tall a ask. Sanogo has good hands and better vision awareness of the incoming pass. So while it would be great if everyone had that, they don’t in reality and Jackson Jr needs to adjust his passing to that reality. More touch and less zip for passes to Isiah and perhaps not in traffic.

Reaction Score
Excellent post by Chief -- hits all the nails right on the head. You could have gone on, and I wish you did.

Reaction Score
Good post, chief. I remember the days when Khalid El Amin and Richard Hamilton would look at each other with 2 minutes to go and say it is winning time. They would then play to win and the difference was obvious. Currently we don't have anyone who understands "winning time" including our coaching staff. I think Hurley has done a very good job recruiting but not so good coaching. At least so far. Some of our players haven't gotten much better (Polley, Gaffney) and cannot play defense. One of the things I liked about Calhoun was he always seemed to over achieve. Kevin Ollie was good at it too although he couldn't recruit. Hurley hasn't figured it out yet. Hopefully he will soon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Solid post, agree on key points. Will add, Seton Hall is a very experienced team. Loads of grad students, junior and seniors in key roles.

Sanogo needs to know they are pushing him out and not take the long hook. He's not Kareem. I'd like to see him with a few more face up shots, he should be drawing more fouls. He doesn't get foul calls on the baby hooks. He would if he just attacked the glass.

As for Jackson's passes, it's partly on him and partly on the team needing to expect the unexpected when he has the ball. There is room for improvement in the passes and the readiness.

I've griped about Hurley's defensive adjustments for 3 years now. I don't think I've ever seen a more stubborn coach at this level. I don't get it. Most good college teams and NBA teams are playing soft semi-zone with their center on a regular basis. Man inside a certain radius from the rim, but not outside it. Vary the radius based on the player's ability to recover. Embiid ranges pretty far, but even he isn't doing what we ask guys with less recovery ability to do. Obiagu was certainly staying within a short radius and it impacted UConn's scoring inside all game. It's madness.

Cole has to stay on the floor and watch the fouls. I know he had a tough matchup, but again the lack of defensive help was an issue. Aiken is slick with the ball and doubles would help. I'll add again, pulling the 5 from the paint causes these one on one situations for our perimeter players and leads to more fouls.

Martin had a bad game. He's been a rock, so let's hope it was a one game thing and he finds himself again. I don't like that his wrist is still taped/braced. He had problems catching the ball, and that's new.

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread that being off for 17 days we played very well. However it does not explain our lapses at the end of games. @Chief00 you made a great point in regards to dumping it down to Sanogo and passing it back out to repost. This also makes the defense collapse down low to where the ball is and can either get a shot closer to the basket or it can be kicked out again for a better outside side shot.

Reaction Score
Cole has to stay on the floor and watch the fouls. I know he had a tough matchup, but again the lack of defensive help was an issue. Aiken is slick with the ball and doubles would help. I'll add again, pulling the 5 from the paint causes these one on one situations for our perimeter players and leads to more fouls.
I just don't know how much more we can ask from RJ. He must be so spent playing the other teams best guard on D, then command the ball to run our offense. Aiken will be a handful for anyone late in the game one on one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just don't know how much more we can ask from RJ. He must be so spent playing the other teams best guard on D, then command the ball to run our offense. Aiken will be a handful for anyone late in the game one on one.

I agree. So give him some help on D by keeping a shot blocker in the paint. He's a short guard, he's going to struggle defending in the paint. Same with Gillespie last year. A big needs to be there to force that ball back outside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom