The Mid-range game | The Boneyard

The Mid-range game

Reaction Score
There's so many ways to approach UConn's distinctiveness, but the mid-range game is one way to see it. Lynne Roberts follows analytics that tell her it's 3s or layups, nothing in between. Geno doesn't design his offense for that. Why not?

We've seen lots of great guards who slash to the rim, score the layup and draw the foul. Caitlin (as a freshman), Taniya Latson, Deja Kelly, and many more. In the end, I think it's a losing strategy for a team even though it seems advantageous as a tactic. The advantage is you get easier baskets (depending on the guard) and you get the opposing team in foul trouble. The disadvantage is that you slow down the game with all the free throws.

If you have a guard who has a great midrange shot, you get the two points, but you don't get the foul and the free throws. But you keep the game moving. UConn is famous for going on runs, and these runs are thrilling for the fans and demoralizing for the opposing team, who can't catch their breath unless their coach burns a timeout.

This is what the midrange game gets Geno, and he seems to have calculated that it's a much bigger advantage than the analytic approach. This is why he likes having players with well-developed midrange shots, like Paige, of course, but also Azzi, and Ash, and Evina, and Christyn, and many more over the years.

Geno favors the all purpose 6' (more or less) athletic types who can play several positions and can keep running longer than their opponents. These are the other side of the midrange game. If you want to make the game a track meet, you have to be able to run longer than your opponents. Of course, Geno also likes perimeter talent and great post moves. But the midrange talent is a signature component of his vision for the game.

Reaction Score
There's so many ways to approach UConn's distinctiveness, but the mid-range game is one way to see it. Lynne Roberts follows analytics that tell her it's 3s or layups, nothing in between. Geno doesn't design his offense for that. Why not?

We've seen lots of great guards who slash to the rim, score the layup and draw the foul. Caitlin (as a freshman), Taniya Latson, Deja Kelly, and many more. In the end, I think it's a losing strategy for a team even though it seems advantageous as a tactic. The advantage is you get easier baskets (depending on the guard) and you get the opposing team in foul trouble. The disadvantage is that you slow down the game with all the free throws.

If you have a guard who has a great midrange shot, you get the two points, but you don't get the foul and the free throws. But you keep the game moving. UConn is famous for going on runs, and these runs are thrilling for the fans and demoralizing for the opposing team, who can't catch their breath unless their coach burns a timeout.

This is what the midrange game gets Geno, and he seems to have calculated that it's a much bigger advantage than the analytic approach. This is why he likes having players with well-developed midrange shots, like Paige, of course, but also Azzi, and Ash, and Evina, and Christyn, and many more over the years.

Geno favors the all purpose 6' (more or less) athletic types who can play several positions and can keep running longer than their opponents. These are the other side of the midrange game. If you want to make the game a track meet, you have to be able to run longer than your opponents. Of course, Geno also likes perimeter talent and great post moves. But the midrange talent is a signature component of his vision for the game.
Even though it has not yet emerged as a dominant part of her game, ASH has an amazing mid range jump shot. In HS, she often played under the basket ( or so it appeared ) and she used a " step back " jump shot to score over much taller defenders. To my eye, she practically never missed, and the shot was not defensible. Haven't seen it much at UCONN. We have seen bit of it when she pump fakes a three, eludes an onrushing defender, takes a step or two around the defender toward the hoop, and then pulls up and drains the two pointer. She is one amazing player. Indiana HS. basketball.

Reaction Score
If UConn can play even on the boards plus TO they will be hard to beat. They are not a great 3 point shooting team but they have players that can shoot them and can be streaky. Lately they have done a better job on the boards and if that trend continues I like their chances.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing inherently wrong with the mid range. And any team looking to win deep in a playoffs or tournament has a player who can score from anywhere. Paige’s little get to the foul line and pull up for two is perfect. That’s always going to translate. It’s the 16 ft to 22 ft that is one of the more inefficient shots one can take. That’s the shot everyone is eliminating. Up to 16 feet cool, but why shoot stepping inside the 3pt line for two when you can step back to 23 feet and get 3 points? That long jumper just isn’t really worth it. It’s all about points per possession. You have to be much more elite at shooting the midrange then you have to be at shooting 3’s or getting to the line.

Now I’m no advocate for one type of basketball over another. I just love the game. And I do miss the variety the nba had with coach systems and different types of play vs one style being streamlined. The thing is what’s the most advantageous shot a player can make? It’s at the rim or at the line. And the 3 ball gives you the most points. So I don’t think we should give props to midrange shooting because the game keeps moving. That just sounds like not adapting. one example, Breanna Stewart (my favorite player since she really got me into the game) took 19 percent of her total shots from 3pt range And shot 42 percent from that distance. phenomenal for a 6’4 forward at the time. Now with the liberty? 35 percent of her shots are from 3 point range. College is always going to be a bit of a different beast than the pros and that’s okay. We still need that variety somewhere.

Last point, if herhoopstats.com can be trusted, Paige has the exact same ppp as senior Stewie at 1.19. They both shot 60% from just 2pt range! And Paige is only 5’11. Now Clarke is not as efficient and her ppp is 1.04. So how is she just under Paige when it comes to true shooting? Cuz she scores three more three pointers a game and scores 3 more free throws a game on a better percentage. 49 percent of her points this season are from 3pters. So yea the midrange is great, but there is clearly something about getting the play at the rim, getting to the line, and shooting your 3pters.

Reaction Score
Iriafen is destined to have an outstanding career in the W, more successful than her more heralded cry baby teammate

Reaction Score
Iriafen is destined to have an outstanding career in the W, more successful than her more heralded cry baby teammate
I’m sooo impressed with Iriafen! If I could choose any one player from the field to join UConn, it would be her. She is about as good as it gets in my book!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom