The Mental Place You Have To Go To Keep Using The Wildcat | The Boneyard

The Mental Place You Have To Go To Keep Using The Wildcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I legitimately think PP and GDL might have mental issues. How can they think this thing works?How do they see it making the offense any better? They put it in AFTER VERY SUCCESSFUL passing plays. And it never does anything. It "works" 1 out of every 10 times. It single-handedly destroys momentum and field position on the other 9 occasions.

They have an OL that can't pass protect in the shotgun, and you are asking them to run block in a scheme where the person with the ball is not predetermined in the play call. Why do you think that's a good idea? How do you get to a point mentally where you actually think this is working, helping, or a benefit to anyone but the defense?

It's been ditched. By everyone. NFL, NCAAF, CFL, Arena League. Nobody uses the wildcat. Even teams that were able to use it for halfway decent plays. UConn hasn't even reached the bar of a Dolphins team. Do they think that they're smarter than every other coach in the sport? How can they operate five years behind the rest of the sport? Does this mean that in 2017 they're going to try and get a mobile QB because Texas A&M and Baylor have found success with them the last couple of years? Is this a five-year delay for them to catch up by reading USA Today Sports Weekly to learn about newfangled ideas?

PP and GDL need to do themselves a favor and get on the first plane to Denver and speak with the HC at the Colorado School of Mines, an offensive genius whose plays have revolutionized creative offensive play, implemented at the BCS level. USA Today had a great piece on him this week. The guy is a miracle worker.

On second thought, screw that. That's not what PP and GDL need to do. What they need to do is .

I don't care how many hours they spend on tape. I really don't. It doesn't matter. I'm sure Greg Robinson spent a ton of hours watching tape at Syracuse and that Mike Locksley did the same at New Mexico State. Watching 100 hours of tape a week doesn't mean when you go out every week doing the same dumb getting the same outcome and then wondering why the hell you aren't improving.

I dare anyone in the media trying to defend this, to try and say "it isn't that bad" or "they need more time" or "you can't fire a coach after 2 years" to really say this is anything other than a complete unmitigated disaster. It isn't working. It isn't going to work. It's a failure. And it's boring. Sweet Mary, is it boring. I literally sat there for 2 hours (at least they're so that the games go quick) and did not care one iota what the outcome was.

There is no passion for me because there is nothing to be passionate about anymore. There's no hope. What are we?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
5 carries for 33 yds (6.6 per carry) and a sure TD if not for a dropped pass (and Gus cruz hands to the face). Wildcat is not your enemy tonight.

zls44

Reaction Score
5 carries for 33 yds (6.6 per carry) and a sure TD if not for a dropped pass (and Gus cruz hands to the face). Wildcat is not your enemy tonight.

Skewed by one run. Really really skewed.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Skewed by one run. Really really skewed.
So should we apply that logic to all offensive plays? Take away the positive plays from all other sets and you're left with only the bad. Averages are the only fair assessment.

zls44

Reaction Score
So should we apply that logic to all offensive plays? Take away the positive plays from all other sets and you're left with only the bad. Averages are the only fair assessment.

I think it was one of two total plays this year where they got a really big play out of the Wildcat. The rate of return is appalling.

How many times have they put Whitmer in the shotgun and gotten good plays out of it? How many times have they let him just be a quarterback without needing to worry is he in or out of the game, or which OL is going to make him lose another organ by not even trying to block? I bet it's a hell of a lot more than TWO.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I think it was one of two total plays this year where they got a really big play out of the Wildcat. The rate of return is appalling.

How many times have they put Whitmer in the shotgun and gotten good plays out of it? How many times have they let him just be a quarterback without needing to worry is he in or out of the game, or which OL is going to make him lose another organ by not even trying to block? I bet it's a hell of a lot more than TWO.
Which has nothing to do with my point that the wildcat was effective tonight and about the last thing you should be concerned about tonight.

zls44

Reaction Score
Which has nothing to do with my point that the wildcat was effective tonight and about the last thing you should be concerned about tonight.

My other concern is finding a Husky blue DeLorean for Chris Alt.

Reaction Score
Don't necessarily agree; I think the median gain should be used. If you run a play 10 times, 9 times for 0 gain and 1 time for 35 yards gained I would not call that play a success. Averaging 3.5 yds is moderately successful, but does not paint the true picture.

Now I didn't see the game so I don't know what the case is; I'm just stating an opinion on using avg/play as a measuring stick.

pj

Reaction Score
You can't just look at average yardage, you also have to look at the variance. Low variance is good. To have 1 play that goes for 26 and 5 that go for 1 each is bad, because that's one first down followed by a 3-and-out and the opponent gets the ball. If you could do six plays of 5 yards each, that would be awesome, it would be 3 first downs and you'd still have it first and ten.

The wildcat has been a failure, even if it produces 26 yard gains one time in six, which it doesn't.

Reaction Score
A play after the wildcat got us the big gain there was a bad snap to Whitmer that killed the drive. I'm sure the constant change in QBs did not help.

Insanity = doing the same things over, but expecting a different result. PP and GDL are insane!

Reaction Score
The Wildcat is a major problem. It seems to get inserted a lot after a big gain.

CAHusky,

We are having an issue scoring touchdowns. Everything isn't working. The Wildcat is part of everything.

Reaction Score
A play after the wildcat got us the big gain there was a bad snap to Whitmer that killed the drive. I'm sure the constant change in QBs did not help.

Insanity = doing the same things over, but expecting a different result. PP and GDL are insane!

Leads me to believe they are incapable of coming up with something that works.

Reaction Score

Yes, when 20% of the sample comes from one instance. It's an anomaly. 80% of the time it was a failure. Would you bet money where you have a 20% chance of success? Apply that to the stocks and you will lose money fast.

Reaction Score
My sense of DeLeone's offense is that it is just a bunch of plays. There seems to be very little by way of a bigger picture. He doesn't have a broad strategy. He just sort of calls plays tht don't relate to each other, don't set up others, don't consistently take advantage of defneses.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My sense of DeLeone's offense is that it is just a bunch of plays. There seems to be very little by way of a bigger picture. He doesn't have a broad strategy. He just sort of calls plays tht don't relate to each other, don't set up others, don't consistently take advantage of defneses.
Nailed it!

Reaction Score
Who is Chris alt?
Chris Alt ----Adjunct Professor in the Brandeis International Business School. Chris is a senior investment consultant with over 15 years experience in institutional asset management. He is also a recognized expert on buy-out clauses in employment contracts and was the consultant to Jeff Hathaway during the Pasqualoni negotiations.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Every fcking time. Nice gain in the passing game? Bring in the wildcat and run it into the line for 1 yard.

I'm just like beside myself here with this (lack of) logic. I have no idea what they could possibly even be thinking.

The use of the wildcat and when it's being used is just absolutely mind numbing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple of times on long USF drives, after a big play they would get up to the line to run something before we could get fully set and attempt another long pass (it worked a few times).

We should have taken a page out of their playbook (which I am convinced cannot wallpaper many rooms) and tried something similar. instead, we go out of our way to guarantee a second and long almost immediately after we have a big play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom