The Mandalorian | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Mandalorian

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get that there's a lot of backlash toward Rey. But Lucas takes the cake on bad writing. The horrid romance between Padme and Anakin, the mind numbingly dumb dialogue, the totally unbelievable "Anakin turns evil but Palpatine tricked/manipulated him into it." There were some good actors like Portman, MGregor and Neeson, but they didn't have much to work with.

This is why I think the sequels are better. They were at least executed and written competently. Their failure is that they were searching for a story to tell and didn't really have one. So they ripped off New Hope and then made it up on the way. The prequels had a absolutely fantastic story to tell, and through utter incompetence failed at it. The writing was among the worst ever. The casting of Anakin, both of them, was awful. They took what was worst about Return of the Jedi and made that the focus.

Mandalorian is the opposite. Slowly exploring the story and developing characters. I'm looking forward to the other shows.

Reaction Score
This is why I think the sequels are better. They were at least executed and written competently. Their failure is that they were searching for a story to tell and didn't really have one. So they ripped off New Hope and then made it up on the way. The prequels had a absolutely fantastic story to tell, and through utter incompetence failed at it. The writing was among the worst ever. The casting of Anakin, both of them, was awful. They took what was worst about Return of the Jedi and made that the focus.

Mandalorian is the opposite. Slowly exploring the story and developing characters. I'm looking forward to the other shows.
The prequels did give us Clone Wars though and through Clone Wars we have The Mandolorian.

I also believe midichlorians, for better or worse, have been in Lucas' script for Star Wars all the way back to the Journal of the Whills. They just showed-up in Phantom first.

My biggest hang-up with the sequels is how Disney treated what came before it. Yes, some of the books post ROTJ before Disney were not good, but, Zahn basically saved Star Wars in the early 1990's after Star Wars was off of everyone's radar for a decade. At the very least, his Thrawn trilogy should, including Thrawn and Jade, should have been kept in cannon. Second, of course, is have a freaking plot and story to tell from beginning to end. Don't have 2 different directors with 2 separate stories that ignore each other followed by a 3 story that somehow tries to tie it all together like humpty dumpty. Disney did it with Avengers. Why could they not do the same with Star Wars?

Reaction Score
I get that there's a lot of backlash toward Rey. But Lucas takes the cake on bad writing. The horrid romance between Padme and Anakin, the mind numbingly dumb dialogue, the totally unbelievable "Anakin turns evil but Palpatine tricked/manipulated him into it." There were some good actors like Portman, MGregor and Neeson, but they didn't have much to work with.
So the shoehorned love interest between Rey and Kylo made more sense to you?

what’s so unbelievable about a young vulnerable mind being swayed by a sith lord? Is that any more believable than said Sith Lord coming back after being blown up twice?

Awful start for you

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So the shoehorned love interest between Rey and Kylo made more sense to you?
At least they were peers. How about the ick factor of Padme and Anakin? He was what, about 8 in episode one and she was in her 20s? Next thing you know the actors are around the same age and they're hooking up. That's pretty weird. Down here on earth we usually refer to that as grooming and it has all kinds of negative connotations.

edit--almost every love interest shoehorned into an action movie is forced and nonsensical if we're being honest, so Rey and Kylo were par for the course, but not as cringy as Padme and Anakin

Reaction Score
At least they were peers. How about the ick factor of Padme and Anakin? He was what, about 8 in episode one and she was in her 20s? Next thing you know the actors are around the same age and they're hooking up. That's pretty weird. Down here on earth we usually refer to that as grooming and it has all kinds of negative connotations.
Officially, Padme is 5 years older than Anakin. She was 14 in Phantom and he was 9. They would be 24 and 19 respectively by the end of Clones when they married She died at the age of 27 while Darth Vader was born when Anakin was 22.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Officially, Padme is 5 years older than Anakin. She was 14 in Phantom and he was 9. They would be 24 and 19 respectively by the end of Clones when they married She died at the age of 27 while Darth Vader was born when Anakin was 22.
Huh. I'm assuming that's from books, because the movies never give ages as far as I'm aware. I looked up the actors, Portman is 8 years older than the kid who played Anakin in the first one, although the gap seemed much bigger than that. Portman and Christiansen are the same age. That's just a horrible job of casting all the way around as far as that goes.

Still, if someone 14 years old is hanging around someone 5 years younger and then they start dating eventually, that's raising some eyebrows on planet earth.

Yeah, Portman was supposed to be a 14 year old in episode 1? Nope, that's just ridiculous they tried to pull that off.

Reaction Score

edit--almost every love interest shoehorned into an action movie is forced and nonsensical if we're being honest, so Rey and Kylo were par for the course, but not as cringy as Padme and Anakin
So that has nothing to do with execution, just the choice of actors. So fictional Padme was max in her mid 20s when anakin became an adult. Wow.

Its truly hilarious you’re trying to use a good concept/meh execution as a whatabout argument against bad concept/bad execution. That’s how you know you’re on a hill you’re only gonna die on.

Reaction Score
Huh. I'm assuming that's from books, because the movies never give ages as far as I'm aware. I looked up the actors, Portman is 8 years older than the kid who played Anakin in the first one, although the gap seemed much bigger than that. Portman and Christiansen are the same age. That's just a horrible job of casting all the way around as far as that goes.

Still, if someone 14 years old is hanging around someone 5 years younger and then they start dating eventually, that's raising some eyebrows on planet earth.

Yeah, Portman was supposed to be a 14 year old in episode 1? Nope, that's just ridiculous they tried to pull that off.
They made the explicit point that they had not seen each other in years and she barely recognized him when they reunited after his training. It’s not eyebrow raising at all. Grasp harder.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Its truly hilarious you’re trying to use a good concept/meh execution as a whatabout argument against bad concept/bad execution. That’s how you know you’re on a hill you’re only gonna die on.
You've got you're opinion, I've got mine. To me the prequels were horrid. The sequels were mostly enjoyable. There's no comparison to me. You obviously feel differently. I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me.

Reaction Score
You've got you're opinion, I've got mine. To me the prequels were horrid. The sequels were mostly enjoyable. There's no comparison to me. You obviously feel differently. I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me.
But at least you can look back on the concept of Anakin and Padme as a good concept as the catalyst of the great turn to the dark side that dominates episodes 1-6. The Kylo-Rey thing just never made sense even on paper, let alone execution, which was at least as bad as how it was executed in the prequels.

Reaction Score

They actually had ENDLESS canon material from tv, books, comics, and video games.

If you really think that “competent” describes the writing of this trilogy well, I know of a YouTube channel that has hours-long breakdowns of these movies that takes them behind the shed. These movies were absolute abominations from a writing standpoint.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They actually had ENDLESS canon material from tv, books, comics, and video games.

If you really think that “competent” describes the writing of this trilogy well, I know of a YouTube channel that has hours-long breakdowns of these movies that takes them behind the shed. These movies were absolute abominations from a writing standpoint.

The dialogue was better in the last three than in the prequels. The stories weren’t great, that’s for sure. The whole “the thing/guy we need is on this other planet” bit is just so ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The dialogue was better in the last three than in the prequels. The stories weren’t great, that’s for sure. The whole “the thing/guy we need is on this other planet” bit is just so ridiculous.
All I’m seeing ITT is canned arguments

Specific examples of port dialogue?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Did you watch them? Almost every word uttered by Anakin, and far too many by Padme. Here is a start.

This is as useless as me coming back and saying

“That’s how we’re gonna win this. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love.”

Is the worst piece of script in the entire saga and easily worse than every quirky line you can find from the first 6 movies

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is the worst piece of script in the entire saga and easily worse than every quirky line you can find from the first 6 movies
I'm still going w/ "Hold me like you did at the lake on Naboo." Hands down.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kelly Marie Tran's character was useless and shouldn't have been included in the sequels. But that character wasn't half as bad as Jar Jar.

Reaction Score
Okay let’s break this down

Why, exactly, is this such a terrible line? Explain thoroughly please

I can break down how terrible my line

But I actually think, now, that “the Jedi need to end”, uttered by Luke, may be the worst line. You can cringe at some of the lines from the prequels; but the explicit character assassination is not only awful but frankly irrational and nonsensical as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The sand quote is the worst for me. Anakin doesn't like sand.

Reaction Score
No. It doesn't require explanation.
Uh it does if this is supposed to be a serious dialogue lol because I don’t see the inherent awfulness (setting aside some cringe) of someone pleading for a moment by which they may reminisce about better, simpler times with someone they love

Reaction Score
The sand quote is the worst for me. Anakin doesn't like sand.
Can we see the sand as a possible allegory for past trauma? His freedom with the word “hate” as foreshadowing?

See there can be utility and hidden content, views into a character’s character, through certain lines, despite how clumsily they may be executed. There may be some value there in a broader arc that makes sense about a teenage Jedi growing up.

Luke Skywalker saying “Go away, leave me alone to die, the Jedi need to go extinct” is so far beyond the pale in both rationality (what’s being done to Luke’s character) and execution (what is said on film to demonstrate that change).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Uh it does if this is supposed to be a serious dialogue lol because I don’t see the inherent awfulness (setting aside some cringe) of someone pleading for a moment by which they may reminisce about better, simpler times with someone they love
Okay, fine. The line itself is clunky. The delivery was poor. The romance was awkward and unbelievable. The entire sequence w/ Padme and Ani frolicking together on Naboo was horrible. This line being a call back to that didn't come off as romantic, it was just sad. It just seemed immensely mockable, I thought everybody thought that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom