The Low Point in UConn's BCS History | The Boneyard

The Low Point in UConn's BCS History

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I have absolutely zero faith in beating any teams remaining on our schedule besides Buffalo.

Coaching, recruiting, play making. I don't even know.

Losing to a MAC team for the second straight year, while looking like a high school team on ESPN3.

Folks, unless their is a drastic change - this is the future of UConn Football.

And it kills me to say any of this, but even as an optimistic fan, this is brutal and only going to get worse.

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong.

It's the THIRD straight year we've lost to a MAC team.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Um, if things on the football don't change, there WILL be a drastic change. We have a hot shot AD leading us. Leadership made clear that failure in football is not acceptable.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Um, if things on the football don't change, there WILL be a drastic change. We have a hot shot AD leading us. Leadership made clear that failure in football is not acceptable.

I really hope you're right

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Just remember things looked low in the middle of our brightest year before we won four in a row. Some bright spots today too. Don't be so emotional guys

Reaction Score
Just remember things looked low in the middle of our brightest year before we won five* in a row. Some bright spots today too. Don't be so emotional guys

Reaction Score
I really hope you're right

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I am just repeating what leadership insinuated. They absolutely want football to grow.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We've looked fine until today. The season isn't over, but we are not winning more than 6-7 games this year.

Reaction Score
I have absolutely zero faith in beating any teams remaining on our schedule besides Buffalo.

Losing to a MAC team for the second straight year, while looking like a high school team on ESPN3.

And it kills me to say any of this, but even as an optimistic fan, this is brutal and only going to get worse.

Could be right, if they continue thinking HCPP is the right guy along with his geriatic little buddy Dele.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I must say, this isn't remotely close to our lowest day as a BCS team. Hate to say it but I expected this loss (and predicted it in the pre-season thread) but still think we end up with 7 wins for the season. All of those who complain about the "experts" who dismiss UConn because we are a Big East team turn around and dismiss Western Michigan because they are a MAC team. While they aren't a top flight team in the country, they hung with Minnesota and even Illinois for a while and I think they should do OK in the MAC this year.

I know it stings, particularly because of lost opportunities (how wide open was Davis on that deep ball???) but let's face it, our program is not top flight. It needs a lot of work. Would it benefit from a coaching change? Maybe on the OL / OC side with DeLeone but I wouldn't do much more than that.

Reaction Score
That was ugly. I do see some good things out of Whitmer so that's positive. Our WRs sucked today other than Davis. Mike Smith dropped a 4th and 10 pass. Whitmer missed a wide open Davis streaking down the sideline. Our OL did not protect Whitmer all that great and our play calling in the 1st half was piss poor.

I am also disappointed in our D. They did not dominate like they needed to. WMU QB was in rhythm and we could not get him out of it for the most game until the backup showed up.

The offense better play better. I wonder if the coaches will let Whimer make more decisions going forward. I hope second half is an indication they will let him throw more in future games.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I must say, this isn't remotely close to our lowest day as a BCS team. Hate to say it but I expected this loss (and predicted it in the pre-season thread) but still think we end up with 7 wins for the season. All of those who complain about the "experts" who dismiss UConn because we are a Big East team turn around and dismiss Western Michigan because they are a MAC team. While they aren't a top flight team in the country, they hung with Minnesota and even Illinois for a while and I think they should do OK in the MAC this year.

I know it stings, particularly because of lost opportunities (how wide open was Davis on that deep ball???) but let's face it, our program is not top flight. It needs a lot of work. Would it benefit from a coaching change? Maybe on the OL / OC side with DeLeone but I wouldn't do much more than that.

The problem with that thinking are that Illinois and Minnesota are both horrendous teams. Playing them close is nothing to be proud of.

WMU has proven that they are better than we are. That's not good. I don't think our team is that bad, and we have a shot at a minor bowl game, but we are in trouble if we can't win home games vs. Pitt and Cincy.

Reaction Score

This is a sensible post, but it doesn't sting any less. You have to win that game today. Have to. Instead we dig ourselves a 17-0, hole before we wake up. WTF

Reaction Score

Obviously I'm worried about the team AFTER Buffalo, but you and I both forget, this team hasn't even played in conference yet ;)

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The problem with that thinking are that Illinois and Minnesota are both horrendous teams. Playing them close is nothing to be proud of.

WMU has proven that they are better than we are. That's not good. I don't think our team is that bad, and we have a shot at a minor bowl game, but we are in trouble if we can't win home games vs. Pitt and Cincy.

What's your definition of horrendous? Minnesota and Illinois are horrendous teams compared to the quality that is supposed to exist in the B1G. They at least took care of business against the lower tier competition. Given how bad Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc. are this year, they both could end up bowl eligible.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that Western Michigan, for a MAC team, isn't horrendous. They are probably in the middle of the 124 FBS pack, as are we. If you expect UConn to be a Top 25 team then I can understand the disappointment but we have never really been a Top 25 team and if it was to happen, I would think it would take gradual improvement over several years. Right now, I'm hoping for improvement over last year and I'm not 100% convinced we can't do that.

Reaction Score
What's your definition of horrendous? Minnesota and Illinois are horrendous teams compared to the quality that is supposed to exist in the B1G. They at least took care of business against the lower tier competition. Given how bad Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc. are this year, they both could end up bowl eligible.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that Western Michigan, for a MAC team, isn't horrendous. They are probably in the middle of the 124 FBS pack, as are we. If you expect UConn to be a Top 25 team then I can understand the disappointment but we have never really been a Top 25 team and if it was to happen, I would think it would take gradual improvement over several years. Right now, I'm hoping for improvement over last year and I'm not 100% convinced we can't do that.

Gradual improvement?
Going from a BCS Bowl to 5-7.
To this horror show?
WTF?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the reason everyone is even more upset by the mediocrity this program shows is the fact that it's this year or bust for a year or two. Our defense is losing A LOT next year and won't be anywhere near the level our D is now (outside of today's head scratching performance). If we were going to have success it was going to be this year. Now what? Are we back to rebuilding....AGAIN??? Our offense should be a little better next year with Whitmer and Company having more experience but it's rebuilding on the D. Just a tough pill to swallow this year.

However,w e still have a full Big East slate so who knows...anything can happen

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Gradual improvement?
Going from a BCS Bowl to 5-7.
To this horror show?
WTF?

Key words: "Hoping for"

Back off the ledge. We're 2-2 and I expect to be 3-2 after next week going into conference play. As we've seen from around the conference, other than Louisville, nobody in the Big East is that intimidating. 4-3 in conference and 7-5 overall would be an improvement over last year. You need to take a step back and dial down your expectations.

And yes, I would like to see DeLorenzo in for more than a few plays at RB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The ledge is a perfectly appropriate place to be. This abomination aside, a win vs. Buffalo would actually be an improvement over last years OOC record. That fact is zero consolation when you look at what's happening on the field. Last year's team was better and blew 3 games they should have won.

Being compared unfavorably to last year's debacle is the real problem. If the fumble return for TD resulted in a 20-17 loss, you might say the QB showed enough to be hopeful about the future, but the WR were dropping balls that hit their hands, again, the line couldn't move a MAC Dline, again, and the D got beat by the same team, using the same gameplan, running the same plays, two years in a row.

It's unacceptable if we intend to keep playing at this level. I am not willing to stop construction of the BB facilities and move back to Memorial Stadium, so someone needs to be accountable for this program.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel is not a hot shot AD. He's another bad hire with zero juice out of Buffalo, hardly a sports Mecca . Until we hire proven talent and make the investments needed, we will be a glorified Yankee conference team playing 500 ball with MAC teams.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel is not a hot shot AD. He's another bad hire with zero juice out of Buffalo, hardly a sports Mecca . Until we hire proven talent and make the investments needed, we will be a glorified Yankee conference team playing 500 ball with MAC teams.

That's pretty accurate.

Reaction Score
Time for P and D to retire and go eat the early bird special at the Twin Colony Diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom