The list | The Boneyard

The list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Let me be the first to go ahead and start naming names. Nothing else to talk about by the looks of this board right? P to me has to do 3 things this fall to keep his job.

1) win 9 games. Why 9? Because our schedule this year while it has some good games has a horrible bottom half. Townson, Memphis and buffalo are must have games. It's sad to think buffalo could be a competitive game but.....we also play USF who had a brutal year last year and they are going through a mess. They should be a win. Then comes SMU and temple. These are good games considering where we stand today on paper but wins we should have if this program has anything left in the heart. P must win these 6. Then look at our other 6. There is a clear top 4 and 2 middle games. Cincy and UCF are both going to be quality games. They will be bowl teams most likely. They have the talent to be. Both of these games are on the road. One or both are wins P needs to get. Then the top 4. Rutgers, md, Michigan and Louisville. All 4 are at home. When you look at it overall. Anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment. 8 wins with the top 4 being the loses is something we can argue at point number 2.

2) the offense. What does the play calling look like? What does tjw do for the program? Does P and GDLs love life hold us back still? At 8-4 with loses to the top 4 teams we play, I believe we then have to look at where this program is heading. The offense will be a major judge of that. The first 2 years do not weight at all in Ps corner.

3) use a handkerchief in public and at games.

The list: (no order)
-hank and tjw. Both are being watched this fall.
-Kirk ferentz. Lots of rumbles out in Iowa. He fits for many reasons but the key would be TJW staying with a high energy offense to go with kirks recruiting and defense. It's a interesting potentiAl combo and we still don't know until game time what TJW has in the bag.
-Dana holgorsen. Year 3 at wvu. Last year was ruff after the party he had in year 1 on clemsons dime. Without Geno, things could get ugly for wvu in the b12 and not yet getting a full recruiting cycle to compete. He could be a Oliver luck making a statement type cut.
-Paul rhoads. A bit left field. But a name to watch at least.
-mark hudspeth. I think it's time this guy gets the chance to compete on this level with the resources BCS schools have. He gave Lville the game plan on how to go at Florida. He seems to win. Everywhere. And his teams score points.
-Chris Peterson. yea I know. He makes 1.6 a year. If we ever got a invite to a BCS league I would offer him 2.5 a year on the spot. Combine the invite and him coming to town for that paycheck and you have a monster.....otherwise this is a far fetch.
-Pete limbo. The warde special....
-Tim deruyter. Could be a sleeper or he could be living on another guys talent. I'm watching.
-Matt Campbell. Warde special number 2.
-al golden. Year 3 and he needs to splash to stay. Miami is at quite the cross road as a school.
-Justin Fuentes. A lot of chat about him being legit.
-Paul and bobby Petrino. Like father like son.
-Matt rhule. Yup.
- skip holtz. Always watching....
-Jim tressel. Dust of the ole vest? In a Kirk type situation I talked about.
-Eric mangini. Ehh
-randy edsAll. That's right. My favorite recrutier. On a serious note. Year 3 he has to win. He blew the place up and last year the injury bug made things a mess. But even the angry fans there know that the program is heading in the right direction, a feeling we don't have here with P. I'm not saying I want him back, what I am saying is if he gets canned I would give him the do job under hank along side tjw if some things fall into place this fall. Chew on that.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I pray for your sanity and health that we don't win 7 games. Because P is coming back in 2014 with 7 wins this year.

I won't begin to touch some of the lunacy regarding the list of names.

Reaction Score
Matt Campbell may be the real deal. Only 34 yrs old or so. One of the youngest head coaches. Formerly OC and featured a very exciting offense that has continued after he became HC. Outstanding knowledge of Ohio football and recruitment. Now at mid major Toledo and a move to UCONN would be a logical progression of his career. And BTW, when ever Toledo plays I always watch because their offense is so exciting. Have to admit, Toledo's defense lacks. Anyhow, a lot to like about Matt Campbell

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I pray for your sanity and health that we don't win 7 games. Because P is coming back in 2014 with 7 wins this year.

I won't begin to touch some of the lunacy regarding the list of names.

7 wins? Really? So if we beat temple, townson, USC, UCF, SMU, buffalo and Memphis you thinks that's a good season?

And please what coaches are so out there to you with what I said?

Reaction Score
Iowa wont fire ferentz due that that $17.5 mil buyout he'd be owed.

Reaction Score
7 wins? Really? So if we beat temple, townson, USC, UCF, SMU, buffalo and Memphis you thinks that's a good season?

And please what coaches are so out there to you with what I said?

Doesn't matter what I think. We win 7 games he's coming back. FWIW I don't think we come close.

Off the top of my head......other than the Edsall mention, which you probably threw in there for fun........Ferentz, Holgersen, Rhoads, Peterson, Rhule, Holtz, Tressel, and Mangini. None of these guys will be the coach here if P gets canned in Dec.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what I think. We win 7 games he's coming back. FWIW I don't think we come close.

Off the top of my head......other than the Edsall mention, which you probably threw in there for fun........Ferentz, Holgersen, Rhoads, Peterson, Rhule, Holtz, Tressel, and Mangini. None of these guys will be the coach here if P gets canned in Dec.

Why 7 games? What's the number? Why not 6 or 15? Why 7? What's the measure?

Anyway. Ok so you think P bombs this season. Fine. Then who is our next head coach? What makes you so quick to cut the list of guys I want to watch? Does warde have a guy already? Is it a money thing? Are we folding football? What is it and who?

Reaction Score
Maryland fans would gladly sit Edsall in the electric chair. Mention him on sports talk and the venom pours out of the radio.

Reaction Score
Why 7 games? What's the number? Why not 6 or 15? Why 7? What's the measure? Call Warde and ask him. But personal opinion.....7 wins against that schedule will show a move in the right direction. We won't win 7 games without a much improved offense. Again, I'm not saying what I would do (I would've canned P the day after Cincy). It's just the reality of the situation.

Anyway. Ok so you think P bombs this season. Fine. Then who is our next head coach? What makes you so quick to cut the list of guys I want to watch? Does warde have a guy already? Is it a money thing? Are we folding football? What is it and who? I have no idea who the coach will be. But it won't be one of those guys. For one.......Ferentz, Holgersen, Rhoads, Peterson, and Rhule are not getting fired and the thought of them leaving their current gigs for UConn is laughable. Yes, that includes Rhule, who is a Temple guy through and through. Holtz was fired from this conference last year and took a job at LaTech. If he comes back as HC people may burn down the Shenk. Tressel and Mangini? Why not throw in Bill Parcells as well. They just aren't going to coach here. The next HC could very well be one of the other guys you mentioned, I have no idea.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree that PP is back if he goes 7-5. I also think that it would be hard for anyone to argue against 8-4 as a successful season. There isn't a scenario where a 4-loss season isn't viewed as a positive improvement for the program (even if you say Towson, Buffalo, Temple, and Memphis, that still means we beat Michigan, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.).

None of it matters, of course, since we are going 13-0 this year...

Reaction Score
I agree that PP is back if he goes 7-5. I also think that it would be hard for anyone to argue against 8-4 as a successful season. There isn't a scenario where a 4-loss season isn't viewed as a positive improvement for the program (even if you say Towson, Buffalo, Temple, and Memphis, that still means we beat Michigan, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.).

None of it matters, of course, since we are going 13-0 this year...

If we win 8 games the only thing standing between P and AAC COY is an undefeated or 1 loss Charlie Strong.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If we win 8 games the only thing standing between P and AAC COY is an undefeated or 1 loss Charlie Strong.

Possible, but you also would have to see how teams like Memphis and Temple do. I could see either one of those two coaches as the COY with a bowl game appearance...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most Memphis teams of recent vintage wouldn't win 6 games in the CAA. They need to move from blowout losses to just drubbings.

Reaction Score
I think that P planned to be "all in" for this season. Bet the ranch that he could make a big splash this year. QB second year. O Line deeper and more experienced. I dare say that the D won't lose much. 9 wins or he is gone

Reaction Score
coach P is back for a 4th yr
if we go 2-2 vs the big four while being competitive
5-3/6-2 vs the rest of the schedule
if not, get neal browns up from Kentucky and pay him 4 times what he's making now

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the guy wins 7 he isn't going anywhere.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I completely agree with the must-wins: Towson, Buffalo, USF, SMU, Temple, SMU, Temple, Memphis. That gets us to 6. I think that, in order for us to be taken seriously, we need to split the tough road games (Cincinnati and UCF) and split the tough home games (MD, UM, UL, RU).

I'd say that 8 wins is my absolute personal minimum for P to return for 2014. I'm going to guess that we're going to drop one of the must-wins because that's what we do. I'd be willing to let it slide if we, in turn, sweep the tough road games or take 3 of 4 tough home games. But 1 loss from that dismal grouping of must-wins is my absolute personal maximum. Dropping 2 of those games is unacceptable and deserves a firing, since it would be probable that we won't make up the difference in the tough parts of our schedule.

I'm also very curious to watch the play calling progress this season. It will be a tough sell to our fanbase that GDL isn't pulling some strings still if we see the same ol' crappy runs up the middle. That said, I am sure TJW is smart enough to not empty the trick playbook when he's up over 30 points against Towson!

As for potential replacements, I'll join that conversation if we start off 1-4.

Reaction Score
UConn is in a win-win situation with regards to Coach P. If we struggle again this season (5-7 or worse or 6-6 with no signature wins), he will get fired and everyone will be happy...until we name a new coach whose hiring most are probably going to hate even more than P's.

If we have a winning season, heck, we would be going bowling and no doubt that would be an improvement. I do not think P is the answer, but I rather UConn have a winning season than a losing season so that P gets fired. Plus, even if he comes back, I really do not think there is any chance his contract gets extended. Therefore, at worst, 2 more seasons with P as coach after 2013. That said, he would not survive another losing season.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think we'll go 9-3 or 8-4

PP changed quite a bit in the last couple of years.

This is the year we'll see it come together on the offensive side and our defense isn't going to be bad. If we do better on turnovers, I think 8 wins is easily achieved.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think we'll go 9-3 or 8-4

PP changed quite a bit in the last couple of years.

This is the year we'll see it come together on the offensive side and our defense isn't going to be bad. If we do better on turnovers, I think 8 wins is easily achieved.

I don't think it will be easily achieved, but it is certainly doable. I'm on record as saying that UConn can go 5-2 before the bye and 3-2 after.

Coach TJW will be a big factor in determining this but that is how I feel today (Disclaimer: Opinion subject to change after I see actual football.)

Reaction Score
I won't be happy with less than 8 wins, but realistically I doubt P will be fired for a 7 win season. Now that we're in the AAC we really need to win at least 8 or 9 games on an annual basis. What would our bowl game even look like as a 7 win AAC team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom