The IT Girl before Caitlin: Paige; How can new Golden State franchise get her? | The Boneyard

The IT Girl before Caitlin: Paige; How can new Golden State franchise get her?

Reaction Score

The hype on Paige resurrects itself and it has began for next year.

Paige Bueckers was one of the most-talked-about names after the 2024 WNBA draft on Monday, April 15, and she wasn't even one of the recruits.

With all the mention of Caitlin Clark in the last year, it's almost easy to forget that Bueckers was the original "It Girl" of the 2020 draft class. In 2021, she won numerous awards, including the Naismith Trophy, the Wooden Award, the ESPY for Best College Athlete — Women's Sports, and the Big East Player of the Year — all as a freshman, per UConn.

Get to know Paige Bueckers before she returns to UConn for her last dance and discover why she's the internet's latest obsession.

In checking, there is no way the new Golden State Warriors' WNBA franchise can get her in the draft. I think it would be an ideal fit, if they can find a way.

Reaction Score
Ideal for Golden State perhaps but not so much for Paige. Why would she want to go to a team that will likely be a bottom dweller for years until hey can get enough good players to become a contender?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The hype on Paige resurrects itself and it has began for next year.

Paige Bueckers was one of the most-talked-about names after the 2024 WNBA draft on Monday, April 15, and she wasn't even one of the recruits.

With all the mention of Caitlin Clark in the last year, it's almost easy to forget that Bueckers was the original "It Girl" of the 2020 draft class. In 2021, she won numerous awards, including the Naismith Trophy, the Wooden Award, the ESPY for Best College Athlete — Women's Sports, and the Big East Player of the Year — all as a freshman, per UConn.

Get to know Paige Bueckers before she returns to UConn for her last dance and discover why she's the internet's latest obsession.

In checking, there is no way the new Golden State Warriors' WNBA franchise can get her in the draft. I think it would be an ideal fit, if they can find a way.

Dallas (who owns Chicago’s 2025 pick) or LA appear to be likely landing spots early on. WNBA lottery odds are based on the previous 2 years combined records among lottery teams. Barring something strange, both LA and Chicago are projected to be bottom feeders this year. Washington too has a decent shot if their season tanks as well. And if Indiana misses the playoffs for the 8th straight year they could be in the mix too to land Paige and set up a potential dynasty around Paige/Clark/Boston.

Reaction Score
Well, I've never seen anything saying Paige will not return for the 25-26 season, she has the eligibility. If she wants it is easy to avoid Frisco.
With her NIL deals she already earns more than the majority of WNBA players, she is no in a hurry to get drafted

Reaction Score
And if Indiana misses the playoffs for the 8th straight year they could be in the mix too to land Paige and set up a potential dynasty around Paige/Clark/Boston.
I would like to see Paige and Clark play together in the same WNBA team. This will be a box office jackpot.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Paige and Clark play together in the same WNBA team. This will be a box office jackpot.
I would not ever want to see Paige and Clark on the same team - and I suspect neither would the W. Why have the two stars who people will pay to see on the same team? Lot better to spread out the "gate makers" and have them face off against each other on opposing teams.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ideal for Golden State perhaps but not so much for Paige. Why would she want to go to a team that will likely be a bottom dweller for years until hey can get enough good players to become a contender?
There's little chance Paige goes to a contender. The bottom 4 teams, or so, will have the lottery and whoever has had the worst 2 season stretch has the best chance to land the #1 pick. For several years it was Indiana. Before that it was Las Vegas (getting 3 #1's in a row).

I think it would be terrific for Paige to go to a team that is building from scratch and can form a franchise around her. Plus if the new GS team gets the #1 pick several years in a row... Imagine how good they would be!

Reaction Score
I would not ever want to see Paige and Clark on the same team - and I suspect neither would the W. Why have the two stars who people will pay to see on the same team? Lot better to spread out the "gate makers" and have them face off against each other on opposing teams.
Paige, Clark & Boston on the same team? Sign me up! They also have Nylissa who is not exactly chopped liver.

Reaction Score
Owner Lacob said they guarantee breaking Seattle Storm's record of winning the title within 5 years from entry into the WNBA. You easily forget that that franchise was quite lucky to draft Lauren Jackson and then Sue Bird in consecutive years to fuel the title win in their 5th year, then another title later. And they were lucky again to draft Lloyd and then Stewie in successive years for another two titles with Bird.

Wondering how Golden State can deliver on that promise, they can start with Paige, if they can find a way. And, given the abundance of excess talent in the women's pro game, those they draft from the other teams are more talented that your usual bench players in the old days.

But they will need a good creative coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's little chance Paige goes to a contender. The bottom 4 teams, or so, will have the lottery and whoever has had the worst 2 season stretch has the best chance to land the #1 pick. For several years it was Indiana. Before that it was Las Vegas (getting 3 #1's in a row).

I think it would be terrific for Paige to go to a team that is building from scratch and can form a franchise around her. Plus if the new GS team gets the #1 pick several years in a row... Imagine how good they would be!
Indeed....see Seattle Storm's history of #1 overall picks and the four titles they have accumulated with them.

Reaction Score
Moreover, many star players in the WNBA sign short contracts, in part because of salary cap issues. This makes them more mobile than NBA counterparts, should they find it attractive to go elsewhere. Given these conditions and Golden State wanting to collect talent for championships - much like the New York Liberty now that they have new owners - if there is any way to accelerate team growth, they will go after it.

Reaction Score
Don't put it past Head Coach Cheryl Reeves of MN to swing something to acquire the #1 pick next year to bring Paige home to MN!

Reaction Score
You stated: I would not ever want to see Paige and Clark on the same team -

Does that include Team USA???

Reaction Score
There are a ton of WNBA players whose contracts are up this season. Stewie, JJ, I think everyone on the Aces except A’ja Wilson. If the new franchise hires a good coach, shows it’s investment in the team, I don’t think it will be hard to attract free agents there.

Reaction Score
Dallas (who owns Chicago’s 2025 pick) or LA appear to be likely landing spots early on. WNBA lottery odds are based on the previous 2 years combined records among lottery teams. Barring something strange, both LA and Chicago are projected to be bottom feeders this year. Washington too has a decent shot if their season tanks as well. And if Indiana misses the playoffs for the 8th straight year they could be in the mix too to land Paige and set up a potential dynasty around Paige/Clark/Boston.
Has the the WNBA announced what they are doing with the draft and a new team next year? I could imagine adding them to the lottery. Especially if they aren’t doing an expansion draft.

Reaction Score
Just saw where CC got a $20 million shoe contract, she should some of that to Paige. No POY for CC if a healthy Paige for the previous two years means less pub? Just sayin’.

Reaction Score
Is a new team the first in the draft and able to get one member of each of the other teams non protected players ?

Reaction Score
Is a new team the first in the draft and able to get one member of each of the other teams non protected players ?
I remember a while back, Commish Engelbert broke down the potential draft process. She mentioned something about the competition committee meeting and ironing out the details of how the expansion draft would unfold. To me, I figure it would be similar to the Atlanta Dream back in 2008ish, when their inaugural roster of 13 players came from the expansion draft and they and they got to select from a pool of available players from the other WNBA franchises. But who knows, the committee could change things up or keep the same process.

Reaction Score
That would be better than how the NHL hosed the Whalers when they expanded and took teams from the WHL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom