The Improbability of UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Improbability of UConn

Reaction Score
I think this is a good listen. Other than the fact that he underrates Electric Blue, I tend to agree with most of the things he’s saying. We had the ability to be a regional power, but it was very hard to believe that we’d have national relevance when we were playing at the Field House. Calhoun’s ability to recruit nationally was a game-changer.

Reaction Score
It was funny hearing him talk about going to the Civic Center for last four years of the Perno era rooting for the other team knowing that UConn would never win. He cites the fact that Perno only won 19 league games in the last four years he was there. How the hell did he last for 4 years? Or 3? Or 2?
Watching Perno’s teams was like watching paint dry. It looked like they were sleep walking, I wanted to bring them a pot of coffee!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I think this is a good listen. Other than the fact that he underrates Electric Blue, I tend to agree with most of the things he’s saying. We had the ability to be a regional power, but it was very hard to believe that we’d have national relevance when we were playing at the Field House. Calhoun’s ability to recruit nationally was a game-changer.
Yeah...about the Electric Blue...

It was raided relatively recently by the FBI and the DHS for alleged prostitution/human trafficking.

Reaction Score
Same age group as Rusillo, younger by a few - grew up near Storrs. There was not a time where we did not believe that UConn would be great. We were robbed a lot back then!

Reaction Score
Agreed - I have no idea why so many people on here are offended or think this is a backhanded compliment. If you’re at all familiar with Russillo, it’s obvious how much respect he has for what UConn has built.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One major problem back in the Perno days was that for a very large part of the fan base, every time they saw him they thought of him stealing the ball from Bill Bradley, putting us in the elite eight, which until the NIT win was the high point of UConn basketball.

I was done with him long before he was fired. He had sufficient talent (albeit not well enough conditioned and his guards were tiny) to do more in the BE than they did during Corny Thompson's time there and I was furious when we blew what should have been an insurmountable lead against St John's in the BET in Hartford my senior year in college. I believe it was 17 points at halftime with no shot clock. The lead kept melting away and Mullin hit a 20 ft shot at the buzzer with the game tied.

A few weeks later, reading the sports section of one of the publications from the middle of the state, I read an article announcing Earl Kelly signing with UConn. The author added "the best part is now Perno will have job security for four more years". I was ready to beat the #$#@ out of him for writing that.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Come on. He grew up in CT and rooted against UConn. That says a lot. Go PC and SJU!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Someone Beat GIF

QDOG5

Reaction Score

QDOG5

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Alot of truth here.

Jim Calhoun is THE best.

Well, that was a big bag and nothing. Other than hearing how his dad would make him sit as a nine-year-old out in the lobby after games while he and his buddy drank, I kind of felt for the guy. His nine-year-old recollection of Connecticut basketball missed a lot. I guess that’s understandable I think in the 8182 season Connecticut was ranked with Courtney Thompson, Mike McKay, and Chuck Aleksinas all on the team. His big knack against the Storrs campus is it can’t be seen from the highway? Did that make sense to anyone else? Yeah, he does and very tiny portion indicate Calhoun did a great job, moving the program from Regional to national success, but that’s hardly brain surgery to figure that out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I could listen to a 1979-1989 Big East non Uconn fan wax poetic about their glory days, and how Uconn passed them by...all day long.
Passed them by 1996 and never looked back. That was the last time the GTown was relevant. Them StJ and Cuse are who they pine after. The 'early" BE was a 5 year stretch from '84-'89 if you coun't Seton Hall's one good year. By the time Mr. Allen showed up in Storrs, it was mostly UConn with a smattering of other rotating contenders.

CL82

Reaction Score
The improbability is further defined by the fact that there is no analogy. As you say football doesn't work, I was thinking Quinnipiac in hockey going from close to a commuter school to hockey powerhouse, but the attention on hockey is so much less and it is a northern sport so some degree of natural advantage. Actually the only apt analog is what the women's team has done.

We can't discount the effect that Geno and the women's program has on the UConn brand and men's basketball. To have unquestionably the best EVER women's college basketball program provides ballast, legitimacy, peers and winning experiences that cannot be over-stated.
Yeah, it was pretty much the opposite. Chris Daly said in an interview that a big part of what got people into the women’s games in 1999 was the fact that the men’s games were all sold out and people wanted to go see games in Gampel Pavilion. Her words, not mine.

Reaction Score
UConn was a big state school in a conference of tiny Catholic schools. Passing them was not only probable it was inevitable.

Reaction Score
Well, that was a big bag and nothing. Other than hearing how his dad would make him sit as a nine-year-old out in the lobby after games while he and his buddy drank, I kind of felt for the guy. His nine-year-old recollection of Connecticut basketball missed a lot. I guess that’s understandable I think in the 8182 season Connecticut was ranked with Courtney Thompson, Mike McKay, and Chuck Aleksinas all on the team. His big knack against the Storrs campus is it can’t be seen from the highway? Did that make sense to anyone else? Yeah, he does and very tiny portion indicate Calhoun did a great job, moving the program from Regional to national success, but that’s hardly brain surgery to figure that out.

His monologue was intended as a compliment.

CL82

Reaction Score
The improbability is further defined by the fact that there is no analogy. As you say football doesn't work, I was thinking Quinnipiac in hockey going from close to a commuter school to hockey powerhouse, but the attention on hockey is so much less and it is a northern sport so some degree of natural advantage. Actually the only apt analog is what the women's team has done.

We can't discount the effect that Geno and the women's program has on the UConn brand and men's basketball. To have unquestionably the best EVER women's college basketball program provides ballast, legitimacy, peers and winning experiences that cannot be over-stated.
Yeah, it was pretty much the opposite. Chris Daly said in an interview that a big part of what got people into the women’s games in 1999 was the fact that the men’s games were all sold out and people wanted to go see games in Gampel Pavilion. Her words, not mine.

Reaction Score
That doesn’t capture the point unless you also contend that Geno and the players and championships only exist because more fans came circa 1999. The team’s sustained excellence is what I’m talking about helping all things UConn basketball. Of course it is not directly transitory, but can’t help but think The women having near perfect seasons or beating everyone by 30 opens the possibility for the men to then win & run thru the ncaa tournament like they just did.

And if at times, like maybe this year, the men & women switch back and forth motivating & raising each others games, creating spillover fans, then that sustains the excellence of both. For example of course the $ from the men’s game essentially built Gampel.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Massive props and respect to JC. With that said...a little history for the pups and a question. Who holds the UConn scoring record?

I enrolled at UConn in '66. Tuition was 60 bucks a semester and I got 10 bucks a week from dad for spending money. Long long time ago right? Well, guess what the coolest thing to do was? Basketball in the Field House.

We were crazy for it. Packed for every game. And we were good. It was more fun than seeing the Football team reamed at the Yale Bowl every year. Even back then Wes Bialosuknia, RIP, was vying for the national scoring title. He still holds the University of Connecticut season and career scoring average records: his 1966–67 average of 28.0 PPG ranked 5th in the nation (most of those would've been 3's). The year before we put Toby Kimball, RIP, in the pros for 10 years. UConn's always been a BBall school.

Reaction Score
It was funny hearing him talk about going to the Civic Center for last four years of the Perno era rooting for the other team knowing that UConn would never win. He cites the fact that Perno only won 19 league games in the last four years he was there. How the hell did he last for 4 years? Or 3? Or 2?
It was a tough conference in his last years and JC first .
The straw that broke the camels back was Perno last team started out 9-0 . and was supposed to be decent . However his best player got involved in a gun incident and was suspended that sealed his demise . The folks at Storrs could take losing but not guns . Remember Perno was a local kid and Huskies Hero snd the folks at Storrs weren’t exactly the most adventurous group.
This might shock you but Perno had one more conference win in his three worse seasons than Calhoun had in his first three seasons .However Dom was trending down while Calhoun we trending. up and we were optimistic of eventually making the tournament. That was our first goal
We came close in 1988-89 but a couple of heartbreakers away . The conference was brutal and a difficult place for a bottom team to move up
That’s why the dream team was so special. Coming from winning 6 conference games to Champs and missing the FF on a OT buzzer beater .

CL82

Reaction Score
That doesn’t capture the point unless you also contend that Geno and the players and championships only exist because more fans came circa 1999. The team’s sustained excellence is what I’m talking about helping all things UConn basketball. Of course it is not directly transitory, but can’t help but think The women having near perfect seasons or beating everyone by 30 opens the possibility for the men to then win & run thru the ncaa tournament like they just did.

And if at times, like maybe this year, the men & women switch back and forth motivating & raising each others games, creating spillover fans, then that sustains the excellence of both. For example of course the $ from the men’s game essentially built Gampel.
Disagree that the men’s program is somehow derivative of the women’s program and given the history of both. The men’s program was selling out well before Jim Calhoun got there. At the same time the woman’s program was playing before crowds of, maybe, 100 people.

On the other hand, the 1995 women’s team generated a ton of goodwill for the University and arguably spurred the UConn 2000 funding, which was a big jumpstart for the University and its current form.

There’s definitely synergy though of having to outstanding basketball programs at the same school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom