The highest praise ever? For a freshman, no less. | The Boneyard

The highest praise ever? For a freshman, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In Rich's article (CT Post, linked in HuskyNan's news for today), he quotes Geno praising Kia Nurse:

"She's a really, really tough kid. A really tough kid."

I recall no freshman ever hearing those words. (Or few upperclassmen, either.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I dunno - he had similar compliments for Faris her freshman year, IIRC. She was really, really tough, too. :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, and he said Faris would never play a bad game at UConn.

Reaction Score
In Rich's article (CT Post, linked in HuskyNan's news for today), he quotes Geno praising Kia Nurse:

"She's a really, really tough kid. A really tough kid."

I recall no freshman ever hearing those words. (Or few upperclassmen, either.)
Shea Ralph was one of the toughest players ever to wear a Uconn uniform. Now she's coaching Kia. Nice.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, and he said Faris would never play a bad game at UConn.
If I recall correctly, Kelly played about 5 bad games and over 140 good ones, including some great ones.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno likes Kia Nurse.

It's possible that we lost Asia Durr because we got Kia. I'm more than happy with that outcome. She has a lot to learn and improve on, but she's one of the best frosh I've seen in a while. Besides being tough, she's really smart.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As "one of the very first" (and the number grows fast around here) as a proponent of Kia, I was very happy - though not surprised- with her performance against Creighton. One of the early Boneyard dings on her was her shooting form, but I saw signs this weekend that it has become more 'classical" in form; could not believe the foul liner klanger about 2 minutes in, but she more than atoned for that. A perception that I would like more basketball savvy Boneyarders to react to: She has to get wider in her defensive stance and move better in it to the left. But yeah, I'm liking where Miss Business is going ... liking it a lot.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But is it a push shot or a jump shot?

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was the extra coaching or if Creighton cannot set good screens but she did a much better job getting around the screen last game. At Stanford she was not getting between the screener and shooter. Changing guards- I still smile remembering Kelly getting through two screeners and blocking Sky Dig's shot in the 2013 NC semi final.

Reaction Score
I would not trade Kia Nurse for any other freshman in the country including Wilson and Turner!
It's safe for me to assume that you really really like Kia :) it's ok, we all do! The kid is a hell of a player and she'll become even better!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Hey gang, I'd love to know your opinions on something. I think I see something in Kia's game that I don't recall seeing much in other players before. When she brings the ball up court, she stands closer to the vertical than others. Usually, guards seem to prefer a little more crouch in their game posture. If I am right, Kia thus uses her height to the greatest advantage. Opinions? Any one else see this?

As I have watched UConn closely for only a few years, is there a player or players in Husky history who Kia reminds you of? Why so?

Thanks for your replies!

HGN

Reaction Score
Bird , I notice that as well. I believe it's her Canadian coaching. She will eventually crouch over a little more under Geno's coaching to protect the ball more.

Crouching , or vertical, and at 6'0 she is talented ballplayer.:)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Hey gang, I'd love to know your opinions on something. I think I see something in Kia's game that I don't recall seeing much in other players before. When she brings the ball up court, she stands closer to the vertical than others. Usually, guards seem to prefer a little more crouch in their game posture. If I am right, Kia thus uses her height to the greatest advantage. Opinions? Any one else see this?

As I have watched UConn closely for only a few years, is there a player or players in Husky history who Kia reminds you of? Why so?

Thanks for your replies!
Caroline Doty because of her fearless, kind of cocky confident Demeanr!

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph was one of the toughest players ever to wear a Uconn uniform. Now she's coaching Kia. Nice.
I predict Shea will be a great coach someday.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I predict Shea will be a great coach someday.

She is already a great coach, just not yet a head coach. She not only coaches UConn guards, she recruits them. Her record, measured by any facet of job performance, speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Rocky, I concur with your points. As to the defensive posture, that's something I've noticed myself. She's long, lanky and strong, and could be taking up much more space defensively than she does. That's right up the UConn coaching staff's alley, I imagine they'll expand her defensive space rather quickly.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your replies!
Being vertical exposes the ball more, but gives better visibility. She needs to have a sense for where people are on the court to know when to crouch and when not. As savvy as she seems, she should do fine. The A/TO ratio will tell the tale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom