The Guru says.... | The Boneyard

The Guru says....

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This is a huge game for WCBB. My #1 hope is that it is a good, well played game. Hope #1A is that UConn wins.

This is VERY hard for me to say, but as far as the sport, and the rest of the country goes, the best outcome would be for ND to win. This would be a HUGE story very similar to and, I think significantly bigger than UConn v. Tenn in 1995. The recent injury to Achonwa and the "bully" talk given wide play around the country heightens the drama. It would be a WAY bigger story nationally than "UConn wins #9... [ho hum]". The real story in a UConn win would be the improbable 2nd double championship.

Of all the teams in the the Final Four, ND appears to be playing at the highest level they are capable of right now. They are incredibly motivated and are unafraid of UConn. Through the recent series of propaganda statements that would make any dictator proud, their coach has cultivated in them the simmering dislike of UConn, as well as instilling a focused sense of mission for the wounded and direspected underdog to triumph over the evil bully.

Can UConn's edge in starting 5 (+1) talent overcome this? We'll see.

GO UCONN!!!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Nah...just another game (be still, my heart).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30, to crush them so that no one ever again thinks about 7 out of 9 as anything important. I want them to know what the taste of disrespect is like.

Protect the rock, get out on breaks, hit shots and play relentless D. Above all focus and 100% effort on every play and get TLaw and Polly playing time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a huge game for WCBB. My #1 hope is that it is a good, well played game. Hope #1A is that UConn wins.

This is VERY hard for me to say, but as far as the sport, and the rest of the country goes, the best outcome would be for ND to win. This would be a HUGE story very similar to and, I think significantly bigger than UConn v. Tenn in 1995. The recent injury to Achonwa and the "bully" talk given wide play around the country heightens the drama. It would be a WAY bigger story nationally than "UConn wins #9... [ho hum]". The real story in a UConn win would be the improbable 2nd double championship.

Of all the teams in the the Final Four, ND appears to be playing at the highest level they are capable of right now. They are incredibly motivated and are unafraid of UConn. Through the recent series of propaganda statements that would make any dictator proud, their coach has cultivated in them the simmering dislike of UConn, as well as instilling a focused sense of mission for the wounded and direspected underdog to triumph over the evil bully.

Can UConn's edge in starting 5 (+1) talent overcome this? We'll see.

GO UCONN!!!
This is not Willis Reed coming out in the game 7, Notre Dame has no-one like Walt ( Clyde ) Frazier who can will them to a win. Frazier was one of the all time greats, McBride, and Loyd are good players, but no where near the type of player Walt was.

Reaction Score
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30.

Protect the rock, get out on breaks, hit shots and play relentless D. Above all focus and 100% effort on every play.
This x 10000. I couldn't care less about what's good for the game. Think George Steinbrenner cared about the game when the Yankees were winning World Series after World Series in The mid and late 90s? Or the Red Sox in the last decade? If UConn could win every game by 50 and had 5 starters that are #1 recruits it would be A-OK by me. I'd rather enjoy tonight's game for longer than the last five minutes when the win is secured.

Reaction Score
This is VERY hard for me to say, but as far as the sport, and the rest of the country goes, the best outcome would be for ND to win.

I stopped reading your post right about here. I dis-agree with you no matter how good the cause is....I wanted more than ever....So, we can shut that filthy mouth of Muffett Mcgraw. I'm so sick and tired of her imagination war against coach and UConn fan.

Reaction Score
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30, to crush them so that no one ever again think about 7 out of 9. I want them to know what the taste of disrespect is like.

Protect the rock, get out on breaks, hit shots and play relentless D. Above all focus and 100% effort on every play and get TLaw and Polly playing time.

I could not agree more, Icebear. Ever since Skylar did that little dance, when they beat us awhile back, I have wanted us to just crush Notre Dame. We played them close and lost several games until our break out game last season against them, and that was sweet. But I just hope that we have a solid game plan, come out and attack from the jump. I am talking 38 minutes( hey I want to see the bench players get some minutes :) ) of pure UConn basketball, which we know we can play. Plus we are due for a huge shooting game.

It is game on!! Let's roll, UConn

Plus my AD is a Lady Vols fan and she is praying that the Lady Irish win tonight and she is talking a lot of trash. I thought McGraw talked about of trash. My AD makes McGraw look soft.

Reaction Score
Mel Greenberg ‏@womhoopsguru 6h
The Guru declares Tuesday night's showdown most significant ever for sport topping first meeting of UConn-Tennessee in 1995.

Wo tsancheng.(Yale Romanization)

For the good of/growth of WCBB
1. This game must be competitive in the last five minutes.
2. It must be well played
3. The stars must show up
4. As a bonus, it is hoped that a heroic performance is on display

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I have to think the TV ratings for this game will be sky high, for WCBB at least.

Anyone know what the record is for Nielsen points and share, etc., for a WCBB game? (I don't know the answer.)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30, to crush them so that no one ever again think about 7 out of 9. I want them to know what the taste of disrespect is like.

I gotta join your congregation. I hope Stewie slams one and then looks for something green to punch.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I stopped reading your post right about here. I dis-agree with you no matter how good the cause is....I wanted more than ever....So, we can shut that filthy mouth of Muffett Mcgraw. I'm so sick and tired of her imagination war against coach and UConn fan.

Please don't take from this that I prefer a UConn loss. I want this win more than any I can remember. I have had butterflies since ND beat MD and after the mentook care of business, they became eagles. The contrived propaganda statements from the ND coach (I wish she had a jersey number I could use) is one of the reasons for this. I was just trying to look at things from the universe outside of Husky Nation.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30, to crush them so that no one ever again thinks about 7 out of 9. I want them to know what the taste of disrespect is like.

If I could like this 1000 times, I would. Thanks, Ice!

Reaction Score
For me the big question is: Would ND winning and having a 38-0 season finally be a bigger story than UConn losing? Then the moment would deserve comparison to 1995.

After eight national titles, four undefeated seasons, and two NCAA-record winning streaks, the fallout from these UConn-ND tilts is still more about UConn losing than ND being the next big thing in women's basketball. For a few years, the storyline revolved around the charisma of Skylar Diggins, but now she's gone.

If ND wins and the headlines tomorrow are about them going undefeated, Muffett McGraw, Kayla McBride, their notable alums (Ruth Riley et. al), the sporting tradition of ND, etc., then that would signal a turning of the tide in the rivalry. But I don't sense it. I just have a lot of confidence in this team to play poised in the clutch, and I think the men's win gives them an extra boost rather than increasing the pressure. Can't wait for tipoff!

Reaction Score
I have to think the TV ratings for this game will be sky high, for WCBB at least.

Anyone know what the record is for Nielsen points and share, etc., for a WCBB game? (I don't know the answer.)

I do not have regular season numbers, but the tournament numbers can be found on page 76 of the following link. Prepare to be shocked:
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_final4/2013/WFF13.pdf

Reaction Score
Mojo post.

This is the 13th UConn DI basketball NC game. They've won all 12. But this is #13. We are doooooomed.

Reaction Score
To follow up on Post #18, the highest rated regular season game on any of the ESPN networks is the streak ending regular season contest between UConn & Stanford in December 2010 at 1.5. The previous high was the 1.4 rating drawn by the DT give me a call UConn-Duke game in 2003. I would be very surprised if tonight's game does not draw at least a 4 given all the hype with two unbeatens and the men's stunning victory in last night's game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
I no longer want a good game I want the Huskies to blow them out by 30, to crush them so that no one ever again thinks about 7 out of 9. I want them to know what the taste of disrespect is like.

I completely agree. there's something in the OP that stinks (sorry) of giving a whiny kid a toy just to shut them up. The behaviors was nothing short of disrespectful, and I believe that what would be good for the world of women's college basketball is that UConn goes in and trounce the hell out of them.

Reaction Score
I would dearly love to see UConn win tonight by 40 points. I will be rooting uneuivocally for that outcome.

That said I think psconn is right--an ND win or a very, very close game would be good for WCBB.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It would be really good for women's basketball for all the petty junk that MM has been trumpeting to be squashed and the point be made post game that that stuff has no business being interjected into the midst of a great game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is not Willis Reed coming out in the game 7, Notre Dame has no-one like Walt ( Clyde ) Frazier who can will them to a win. Frazier was one of the all time greats, McBride, and Loyd are good players, but no where near the type of player Walt was.
But Kia Nurse IS a Walt Frazier-type player. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Mojo post.

This is the 13th UConn DI basketball NC game. They've won all 12. But this is #13. We are doooooomed.

Glad you mentioned that, Rocky. YUP, we ARE doomed, doomed, doomed! And Br'er Bear, them is 'orrible sentiments from a man of the cloth, and I couldn't have put it better myself. To h*** with this "good game" nonsense; lets have a laugher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom