The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly vs MSU | The Boneyard

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly vs MSU

Reaction Score
The Good
- Fact we were playing in the game - the win over Oregon was terrific.

- Fact that we were in the game for a half despite playing terribly on O

- Adams and Gilbert played well and Larrier shot well in 2nd half.

- Foul shooting.

- Played hard and also played very good pressure half court D for much of it.

- We are 4-1. Beat Arkansas and a 5-1 start is excellent.

The Bad
- We cannot shoot. Will kill us.

- Almost no inside game.

- I miss having one or multiple shot blockers inside.

- We have no NBA players. Great teams have multiple. Is what it is.

The Ugly
- Zero ball movement or really any offensive sets to speak of. Taking turns going one on one is painful to watch.

- Midnight start now that am moving into my semi-old timer years....

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The ball movement has to improve by a lot there is no doubt but I am not sure the pieces are there in all honesty
This is a team that can fight for a top spot in the AAC and go the the NCAA tournament. That is the goal for this team

Reaction Score
Loved the hustle in the 1st half. The second half was doomed when the ref whistled Ohuora twice in a 15 second span. The Huskies seemed to feel that they were not going to be allowed to win unless they rained 3's and thew Spartans went o'fer. At least I did. It was disappointing that they collapsed and reverted to street ball though.

Reaction Score
Agree with most but disagree with a few points.

On paper Jalen had a great game, but honestly he's not playing defense to his fullest potential. Missed a lot of assignments with weak recoveries. He should take some notes on Alterique's on ball defense. He wants to get into the league he HAS to start playing better defense. He also missed a lot of floaters and bunnies he normally makes. MSU did a great job keeping him out of rhythm when we were still "in the game."

I would also disagree that we have no NBA players, it just LOOKS like we don't at this point in the season. As the chemistry builds and the offense is polished both Jalen and Terry can and should start playing at an NBA level. They both had their moments where they looked like they belonged out there with the big guns, its just a difference of being drafted top 10 lottery and late in the 2nd round.

Lastly, your point that we almost didn't have an inside game. We had absolutely zero inside game. A big fat goose egg for FGs from our bigs, how often does that happen to teams?? I take inside game to mean plays from our bigs, not points in the paint which is what you might be referring to, I'm just interpreting it differently here. But my god, any high level talent we face this year can use this game/film as a blueprint to guard us the rest of the season. I'm seeing a lot of zone coming our way, Ollie better get to work...

Reaction Score
I like what I have seen so far. Remember 1990 when St John's beat us by 30 the first time we played, then we beat them later in the season on Gampel's opening night? My point is that it is a long season and to lose to Mich St so early is not the end of the world. I hope we play them in March. I like that they are playing hard and the looks on their faces tells me that they want to be good. We have 3 players who can compete with anyone, we need our role players to fill their roles. Gilbert has chance to be absolute stud.
I also like our offense, dominated by guards, that is our strength. Although I would love to see some of the quick hitters that JC utilized so well. Something I have noticed also is that we actually do have in bound plays.
I will also say that last year must have been so frustrating for the staff. There is so much that goes on that we have no idea about. I have coached and when you have a team of which the players are selfish or do not buy into what you are teaching it is really tough. Looks like this team is on board with the staff.
Feeling much better about my Huskies!

Reaction Score
Our guards plus Larrier are good enough but not without frontcourt help. It’s a hole we have had in the past and it continues although they fight for rebounds. Unskilled in the front. And there are times like last night where it will hurt us more than other times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom