"The gift of Gabby" in the Courant | The Boneyard

"The gift of Gabby" in the Courant

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
"If it was dominoes, if it was checkers, if it was horseshoes, she would just figure out how to win," said Williams' father, Matt. "She's just a perfectionist."

Simply gabbulous.

The Gift Of Gabby: Williams Will Do Whatever It Takes To Make UConn Better

She's not a Stewie or a DT...but Gabby is going to be one of my all time favorite huskies when it's all said and done.

Like Bilas said, she's the best player in college basketball this year.

But it's in such an unselfish way.

Reaction Score
Gabby is what you would hope an elite athlete would be like!
She is my favorite player on a team of favorite players!
She doesn't run down the court she lopes like a prized stallion!
She gives UCONN the one player, no matter who the opponent is that is unmatchable!
You know she can have a triple/double any game she plays!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Gabby is what you would hope an elite athlete would be like!
She is my favorite player on a team of favorite players!
She doesn't run down the court she lopes like a prized stallion!
She gives UCONN the one player, no matter who the opponent is that is unmatchable!
You know she can have a triple/double any game she plays!

I was gonna say she runs like a gazelle. lol

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Forget this year. Look at Gabby's play in this tournament. She's on a mission.
Her 14.something scoring average has ballooned to 21.5 in the tourney. She's shooting 64% from the field. Averaging 8 boards, 5 dimes and 3 steals a game.
She has been keeping the opponents honest by forcing them to defend her aggressively, the net result of which is that she's getting to the line almost 8 times a game (and since she's hitting 86% there, it's putting points on the board directly). Perhaps more importantly, she is getting key players in foul trouble. Drawing twice as many fouls as you commit is a big, big deal.
There is no-one else in the country like her. I know that KLS and Collier are the annointed stars, but in my eyes, Gabby is the most consistently impactful player on the team.
Plus, she's just so damned much fun to watch!

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Gabby's a throw-back player, I mean "old school" in terms of attitude and play. While it may be debatable who the best player is on the team, she increasingly gets my vote. No one beats her in sheer desire, intensity, attitude, and giving her all-out each game. She is a true warrior, an exemplary player who will provide great senior leadership needed for next season. No wonder Geno praised her so highly in her freshman year when he said how player's like Gabby made it worthwhile for him to keep coaching. Go Gabby Go!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Too bad she was the only one who showed up for the final four.
I heard they did as well...
AP_16311728859659-XL.jpg

Reaction Score
It was clear from the beginning that Gabby was the only one who was energized the entire game. She played her heart out as she usually does. Yes, she made mistakes and errant passes towards the end, but her strip of Morgan William and subsequent lay up kept Uconn in the game during at the 1 minute mark. These are college kids not professionals and it is a miracle that a game such as this didn't result in a loss earlier in the season. Miss St. played a superb game and their defense was well executed .....to the point that Uconn could not run their offense efficiently and was reduced to one on one basketball which ultimately was their downfall .

Reaction Score
Gabby's a throw-back player, I mean "old school" in terms of attitude and play. While it may be debatable who the best player is on the team, she increasingly gets my vote. No one beats her in sheer desire, intensity, attitude, and giving her all-out each game. She is a true warrior, an exemplary player who will provide great senior leadership needed for next season. No wonder Geno praised her so highly in her freshman year when he said how player's like Gabby made it worthwhile for him to keep coaching. Go Gabby Go!
I don't think it is a question of who can and who cannot handle the pressure. She is my vote for the best player on the team. She is not the highest scorer but her impact on the game is unquestionable. Everyone wilted under the bright lights. She did not.
"Best all around player in college basketball".

Reaction Score
I don't think it is a question of who can and who cannot handle the pressure. She is my vote for the best player on the team. She is not the highest scorer but her impact on the game is unquestionable. Everyone wilted under the bright lights. She did not.

Tell that your " everyone wilted under the bright lights " is hyperbole.
If not, you've lost any credibility you may have once had.

Reaction Score
Tell that your " everyone wilted under the bright lights " is hyperbole.
If not, you've lost any credibility you may have once had.
Your opinion. My credibility is not diminished by the statement. You don't like it. Tough.
The fact is that Gabby played above and beyond. The other players did not. NC, KLS and KN had every opportunity to put the team on their backs and win the game. It didn't happen.

Reaction Score
Your opinion. My credibility is not diminished by the statement. You don't like it. Tough.
The fact is that Gabby played above and beyond. The other players did not. NC, KLS and KN had every opportunity to put the team on their backs and win the game. It didn't happen.

The more you post, the more I'm convinced you haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.
Because players didn't put their team
"on their backs" that means they wilted ?
This team overachieved almost everyone's expectations at the start of the season. Did you think they would never lose another game ? And if not, what did you think that game would look like ?
I can tell you exactly what it would look like. It would look like yesterday's game.

Reaction Score
The more you post, the more I'm convinced you haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.
Because players didn't put their team
"on their backs" that means they wilted ?
This team overachieved almost everyone's expectations at the start of the season. Did you think they would never lose another game ? And if not, what did you think that game would look like ?
I can tell you exactly what it would look like. It would look like yesterday's game.
The more you post the more you show you can't handle anything contrary to your narrow viewpoint.

Since you are following my posts you should know that I have said that this team exceeded all expectations. I gave kudos where it is due. But you didn't see that huh?

You must have not read the game thread where people were saying that some of the guys choked. I didn't see your outrage or condemnation. Others have posted that specific players were scared. I didn't see you speak up on there behalf.

Some are placing all the blame on Chong. Where's your support for her?

Does my positive post about Gabby get your goat? Is it that my post speaks to under performance of others?

You don't like what I've posted. Tough.
Can we say William put her team on her back and carried them through. Yes.
You don't like what I posted in the other thread about KLS.

A poster said only one player showed up for the final four. Wow. No comment from you. Okay.

The fact is one player on our team upped their game through the entire tournament -consistently produced. Others on our team did not. The numbers don't lie.

Reaction Score
The more you post the more you show you can't handle anything contrary to your narrow viewpoint.

Since you are following my posts you should know that I have said that this team exceeded all expectations. I gave kudos where it is due. But you didn't see that huh?

You must have not read the game thread where people were saying that some of the guys choked. I didn't see your outrage or condemnation. Others have posted that specific players were scared. I didn't see you speak up on there behalf.

Some are placing all the blame on Chong. Where's your support for her?

Does my positive post about Gabby get your goat? Is it that my post speaks to under performance of others?

You don't like what I've posted. Tough.
Can we say William put her team on her back and carried them through. Yes.
You don't like what I posted in the other thread about KLS.

A poster said only one player showed up for the final four. Wow. No comment from you. Okay.

The fact is one player on our team upped their game through the entire tournament -consistently produced. Others on our team did not. The numbers don't lie.

Did I hurt your feelings ?
I didn't realize that a poster who would write that "the whole team wilted" couldn't take a little criticism. I'll try to be a little more gentle with you in the future. Provided, of course, that your posts make some sense.
Listing other posts that I didn't respond to displays just a wee bit of a persecution complex. It's like the speeding driver complaining about his ticket because other drivers were speeding too.

Reaction Score
Did I hurt your feelings ?
I didn't realize that a poster who would write that "the whole team wilted" couldn't take a little criticism. I'll try to be a little more gentle with you in the future. Provided, of course, that your posts make some sense.
Listing other posts that I didn't respond to displays just a wee bit of a persecution complex. It's like the speeding driver complaining about his ticket because other drivers were speeding too.
And there is the ad hominem attacks. No-one is hurt by your posts but you.

I pointed out your inconsistencies. It is you that is not making any sense. You commented on my posts and your opinion of them. Now when I reference posts contrary to your knee-jerk reaction I'm hurt. Okay.

Get over yourself and your self importance.

Reaction Score
And there is the ad hominem attacks. No-one is hurt by your posts but you.

I pointed out your inconsistencies. It is you that is not making any sense. You commented on my posts and your opinion of them. Now when I reference posts contrary to your knee-jerk reaction I'm hurt. Okay.

Get over yourself and your self importance.

I'll give it one last try. In an earlier post, in this thread, you said:
" I don't think it's a question of who can and who cannot handle the pressure " and, in the same post,
" Everyone wilted under the bright lights. She did not " .
So, which is it ?
If it wasn't a question of handling the pressure, how could everyone have wilted under the bright lights ?
You don't see a contradiction in this ?

Reaction Score
I'll give it one last try. In an earlier post, in this thread, you said:
" I don't think it's a question of who can and who cannot handle the pressure " and, in the same post,
" Everyone wilted under the bright lights. She did not " .
So, which is it ?
If it wasn't a question of handling the pressure, how could everyone have wilted under the bright lights ?
You don't see a contradiction in this ?
Nice try. But no.
The one post speaks directly to Gabby handling the pressure and the other says everyone but Gabby wilted.

I know your type. Keep trying though. It's admirable.

Reaction Score
Nice try. But no.
The one post speaks directly to Gabby handling the pressure and the other says everyone but Gabby wilted.

I know your type. Keep trying though. It's admirable.

Thank you for those kind words. It really means a lot to me !
If the post was directed only at Gabby,
it makes even less sense, if that's possible.
"Who can and cannot handle the pressure" refers to everybody on the team and not a specific person.
The only way you could interpret that statement, as applying to only one person, is if you are a political speech writer.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
During the tourney, she scored 1 point less than Collier. Nurse was next, but 26 points behind Gabby. Samuelson had an awful tourney shooting-wise.

They lost the game more on rebounding and turnovers than anything else. They actually outshot MS from the field and from 3, percentage-wise. But allowed MS way too many 2nd and 3rd chance shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom