The Gabulous One Not Ignored | The Boneyard

The Gabulous One Not Ignored

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Rarely a game has gone by, especially when the record-setting UConn women’s basketball team is on the road, when audible gasps aren’t heard when Gabby Williams soars over her taller opponents to snare a rebound just a matter of inches from the rim."

UConn’s Gabby Williams proving to be more than just a dynamic athlete

“There are a lot of athletic players who can’t do what she can do,” Auriemma said. “Being a great athlete is one thing, but being intelligent enough to know how to take advantage and use your athletic ability and know the game well enough to be able to do something, that is the kind of stuff she’s doing.”

This from Kia: " A lot of people just see her athleticism and that’s it but Gabby does a lot of things out there that make her a great basketball player. The way she passes the ball, the way she finds people, her cuts, how hard she works. A lot of people will just say she is an athletic person but it is so much more than that.”

Big, cheese eating grin from moi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby in action

gabby-williams-of-the-connecticut-huskies-pulls-in-a-rebound-while-picture-id636220436

Reaction Score
I must admit, when Gabby is subbed out of the game, I quit watching every play and just listen to fan noise to gage when to rewind. When I see that she is back on the floor, I'll rewind until I find where she re-entered the game, and watch it from that point until she is subbed out again. She and Lou(when Lou is on offense), are incredibly fun, exciting, and entertaining to watch!

Reaction Score
One might say that Gabby has grown by leaps and bounds (and blocks and assists and steals as well). I hope she knows how much the fans of women's basketball appreciate her energy and effort. I know I do.

Reaction Score
My favorite sequence of Gabby's play was the first couple of minutes of the third quarter against ND. She deflected a shot on one series and then stole a bounce pass from Young and fed Kia for a layup that made Geno come out and pull her to the side to talk to her during the timeout. He recognized her play right on the spot and I believe he told her so. She is definitely not ignored by me. I also echo Wolfdog'so sentiments.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One might say that Gabby has grown by leaps and bounds (and blocks and assists and steals as well). I hope she knows how much the fans of women's basketball appreciate her energy and effort. I know I do.
I think you would have gotten more likes from the dimmer bulbs on this forum if you had enhanced your punctuation:

"...grown by leaps and 'bounds ..."

Reaction Score
Gabby is a beautiful beast! She can take over any game at any moment. Her immense physical gifts are matched by high basketball IQ and mental toughness. Geno is right, you're expecting her to do this every night now, watch how well she plays against South Carolina.
She outplayed Brianna Turner and will showup big time against Aja Wilson.... book it

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I must admit, when Gabby is subbed out of the game, I quit watching every play and just listen to fan noise to gage when to rewind. When I see that she is back on the floor, I'll rewind until I find where she re-entered the game, and watch it from that point until she is subbed out again. She and Lou(when Lou is on offense), are incredibly fun, exciting, and entertaining to watch!
When Gabby is on the floor, lots of good things happen. Often the defensive intensity wanes when she is subbed out.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
When Gabby is on the floor, lots of good things happen. Often the defensive intensity wanes when she is subbed out.

Perfect example of ball-hawking and anticipating: look at the Tulsa replay, at 3:42 of the second period. Gabby covers her man cutting to the basket from the opposite side of the court, but then sees the Tulsa wing looking to pass to a teammate along the lane. Gabby leaves her man before the pass is in the air, cuts in front of the intended receiver to make an easy interception. A gamble, but we don't often see her gambles not paying off. That's a bit of aggressive defense Sales often demonstrated. Abrosimova also used to play a sort of free safety, anticipating passes before they were made. (Though Sveta was not as disciplined defensively overall.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The word-of-mouth is building. You notice that Gabby is every new announcing teams' favorite player? Her "wow" plays draw attention, then one notices all of the other parts to her game. She's a perfect compliment to the skills of the other players. A rare commodity, a star who is also true "glue guy".

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I think you would have gotten more likes from the dimmer bulbs on this forum if you had enhanced your punctuation:

"...grown by leaps and 'bounds ..."

Is that like Eats, Shoots and Leaves?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom