OT: - The Future of FOX and The Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The Future of FOX and The Big East

Reaction Score
Would UConn actually make more money if they were independent and sold men’s and women’s basketball rights vs what we’ll get from the Big East?

Reaction Score
Where you going, to a shell of the ACC once Florida State and Clemson leave ?
Honestly, playing Duke, UNC, Virginia, plus brining back old rivals like Cuse, Pitt, ND and Louisville is arguably a more interesting mix of teams than what we play now. But losing the BET in NY would suck. Also if the rest of the ACC falls apart.

Reaction Score
Whatever network we end up with for our next contract might end up being less than half of what our overall media deal ends up being. The athletic dept has been in talks with HBO and others about contracts for additional content beyond just the games. If I were the Big East here I wouldn’t be signing a long term deal. There is a huge amount of consolidation that will be happening with media companies over the next couple years. The interesting part is that there is still big $$ and viewership in live sports and whatever streaming or media company can capture more of that pie is going to be one of just a couple winners.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
The Big East hasn't discussed adding those schools, it's discussed by one guy on a message board.

I still have no idea what Queens is.
Yes exactly. We're in a conference where fans spitball in all seriousness that random midmajor schools would make swell conference additions. I'd like to know where Queens is too.

Reaction Score
Yes exactly. We're in a conference where fans spitball in all seriousness that random midmajor schools would make swell conference additions. I'd like to know where Queens is too.
Like the college in Charlotte? Or Queens College in NY?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The league needs to add Gonzaga and go to a 22-game double round robin schedule. It is significantly more inventory for a network or networks, it brings in a top 5 college basketball TV brand, and you would likely average 6 bids a year (half the league). Ackerman needs to get it done.

Reaction Score
The world is vastly different than when Dave Gavitt put together the original Big East. Not only for conferences but for the schools. They largely drew their fan bases from nearby communities. 1979 was the first year Rhode Island residents did not make up the majority of the student body. St John’s didn’t have dorms until 1999. Georgetown drew mostly from Philadelphia to Richmond. Point is that most of these schools no longer draw their students from the local community. And the decline in Catholic life impacts them too. They drew fans from local Catholic parishes, who were often home to alums. So now they need to compete with national programs for fans. Fans in Providence or Queens are as likely to follow Purdue or North Carolina as they are the Friars now a days. There is no natural attraction unless they are good.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The world is vastly different than when Dave Gavitt put together the original Big East. Not only for conferences but for the schools. They largely drew their fan bases from nearby communities. 1979 was the first year Rhode Island residents did not make up the majority of the student body. St John’s didn’t have dorms until 1999. Georgetown drew mostly from Philadelphia to Richmond. Point is that most of these schools no longer draw their students from the local community. And the decline in Catholic life impacts them too. They drew fans from local Catholic parishes, who were often home to alums. So now they need to compete with national programs for fans. Fans in Providence or Queens are as likely to follow Purdue or North Carolina as they are the Friars now a days. There is no natural attraction unless they are good.
Providence is the most popular college basketball team in RI and some of southeastern MA.

Reaction Score
The Big East would put up big numbers on ESPN. It always did in the old days. I observe what my son, my nephews and young cousins do. They go to ESPN first, then they use the guide and choose games between ranked teams. They will often end up on Fox but they always start on ESPN.

I noticed that UConn highlights, commentary and commercials showing UConn have been all ofer ESPN this week, particularly this weekend. Now Game Day is going to Storrs, the Big East to ESPN vibes are out there.

Edit: unless UConn to ACC or B12 vibes are out there.

Reaction Score
This is verbal diarrhea, you suffer from it often.

Reaction Score
On spaces last night it was mentioned that the BIG 12 is joining FOX next year. With how FOX has prioritized the BIG 10 over the Big East, how will the Big East be treated when a conference better than the BIG 10 joins FOX?
Whose spaces? It was already known that B12 would show games with Fox, it's not new news.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
No need. Depaul brings the Chicago market.
Swag Trying Not To Laugh GIF by AfterThis
You are kidding, Right?

Reaction Score
Love SLU for the Big East, once we are out
Even in St. Louis itself and nearby burbs, interest and support for Mizzou, Illinois, and potentially even other more distant large, regional public universities likely far exceed that for St Louis U. Just another small private school (7,500 undergrads) with minimalist national brand.

Reaction Score
The league needs to add Gonzaga and go to a 22-game double round robin schedule. It is significantly more inventory for a network or networks, it brings in a top 5 college basketball TV brand, and you would likely average 6 bids a year (half the league). Ackerman needs to get it done.
No

Reaction Score
What is Queens? Queens College? Queens University?

I can't tell if you're trolling.
Well we almost got in the Big 12 on our own, to the point where ADs from the Big 12 said UConn was on deck until Utah joined and completed the Four Corner schools. Couple that with it doesn't seem too reasonable that Fox would want to let go of one of its juggernauts
some schools really want UConn, some really don’t

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom