The final 5:33 of the first half tonight | The Boneyard

The final 5:33 of the first half tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When watching in real-time, I didn't realize what a run UConn went on the last 5:33 of the first half. In fact, UConn was only up 28-16 at this point, but ended the half up 53-23. The score at the 5:33 mark was noted in a recap I read on ESPN.com, so I had to go back and re-watch this stretch. I present to you the anatomy of a 25-7 run in just five minutes and 33 seconds:

5:33 28-16

5:18- Dolson fouled in the act, hits two FTs. 30-16

5:06- Banks with the steal and clean-path layup. 32-16

4:48- Faris fouled on a rebound attempt. UConn in single bonus. Kelly nails both FTs. 34-16

4:27- UConn rebounds and starts running. Hartley pulls back behind the three point line, seems to be setting up the halfcourt offense, but passes quickly to Stef at the foul line. Stef has an open shot from that position because DePaul hasn't set up their defense yet. Shot is on the money. 36-16, eight points in 1:06. TO DePaul.

3:55- after another turonver forced by UConn, the break goes from Bria to Kelly, who passes to a wide open KML in the bottom corner. KML hits the three-ball with ease. 39-16

3:22- a backcourt violation by DePaul gives the ball to UConn after the under-four-minute timeout. KML does her best Tiff impression by driving aggressively to the basket and gets knocked to floor. Two FTs later, and it's 41-16

3:08- DePaul finally scores. 41-18

2:50- Kelly drives right at Anna Martin, who gets called for the blocking foul. UConn in bonus, Kelly hits two FTs. 43-18

2:34- sweet layup off the dribble drive by DePaul. 43-20

2:10- KML passes inside the arc to Bria, who draws the defense and then passes back out to KML for an open three-pointer. KML gets a lucky bounce off the iron and the backboard, and the ball drops in. 46-20

1:46- KML steals and leads a break. She passes to Kelly, who draws a blocking foul. Kelly goes 1-2 from the stripe. 47-20

1:16- UConn forces a turnover on a held ball. Tiff drives to the hoop, misses a wild layup, gets her own rebound, and is fouled on the putback attempt. She hits the first free throw but misses the second. 48-20, and KML rebounds the missed FT...

1:05...which results in an offensive set that leads to a wide open three-point shot for Bria. 51-20. TO DePaul.

0:13- After DePaul is called for a charge on Tiff, Tiff throws a pretty entry pass into KML, who is posted up. Layup for KML, 53-20

0:01- Bria commits a silly foul on a desperation three-point heave by DePaul. Three FTs later, and it's 53-23. Halftime

In summary, during this stretch, UConn:

• Came away with points on every real offensive possession (technically, there was one instance where UConn had possession but lost it trying to set up a transition breakout).
  • Went 6-7 from the field, including 3-3 from three-point range
  • Went 10-12 from the line
  • Forced six turnovers
  • Got 10 points from KML
Now THAT is some beautiful basketball.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Feel a little sorry for Anna Martin, who drew the UConn shut-down-the best-scorer thing last night, due to the absence of Kesha Hampton, who would have drawn that attention if she were playing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I arrived home from work and turned on the game when the score was 28-16 and the run alex described was just beginning. By halftime, I knew I had no idea what type of basketball was played during the first 14 minutes of the game, but the last 6 minutes was really, really impressive. It was fun to watch, though I wish it were not at DePaul's expense.

BTW, after the game last night Doug Bruno said that in his opinion 4 teams have a chance to win the national championship: Baylor, UConn, ND and Stanford.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I arrived home from work and turned on the game when the score was 28-16 and the run alex described was just beginning. By halftime, I knew I had no idea what type of basketball was played during the first 14 minutes of the game, but the last 6 minutes was really, really impressive. It was fun to watch, though I wish it were not at DePaul's expense.

BTW, after the game last night Doug Bruno said that in his opinion 4 teams have a chance to win the national championship: Baylor, UConn, ND and Stanford.
I think Doug also said that Duke, TN and maybe Maryland were in the "next tier". He was talking about that level as what his team is always striving for.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
That will start a firestorm you-know-where.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't believe he mentioned TN. I think he said Duke, KY , and then maybe went on to mention MD, although not sure if there was a third.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
You might be right Phil, I did not pay very close attention.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Doug also said that Duke, TN and maybe Maryland were in the "next tier". He was talking about that level as what his team is always striving for.
No, he did not mention TN, Phil's memory is correct about Duke and KY, then MD.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That will start a firestorm you-know-where.

Bruno had the opportunity to watch Tenn up close as DePaul played the vols in the Maggie Dixon Classic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doug also said that the Huskies are on a mission--to prove that they can win without Maya.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The OP focuses on a stretch in the game in which the UConn offense was explosive. At the other extreme, once account of the game (Chicago Tribune) noted that the UConn defense held DePaul to 5 points on their first 14 possessions.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The OP focuses on a stretch in the game in which the UConn offense was explosive. At the other extreme, once account of the game (Chicago Tribune) noted that the UConn defense held DePaul to 5 points on their first 14 possessions.
They should have held DePaul to four points here but for the bad foul with one second left on a shot that had no chance of going in.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They should have held DePaul to four points here but for the bad foul with one second left on a shot that had no chance of going in.
Now that is Geno like.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'll fess... I turned the game off at the half, avoiding any Caroline news... will restart the game at that point....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
can you recap the last 8 minutes of the 2nd half...

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Keep that up for an entire game would be unreal. I'd love to see it happen though...Preferably vs ND/Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom